JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I wasn't sure where to post this in the Forums. This might be a story to share with family and friends.

Detectives in Pierce County are searching for an attempted kidnapping suspect after a woman and her son were attacked on March 30.

According to police, a woman was leaving her home with her 11-year old son just before 6 a.m. on March 30. She was driving east on 420th St E and as she reached the intersection with Harts Lake Valley Rd E she noticed several sand bags and a box blocking the roadway.

When the woman exited her vehicle to move the box and one of the sandbags, police say, an unknown person came up behind her, placed a burlap bag over her head, and bearhugged her. The woman was able to break free after fighting back.

The suspect fled through a nearby field after the woman yelled for her son to call 911.

There's a whole lot of "never happens like that" factors in this one. Rural area. No witnesses. The 11 year old is the clinker - victims are usually alone when this happens. Sounds like what I term "Woman-in jeopardy-syndrome." Done to cover potential relationship breakup, job loss or other personal crisis. I saw this happen several times in my career.

At this point, my vote is fake. If there is any suspect description, it is probably similar to this:

1680379803413.png

There may be other evidence, like footprints, fingerprints, etc.

Or maybe there were sounds on the 911 call

And if not, if the stories the victims give fall apart... or the 11 year old kid falls apart (after being coached by mom)...

Hard to say.

There's a whole lot of "never happens like that" factors in this one. Rural area. No witnesses. The 11 year old is the clinker - victims are usually alone when this happens. Sounds like what I term "Woman-in jeopardy-syndrome." Done to cover potential relationship breakup, job loss or other personal crisis. I saw this happen several times in my career.

At this point, my vote is fake. If there is any suspect description, it is probably similar to this:

View attachment 1395331

Last Edited:
Trying to abduct a woman by setting up a roadblock in the boonies and pretending to be a cop or game warden, or a road crew guy would sound very credible to me.

But this smells bad to me too. First of all, any woman is going to be scared coming upon an isolated road block like that. I had long since decided that if I ever came upon such a roadblock I would stop as soon as I saw it and back up as fast as I could till I was where I could turn around, and then get out of there. In spite of always carrying a 6" .357mag when I was driving on rural roads. Ideal would be if I saw the roadblock from some good distance away so I could get outta there before anybody could get at the car. But if the roadblock was around a bend, one or more bad guys could be running at my car before I could react. Then I'd either try to run over the somebody or draw the gun and shoot them through the windshield/window, depending. No way would I get out of car to move a suspicious barrier. And even if barrier looked innocent, like a small tree I could move "accidently" fallen across road, I would be in a highly alert state. I have a hard time imagining that any woman would be so comfortable and unsuspicious in this situation as to let someone sneak up behind her and get a bag over her head.

Second. If someone put up such a barrier to abduct a woman and/or the associated kid, he's going to be armed. Even if he holds the woman's ability to defend herself in contempt, someone might come by, however remote the spot. If this really happened the guy would have had a gun or at least a serious knife, or a baton or kosh which he would have pulled if the woman started getting away.

Third. The description sounded too exact. More like she was describing someone she actually knew or made up than an assailant she saw only while struggling with him. Assailant had coarse straight hair cut longer at the top than around the sides. "Coarse" is a texture. Only if you had run your hands through someone's hair would you know whether it was coarse, not if its straight. Even the 5'7" was a bit weird. Much too exact if the only interaction was struggling and him running off. He would have to be standing still and so would she so she could compare his height to hers.

I think the woman might have made the whole thing up, and is going to use the imaginary incident as part of a custody battle, claiming husband put someone up to it.

If the picture from that article is from the actual scene you can see it's not really much of a "road block" but looks more like crap laying in the way. Definitely looks like a truck or suv could have just driven over it so it wouldn't be something that screams danger.

So I could see a woman, or anybody for that matter, getting out of their vehicle to just move it out of the way.

I don't really get why someone would try to abduct another person without a get away vehicle, especially if someone else was in the vehicle with the targeted individual. But people that are trying to abduct people are not typically of sound mind and judgment.

Is it possible this woman is making it up, sure, but for what reason? Attention? Honestly that report/story doesn't give a whole of detail to form a proper opinion.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews