JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Like some others my pocket carry is a last resort, I would much rather carry my kimber raptor or even cz85, but there are times when that's not possible, and a small .380 in your pocket will work way better than a .45 that's at home.

The best choice is something you know you'll never leave at home.

Well to me a pocket gun is a gun you leave in your pocket when SHTF, so the five guys robbing you don't get mad and ''Kill'' you. ;)
Pocket gun or not, I have a gun for every situation. Hard to use 1 gun for every situation, as for the 5 robbers well I have 5 little friends that they won't be happy to meet up with.

I've carried a walther p22 with mini mags on occasion when I needed a very light gun and not going into iffy parts of town.

Put thousands of rounds thru it and when clean it has been very reliable, rimfire or not.

On several occasions I have had the need for a small concealed pistol that I could carry in my pocket. For instance when I'm riding a motor cycle. I could then put it in my coat pocket.

The trouble that I am running into is something that fits me and my big ol mitts I call hands.o_O

I've had a Kel-Tec P32 since 2006 and like it a lot for a very light carrying pistol. I have large hands too, so the extended 10-round magazines were acquired for that reason, though having an extra 3 rounds on tap is nice too. They make a .380 ACP version too. I know the Kel-Tecs have a mixed reputation, but this particular one has been trouble-free. If I can carry something larger, I do, though.

I've had a Kel-Tec P32 since 2006 and like it a lot for a very light carrying pistol. I have large hands too, so the extended 10-round magazines were acquired for that reason, though having an extra 3 rounds on tap is nice too. They make a .380 ACP version too. I know the Kel-Tecs have a mixed reputation, but this particular one has been trouble-free. If I can carry something larger, I do, though.

I have actually thought about Kel-Tec my buddy has one and I really like it. But it just feels a little small in my hand.

I'm in the minority amongst all the Glock folks... i love my Springfield XD's, and when I do pocket carry, I am more than comfortable pocket carrying the XD-s in a Mike's, or my LCR .357 with .38+p loads.

I don't know if 5-7 rounds would stop a group of folks, but have a feeling that after the first couple loud noises, the rest might decide it's not worth it or pause long enough for me to refill.

Last Edited:
I appreciate everyone's response. I would rather have a 9mm since I am already stocked up on that ammo.o_O

I will check out some of the options but it sounds like the Glock 43 might be the ticket

Your. Choice 6 or 7rd mag
Micro 9

20161004_165854.jpg

I just got home from picking up a new LCP II. Frankly, this thread got me looking into it and a quick trip to the LGS made it follow me home. I will say, the trigger is absolutely AMAZING compared to my old LCP Custom. Night and day difference. I will shoot it soon, but initial impression is great.

I picked up an LCP II last week and have been playing with it. Ruger's warning in the manual that it may fire if dropped and there being no firing pin block on it, so it only relies on the sear to keep the fully cocked hammer in place, has me a bit less enthused. The manual states it can only be carried safely without a round in the chamber. I don't see much point in that.

The trigger is really no better than my Kahr CW380, except the reset is a little shorter. The sights aren't great either. I'm not recommending the LCP II at this point.

TCP blew up in my hand the other day, never going that small again. I got the G43 and I'm in paradise. it's light so it has a little kick, although it's more of a push than a kick. grip fits my big mits like a glove. fits in my pockets easy with only a little printing and you can get the clip draw for it to carry it however you'd like.

I bought 2 of these when they hit, P-32. Had to get on a waiting list. When first one showed I was really let down. felt like an expensive toy. Went back to the range and had to come back out front a couple times for more ammo. Last trip out I got back on the list for another. FAR from perfect caliber wise. It is a pistol I will always carry though. Have one of the P-11's too. Replaced a 5 shot .38 that went with one child when she moved out on her own. Works for me for coat pocket carry which is what the .38 was for.

On several occasions I have had the need for a small concealed pistol that I could carry in my pocket. For instance when I'm riding a motor cycle. I could then put it in my coat pocket.

The trouble that I am running into is something that fits me and my big ol mitts I call hands.o_O

If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears.
If you want a samll gun, you have to compromise with your big mitts. I'm small, 5'2" and this gun I don't even feel. It's a Ruger LCP .380, seven rounds. You can buy a thin rubber wrap around grip and longer mag extensions for your grip. The .380 packs a punch. I bought a metal clip that attaches easily to the gun, then I slide the clip so it hooks on my pocket with the gun "hanging" in the inside of my pocket. I don't even feel it! That's the best I have. Good luck.
You c an also purchase off market magazines that hold 10 andd 15 rounds for this gun.
Sifu

I picked up an LCP II last week and have been playing with it. Ruger's warning in the manual that it may fire if dropped and there being no firing pin block on it, so it only relies on the sear to keep the fully cocked hammer in place, has me a bit less enthused. The manual states it can only be carried safely without a round in the chamber. I don't see much point in that.

The trigger is really no better than my Kahr CW380, except the reset is a little shorter. The sights aren't great either. I'm not recommending the LCP II at this point.

ALL Ruger semi-auto manuals state that exact same warning. The LCP, the American, the SR series and now the LCP II. It's just them covering their rear-ends in case someone has a ND with one of their products.

If you want a samll gun, you have to compromise with your big mitts.

I would have to respectfully disagree with that statement having hands that wil cramp into XL gloves but xxl is much more comfortable. (Both the CPX and P22 in above posts fit my hand great and small pocket guns).

That being said - there is a lot less out there that fit comfortably no doubt about it.

ALL Ruger semi-auto manuals state that exact same warning. The LCP, the American, the SR series and now the LCP II. It's just them covering their rear-ends in case someone has a ND with one of their products.

Good to know. The hammer is fully cocked on the LCP II. It seems like carrying a cocked 1911 without even having a lock available. Sure, it can be done but I think there are better alternatives.

I'm in love with my Springfield Subcompact XD9 ...very natural ergonomics that fit my big hands (I'm both big and tall) and it just naturally hits what you want it to hit... no issues with loose grip or funky grip requirements. It just shoots. And it's small enough where nobody notices when it's in a pocket or even riding in a holster. That said, I now lust after the new XD Subcompact .45 ACP .... If I had a buyer for the 9mm, I'd sell it and turn right around and buy the .45. Who knows?

I like the LCP too, but it doesn't fit my particular hands (large palm, long fingers) very well, and neither does the LCR. The XD's mentioned above do... Your mileage may vary - go grip one at the store, reasonably tightly, aim at something, close your eyes a few seconds and then open them ...if the sights moved left or right, you weren't standing so that your natural point of aim was at the target (no biggy for this exercise). If the sights moved above or below the target, then the grip angle may not be right for you. I believe the XD series has the same grip angle as the beloved 1911s if I recall, known for naturally pointing.

Good luck in your quest.

Brian

Well, I think the older I get, the more Fudd I get, but for me it's all about the j-frame. I rock a S&W 442 in a PCS pocket holster. I have largish hands (at least my wife says I do), and the stock Smith grips were a little small. I replaced them with a set of Hogue bantam grips. The Hogues really made a difference for me, in terms of how well I can keep a hold on it while shooting +P loads.

I also have a Glock 43, and as long as I have an extended mag of some kind in it, it fits my hand kinda sorta acceptably well. However, it hasn't knocked the 442 off the throne. It does hide nice and easy in a Desantis pocket holster though.

One part of that decision, for me anyway, is some concern about pocket carrying an auto. Now I know - I know - that everyone regularly tears down and cleans their carry guns. Right? Right?!?!

However, I know of at least one fellow who drew and shot his auto, from a pocket holster, during an earnest social interaction. The first round discharged, but his pistol then jammed, I think an FTF, due to pocket lint. Fortunately, his first shot encouraged a hasty resolution to the situation. However, his story experience stuck with me, and helped med decide on a small-size wheelgun. Maybe a strange choice for a southpaw, but it has always gone bang when I've pulled the trigger.

Sorry - I guess that's probably a different conversation. Hmm, revolver vs. automatic. Do you suppose anyone has had that discussion before? ;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top