JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm getting tooled up to load .30 carbine and I'm looking at bullets. Xtreme sells a 110 grain bullet that is looking mighty attractive https://www.xtremebullets.com/30-CARB-110-RN-p/xc30carb-110rn-b0500.htm

I've used plated bullets extensively but always at low velocity, under 1500 fps, and had no problems. 30 carbine though is a much faster round, like 1900-2000 fps, and I really doubt the carbine would cycle with lower velocity ammo. Has anyone used these and found them satisfactory at normal 30 carbine pressures and velocities? Xtreme specifically sells these as .30 carbine bullets and I would hope they would understand that that means higher velocities than pistol rounds.

Coated or plated? Plated might have more of a velocity limit than coated. A quick email ought to answer this - but they are the sellers.
Castboolits might have a thread on them, or similar.
PPU makes 71gr. .308 HPs that might be an excellent short range defense bullet.

Last Edited:
Coated or plated? Plated might have more of a velocity limit than coated. A quick email ought to answer this - but they are the sellers.
Castboolits might have a thread on them, or similar.
Well I should have checked that first, a quick google search found others who have had no trouble and one guy emailed them and they said that up to 2100 fps is OK for those particular bullets.

Thanks for the help!

Those are handgun bullets though - probably not best for 2K fps. Just the same, useful for subsonic (or in that range) light loads for small game.

Also, one should make sure that they are actual 7.62 diameter and not .312"/7.92mm - it appears the PPU listing I found shows them as 0.3065" https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/29125

Last Edited:
Well I should have checked that first, a quick google search found others who have had no trouble and one guy emailed them and they said that up to 2100 fps is OK for those particular bullets.

Thanks for the help!
Let me know if you want to try them out before buying a bunch. I have, without actually counting, somewhere around 300 or more. Pretty sure those are heavy plated like they have for 9mm with the concave base.

Let me know if you want to try them out before buying a bunch. I have, without actually counting, somewhere around 300 or more. Pretty sure those are heavy plated like they have for 9mm with the concave base.

Thanks, I went ahead and just ordered a 1000, there's enough positive testimonials online I'm pretty confident they work.

Thanks though!

Sorry they were flat base should have just got off my _ _ _ and dug em out first.........

These are fairly old stock left over from my M1 and Automag days. They always did fine for me so you should be good to go when you get your order.

100_3186.JPG

Please post about your experience with them !

I am planning on ordering some for reduced .30-30 loads around 1600+ FPS.

I have used Speer Jacketed in the past and they are phenomenally accurate and I hope I see the same with the plated!
Yup - would like to hear about lower powered/velocity light weight projectile loads for .308, .or 30-30 and/or 7.62x39

Yup - would like to hear about lower powered/velocity light weight projectile loads for .308, .or 30-30 and/or 7.62x39
I use 10 grains of Unique with the 110s in .30-30.

I am currently looking at my 44th edition of Lyman data manual and it shows data using Unique from 9 to 10 grains with cast bullets from 118 to 193 grain.

It shows a load of 12 grans of Unique with a 118 grain cast bullet so that or maybe less (like 10 grains with the 110 bullet would probably be a nice load for .308.

I used to use Bullseye - 5 to 10 grains with dacron on top - for both handgun and rifle - worked well. I now have Trail Boss, but have not tried it yet. I am more interested in the projectiles than I am in the powder loads - I want to know what bullets work well and which do not.

I have those same bullets, shoot them in 30-30 and 308 for bunny-fart rounds (Unique or Universal). I've never chrono'ed them, but load data suggests ~1800 FPS.
Like @The Heretic , I loaded them with Dacron, then switched to Kapok, and in reality, don't need any stuffing in the case. They ignite well and surly ring steel at 150.

I have those same bullets, shoot them in 30-30 and 308 for bunny-fart rounds (Unique or Universal). I've never chrono'ed them, but load data suggests ~1800 FPS.
Like @The Heretic , I loaded them with Dacron, then switched to Kapok, and in reality, don't need any stuffing in the case. They ignite well and surly ring steel at 150.
Now that I replaced my damaged Chrony (shot it with a .45) I can start reloading again. I still have that dacron somewhere - just one cheap bag of pillow stuffing will last for thousands, if not tens of thousands of rounds.

I actually dropped to 10 grains of Unique.

Although I never had any signs of over pressure 12 grains seemed a little 'sharp' on the report. 10 grains just sounded 'better' and no change in accuracy.

I liken it to a 22 in report with even less recoil. Perfect for my brother's arthritis.
At lower load, (i.e. 10gr), we could see the bullet ricocheting off the target at 150 in the spotting scope. Faster velocities, no.

I used to use the Speer 100 grain 'Plinkers' for years then in a bunch of reloading stuff I was given several years ago was about 30 or so .30 Carbine rounds.

Well I finally I pulled them to try the bullets and was surprised at how accurate they were so I started buying the jacketed versions then it finally 'dawned' on me to check for bulk, plated ones so a box of 500 from Xtreme will be my next order!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top