JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently moved to a new area and I am just now looking into membership at the nearest outdoor/Indoor range which is about 50 miles away. I will attend an orientation and get a membership as soon as I can. In addition to recreational shooting I would like to try one or more of the competitions. At my age my days of running around are likely over, so I'm hoping to try some of the more 'static' competitions if possible. In addition, I suspect I'm going to need optics on my guns where permissible.

I'm looking through the various competitions and rules for these competitions, and it's a bit overwhelming. It's likely that some of guns I currently own will suffice for some disciplines/calibers, and I may very well need to purchase some additional ones. I fully understand that it's about the shooter's skill as much or more than it's about the hardware.

My hope with this thread is to get some input on what the most common firearms you use, or see your competitors use in these competitions. In addition, what guns can crossover – example: use the same gun(s) for steel challenge as for falling plates?

Steel Challenge:
PCC Rifle?

Centerfire Pistol?

Rimfire Rifle?

Rimfire Pistol?

Falling Plates: Each plate rack will have six plates on 14-inch centers. Plates vary from six inches in diameter to four inches. Each match the stop and start plate will vary in size and be placed in a different position. Any rimfire 22 pistol can be used during the pistol portion of the competition and any rimfire 22 rifle can be used during the rifle stage.

Rimfire Rifle?

Rimfire Pistol?

Bowling Pin: Round Robin style (bring 200 rounds, Lead or JHP ammo). The classifications are not clear to me based on the sparse website information but I see, ".22 caliber only" and "all centerfire calibers up to and including .40" so I guess that's it.

Rimfire Pistol?

Centerfire Pistol?

Any input would be much appreciated.

For steel challenge and falling plates I like to use rimfire - pistol or rifle depending upon my mood. If I were you I would use what you have rather than buying something new until you try a few matches.

Haven't shot bowling pins much but my understanding is that a heavy bullet with a flat nose would work best...so centerfire.

You can always watch a match and see what everyone else is using. I like 45acp shooting 225gr TC bullets for bowling pins, 9mm with 124gr RNs for falling plates and speed steel. For a one gun to do it all a good 40 S&W is hard to beat. Right now I'm working on a 158gr .358 hard cast bullet load sized to .356 to shoot in 38 super for playing the dueling tree game.
If I'm going to shoot rim-fire I bring my Browning Buckmark.

Recently moved to a new area and I am just now looking into membership at the nearest outdoor/Indoor range which is about 50 miles away. I will attend an orientation and get a membership as soon as I can. In addition to recreational shooting I would like to try one or more of the competitions. At my age my days of running around are likely over, so I'm hoping to try some of the more 'static' competitions if possible. In addition, I suspect I'm going to need optics on my guns where permissible.

I'm looking through the various competitions and rules for these competitions, and it's a bit overwhelming. It's likely that some of guns I currently own will suffice for some disciplines/calibers, and I may very well need to purchase some additional ones. I fully understand that it's about the shooter's skill as much or more than it's about the hardware.

My hope with this thread is to get some input on what the most common firearms you use, or see your competitors use in these competitions. In addition, what guns can crossover – example: use the same gun(s) for steel challenge as for falling plates?

Steel Challenge:
PCC Rifle?

Centerfire Pistol?

Rimfire Rifle?

Rimfire Pistol?

Falling Plates: Each plate rack will have six plates on 14-inch centers. Plates vary from six inches in diameter to four inches. Each match the stop and start plate will vary in size and be placed in a different position. Any rimfire 22 pistol can be used during the pistol portion of the competition and any rimfire 22 rifle can be used during the rifle stage.

Rimfire Rifle?

Rimfire Pistol?

Bowling Pin: Round Robin style (bring 200 rounds, Lead or JHP ammo). The classifications are not clear to me based on the sparse website information but I see, ".22 caliber only" and "all centerfire calibers up to and including .40" so I guess that's it.

Rimfire Pistol?

Centerfire Pistol?

Any input would be much appreciated.

I don't know where at in "Western Washington" you live, but you are more than welcome to join our club we have in Stevenson Wa. We try to shoot at least 1 bowling pin shoot per month there, when the weather is good. We are pretty laid back, but safe. We shoot 3 different divisions. 1 rimfire (generally 22lr) . 2. Mid bore (up to .40 cal). 3. Big bore (10mm and larger, 40 is allowable, but generally we shoot our 45's)....

Here's how I'm set up:
lNO7mGU.jpg

If you want to shoot and like the head to head competition, bowling pins are for you... It is a blast and very good pistol practice...

Thanks for the replies, very helpful.
Thanks for the invite bsa1917hunter, that area looks really nice, just a bit far at ~250 miles from here.

I agree with you guys that some of the guns I currently own would probably work ok.
Maybe the 10/22 and/or the s&w 15-22 for rimfire rifle. And a Ruger 22/45 pistol (can't remember the specific model variation, just remember it's a pain to tear-down for cleaning).

Semi-recently picked up a Ruger PC9 which I really like, or I could build an AR rifle on one of the lowers we have I suppose. And I own a Springfield 1911 loaded target 9mm. However, to date I've been unable to get it running reliably, and it's been back to the factory twice. It's currently in a time-out at the back of the safe while I cool off. ;)

The range says to bring ~200 rounds for a pin match. They have a .22 category, and another for all centerfire calibers up to and including .40.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top