JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If you have a 642 and any other common carry sized pistol, could you post a picture of them side by side. Things like a Sig 365 or Hellcat, G26 43 etc, even if you have a 642 and a SP101 that comparison would be very helpful!

Im seriously considering a 642 or LCR and haven't been able to get my hands on one to see how big either are compared to other carry pistols. I'm not exactly excited about ordering one just to feel it up. Pictures would greatly help!

Thanks!

Reno

20210801_122207.jpg

1972/73
Vs. Nowadays

If you do a search of youtube for "J frame VS ... "you will come up with lots of side by side reviews.
I will say this, I carry a 642 every day. And I am really happy with it. But it did not come from the factory with the smooth action it has now. The factory trigger felt like a series of bumps and stops before the trigger broke at well over the 12 lbs my scale would read too.
I bought a Wolf spring kit and when I went to install them I found that the trigger return slide had not been finished. After smoothing that and replacing only the return spring the action was smooth and a decent 10 lbs. I went on to smooth the rest of the action and also lowered the main spring weight. I have not had any issues with light strikes and the final DA trigger pull is right at 9 lbs.
The difference for me between the Ruger and S&W was that every company makes holsters and accessorys for the J frame, Not so much the Ruger. DR

Top to bottom, Model 10 K frame heavy barrel, 642 with factory Crimson Trace grips, Dan Wesson CBOB.

20210821_163844.jpg
The 642 weighs almost nothing.

My dad talked me out of my S&W 49, replaced it with a 442, still have my G26. The J-frames work better for pocket guns.
49 is the ugliest of ducklings. I like the shrouded hammer, for whatever nonsense reason. I had a 640 dao, that was broken in real nice. I don't miss the .357 sessions with that one.
J frames are very usable in any configuration .

I still have yet to find any small frame revolvers in the stores to actually try putting it in my front pocket to try. They are popping up online again. I'm liking the concept of something small that slips into a front pocket for the summer. I might have to @Stomper mode and get an itty bitty.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top