Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Pocket carry pistol

Discussion in 'Semi-Automatic Pistols' started by SKrueger, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Pandaz3

Pandaz3 Cornelius, Oregon NRA Lifetime Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

I agree they do, but there are Three Distinct Bullet Shapes..... The Penetrator, The Defender, and the Cavitator. They do not offer the Cavitator in 380. Only .30 Carbine and your favorite .32 Auto, if they offered Cavitator in 380 I would own it.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  2. Captain O

Captain O St. Helens, OR Well-Known Member

This is why I won't hesitate to carry my little Zastava M70 in .32 ACP using Underwood's Cavitator. It's a single-action, all-steel pistol that, with the proper ammunition, can "tear someone a new one" in a heartbeat.

You really have to love that Underwood Cavitator ammunition.

Pandaz3 likes this.
  3. aikikenjitsu

aikikenjitsu Puyallup, Wa 98372 Active Member

I think they do; research it.

4. Pandaz3

Pandaz3 Cornelius, Oregon NRA Lifetime Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

I did or I would not have posted it.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  5. Howard1955

Howard1955 Dallas, Oregon Well-Known Member

I like the mouse guns, and have carried a few (.25 acp and up).

But life on the farm has taught me that there are times when I need to stop something in its tracks, and the lighter calibers just don't do that very well. Last experience along these lines was with a 9mm. The critter in question did die, but was able to travel quite a distance after being shot.

Nowadays I pocket carry a Smith & Wesson 640, loaded with Winchester white-box .357 110 grain jhp's. It's the stoutest load I can comfortably and accurately shoot through this little gun. The fact that the gun is stainless makes it a bit heavier, but I don't mind. The extra weight helps with the recoil.

Not sure about the hand size thing, but there's probably a grip out there your size that you could put onto a 640. But then, could you fit it into a pocket?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    Sgt Nambu likes this.
  6. aikikenjitsu

aikikenjitsu Puyallup, Wa 98372 Active Member

7. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

Careful, you'll make YouTube's tactical beard guys with tatted up arms angry if they hear you mention "hydraulics to disrupt tissue". Personally I prefer the XTP bullet for a 380 since they peal back all the way when expanded allowing for optimal penetration; and if they don't expand the steep bullet angle causes them to tumble in every test that I have seen.

I bought some Underwood's Extreme Cavitators for my wife's Kel Tec P32 but need to run several magazines through it to insure proper feeding.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    jrd541280 likes this.
  8. Captain O

Captain O St. Helens, OR Well-Known Member

Sorry, I have seen enough real street performance and gelatin tests to prove that the effective performance of hollow point ammunition in the .380 ACP is a pipe dream. They just don't have the velocity to penetrate flesh and bone sufficiently to reach vital organs. This is where Underwood's solid copper design comes to the fore. The copper projectile isn't required to expand at all in order to disrupt flesh. It is light enough and to penetrate and the bullet design uses hydraulic dynamics to accomplish its mission.

I repeat, when it comes to the .380 ACP as well as the .32 Auto, penetration is your friend. By the way, tats have always failed to impress me... solid verifiable performance does!

9. Pandaz3

I do have several boxes of Underwood XTP's in 380, I think I will use them.

10. jrd541280

jrd541280 tri-cities Active Member

Smith and wesson shield, 9mm. Loves everything I feed it. Don't be a wimp and try to feed it some sub-sonic suppresser candy. A 124gr. Xtp leaving the muzzel at 1100fps. Is putting 1 half inch holes in everything it connects with. Throw it on the dash of the pick-up while in transit, in back pocket of bib overalls while shopping, banking etc.
    Heard from the "experts" online that it won't cycle reloads:
    Wrong!!!:s0018:

Alexx1401 likes this.
  11. Pandaz3

I have a 45 Shield and while I know the 9 MM is smaller, I still think it is too big for pocket carry, most people don't have big pockets like bib overalls have

12. jrd541280

Cool, carry what you want then. I do know this though, if I do need to protect myself or others, that my shield will have another chambered round backing me up regardless of the latest "super ammo" . Another thing is, I can hit something with it because it fits my hand. Just me.

13. jrd541280

9mm shield is physically smaller than a 45 shield?

14. Pandaz3

Yes it is, I don't have one (9MM), but a third of an inch in length anyway. Mine definitely sticks out of the top of front pocket with jeans. I use a IWB Kydex or a belly band for it. I wanted to carry My G-29, but like the Shield 45 it peeks out of the top of the pocket. I can carry the G-26/27/33 so I use the G-33 which is 357 Sig, not a 45, a compromise is what I was left with. A 3.3 XDS 45 will fit in my pocket but it is 5+1 and I wanted more capacity, my 33 is 9+1. The Shield 45 is 6+1

15. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

I am on board with the 100 Grain Xtreme Defender for our Ruger LCR 38 Special after getting inconsistent expansion with several boxes of premium hollowpoints out of the 1.87" barrel.

16. Alexx1401

Alexx1401 Pierce County WA Well-Known Member

There is no gun that will not work with reloads as long as the loads are made correctly. I suspect the "experts" you read tried some of their own and did not bother to try to find out what they were doing wrong. ;)

17. twowheels

twowheels portland, OR Active Member

My shield runs my reloads just fine. My shield is extremely reliable which is one thing I really like about it.

jrd541280 and Alexx1401 like this.