JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree they do, but there are Three Distinct Bullet Shapes..... The Penetrator, The Defender, and the Cavitator. They do not offer the Cavitator in 380. Only .30 Carbine and your favorite .32 Auto, if they offered Cavitator in 380 I would own it.

This is why I won't hesitate to carry my little Zastava M70 in .32 ACP using Underwood's Cavitator. It's a single-action, all-steel pistol that, with the proper ammunition, can "tear someone a new one" in a heartbeat.

You really have to love that Underwood Cavitator ammunition.

I like the mouse guns, and have carried a few (.25 acp and up).

But life on the farm has taught me that there are times when I need to stop something in its tracks, and the lighter calibers just don't do that very well. Last experience along these lines was with a 9mm. The critter in question did die, but was able to travel quite a distance after being shot.

Nowadays I pocket carry a Smith & Wesson 640, loaded with Winchester white-box .357 110 grain jhp's. It's the stoutest load I can comfortably and accurately shoot through this little gun. The fact that the gun is stainless makes it a bit heavier, but I don't mind. The extra weight helps with the recoil.

Not sure about the hand size thing, but there's probably a grip out there your size that you could put onto a 640. But then, could you fit it into a pocket?

Last Edited:
I'm telling you right now, the .380 is a great beneficiary of Underwood's Extreme Cavitator/Defender. This permits the .380 to penetrate while using hydraulics to disrupt tissue. In both .380 and .32 ACP, believe me, penetration is your friend!

Careful, you'll make YouTube's tactical beard guys with tatted up arms angry if they hear you mention "hydraulics to disrupt tissue". Personally I prefer the XTP bullet for a 380 since they peal back all the way when expanded allowing for optimal penetration; and if they don't expand the steep bullet angle causes them to tumble in every test that I have seen.

I bought some Underwood's Extreme Cavitators for my wife's Kel Tec P32 but need to run several magazines through it to insure proper feeding.

Last Edited:
Careful, you'll make YouTube's tactical beard guys with tatted up arms angry if they hear you mention "hydraulics to disrupt tissue". Personally I prefer the XTP bullet for a 380 since they peal back all the way when expanded allowing for optimal penetration; and if they don't expand the steep bullet angle causes them to tumble in every test that I have seen.

I bought some Underwood's Extreme Cavitators for my wife's Kel Tec P32 but need to run several magazines through it to insure proper feeding.

Sorry, I have seen enough real street performance and gelatin tests to prove that the effective performance of hollow point ammunition in the .380 ACP is a pipe dream. They just don't have the velocity to penetrate flesh and bone sufficiently to reach vital organs. This is where Underwood's solid copper design comes to the fore. The copper projectile isn't required to expand at all in order to disrupt flesh. It is light enough and to penetrate and the bullet design uses hydraulic dynamics to accomplish its mission.

I repeat, when it comes to the .380 ACP as well as the .32 Auto, penetration is your friend. By the way, tats have always failed to impress me... solid verifiable performance does!

Smith and wesson shield, 9mm. Loves everything I feed it. Don't be a wimp and try to feed it some sub-sonic suppresser candy. A 124gr. Xtp leaving the muzzel at 1100fps. Is putting 1 half inch holes in everything it connects with. Throw it on the dash of the pick-up while in transit, in back pocket of bib overalls while shopping, banking etc.
Heard from the "experts" online that it won't cycle reloads:
Wrong!!!:s0018:

Smith and wesson shield, 9mm. Loves everything I feed it. Don't be a wimp and try to feed it some sub-sonic suppresser candy. A 124gr. Xtp leaving the muzzel at 1100fps. Is putting 1 half inch holes in everything it connects with. Throw it on the dash of the pick-up while in transit, in back pocket of bib overalls while shopping, banking etc.
Heard from the "experts" online that it won't cycle reloads:
Wrong!!!:s0018:
I have a 45 Shield and while I know the 9 MM is smaller, I still think it is too big for pocket carry, most people don't have big pockets like bib overalls have

Cool, carry what you want then. I do know this though, if I do need to protect myself or others, that my shield will have another chambered round backing me up regardless of the latest "super ammo" . Another thing is, I can hit something with it because it fits my hand. Just me.

9mm shield is physically smaller than a 45 shield?
Yes it is, I don't have one (9MM), but a third of an inch in length anyway. Mine definitely sticks out of the top of front pocket with jeans. I use a IWB Kydex or a belly band for it. I wanted to carry My G-29, but like the Shield 45 it peeks out of the top of the pocket. I can carry the G-26/27/33 so I use the G-33 which is 357 Sig, not a 45, a compromise is what I was left with. A 3.3 XDS 45 will fit in my pocket but it is 5+1 and I wanted more capacity, my 33 is 9+1. The Shield 45 is 6+1

I am on board with the 100 Grain Xtreme Defender for our Ruger LCR 38 Special after getting inconsistent expansion with several boxes of premium hollowpoints out of the 1.87" barrel.

I've had good luck with the Kahr CM9, feeds anything I've asked it to. I had a CW380 for a while but the size difference wasn't enough to justify the smaller caliber for me. It is bigger for a pocket pistol but is significantly smaller than the Glock 43 without sacrificing capacity . It also has a very revolver like trigger pull.

I have pocket carried S&W J-frames, a bobbed hammer 637, a five shot 38 Special, and a 351 PD, a seven shot 22 Magnum and they both fit in my pocket. For some reason I never tried doing that with a LCR even though I have 22, 327 and 38 versions. I do not have a pocket holster for a LCR is one good reason, and my favorite the 327 has a longer grip on it, maybe too long for a pocket. I will get some of that Underwood 38 ammo though

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top