JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Choot it! Do nothing to it until you know it completely inside and out. I could have saved lots of unnecessary spending over the years if I would have only followed my own advice. LOL You have been warned.

It's stamped 1979-2004 on the slide.
Kimber of Oregon is not the company that produced this gun, so it's inappropriate they call it the 25th anniversary. The company was stolen from this state. My brother in law was one of their few gunsmiths, and built the first 3300 1911 handguns from castings, by himself, starting in 1996. I have number K001554. They started with K001000, so I have the 555th one he built.

my MUST DO FIRST with any gun i buy is shoot it. i know guys that put all this crap on their guns without shooting it first to see what could use improvement to compliment their shooting. my EDC is a bone stock glock 23 with night sights. i shoot it better than i shoot my buddys glock with pyramid trigger(which sucks IMO), trigger connector, TiN barrel, crazy stippling, stainless guide rod... etc.

IMO put 30 or so mags thru it before deciding what u wanna do. while a lot of parts look good on paper, i believe modifying a gun is on the owner and not what others say. Lots of suggestions never hurt, this is just my opinion,not tryin to pee in anyones cheerios. YMMV!! enjoy your new 1911! i cant wait till i get one!

I very highly recommend getting this book, "The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide" by Walt Kulceck
Amazon.com: The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide (9781888722178): Walt Kuleck: Books

You will learn the history of the M1911, and how the M1911/A1 came to be, how and why it is designed, and how to field and detail clean, and what kinds of mods are made in making them customized to specific uses, and how to do them properly. While there is plenty of good advice here on the forums, having first hand knowledge of how this gun works in detail will fully inform you so you can make the appropriate mods correctly that will suit your needs.
I recently bought my first 1911A1, and being really into the history of how a gun is designed and why, I looked for a book such as this because there are a ton of so called experts out there who will tell you what you 'should' do (some truly are experts, some are parroting others, and some are just in to what ever gun is popular this month but are short on knowledge); after you read this book, you can decide for yourself and gain a deeper appreciation for this venerable firearm.

For myself, I learned that sticking close to the original design and purposes was best for a reliable, solid pistol as there has been a lot of thought and experimentation over the 1911's 115 year history, and not a lot of need for many mods past maybe 4 or 6 basic ones for a solid performing pistol; purpose built custom guns for competition are another story. My Springfield Range Officer 1911A1 came with a lot of the popular mods already in place and very well fitted, and is an excellent gun that doesn't need much messing with. Shoot it, and enjoy it!

Last Edited:
Beautiful gun :)

The most useful mods I've done to my 1911 are the Wilson Combat extended mag release and the grips. I've bought a few different sets before I found the perfect balance of functionality and looks. I loved the feel of the finger groove Hogaue grip setup but absolutely hated how it made my 1911 look cheap. The solution I found was the Pearce insert with a nice set of redwood grips:

Amazon.com : Pearce Grips, Rubber Finger Groove Insert, Fits Colt Government Model 1911 and Equivalents : Sports & Outdoors

View attachment 306293 DSC_1768_zpsada7eall.jpg

Last Edited:
Beautiful gun :)

The most useful mods I've done to my 1911 are the Wilson Combat extended mag release and the grips. I've bought a few different sets before I found the perfect balance of functionality and looks. I loved the feel of the finger groove Hogaue grip setup but absolutely hated how it made my 1911 look cheap. The solution I found was the Pearce insert with a nice set of redwood grips:

Amazon.com : Pearce Grips, Rubber Finger Groove Insert, Fits Colt Government Model 1911 and Equivalents : Sports & Outdoors

View attachment 306293

That looks nice, I'll have to try that insert with a set of wood grips. Right now I have the pachmayr grips on it, not as fancy but feel great. 20160814_112843.jpg

my recommendation shoot it and shoot it a lot. before you make any changes make sure it functions well. You really don't know what you have unless you spend some time behind the trigger. while doing that kind of figure out how the gun fits into your plans. then make plans to do the mods
it may already be really accurate if so don't spend money fixing something that doesn't need fixing
all hand guns need a good holster and you will probably buy a few. I think Kimber makes a quality 1911. My dad has a large 1911 collection and he chooses the Kimbers over his Mccormicks or Wilson's. I know sacralige.he says he can hit better with the Kimbers

I shot my first 1911 for 2000 rounds before I did anything to it. Then I put on a GI guide rod because the solid one was a PITA, gi single safety so I could carry it, short trigger and thin grips for my tiny hands. Then I shot it another 30k rounds.

Then I changed the sights to a fiber optic front and black rear. I literally spent 6 years going back and forth over which sights to put on it because I hated the stock ones but I still shot it lights out.

Keep thinking I'm going to get it finished in NP3+ but I just can't yet. Maybe in another 10 years or so. The gun now is like an extension of my hand.

Now I have prettier guns, more expensive guns, tighter guns, different platforms of all types and calibers.

But man when I pick up that first 1911 it's like magic every time. I just love it.

Change what you gotta change if something feels foreign to you but above all else just shoot it. The more you shoot it the less you will want to change.

I put a beavertail and swapped the gold colt medallion grips for some custom silver medallion grips. None of these changes would be needed if I did not insist on buying a gold cup but I have wanted one since I first shot one at 10.

I have the Pierce grip insert with standard thickness VZ grips (with the mag release thumb cut) which can make the grip big for some but just right for my hands. I also just installed Pachmayr base pads on my 7 round colt mags, as well as the extra power mag springs (Wolff). I swapped out the oem recoil spring for a Wolff, but kept the same power. The book I cited above says 16lb. is the original design spring power, although I've seen 14.5lb cited as well, but the SA M1911A1 came with the 16lb so I just wanted an known, reliable spring of the same rated power. I like the target sights (not Novak but Bowman style) they just need to be de-horned a bit for ccw. I got the Blackhawk Serpa, and Blackhawk pancake leather w/ thumb break, leather mag pouches (it came with a kydex dual mag belt holster).
Now I just need to train with it more before I carry it ccw regularly, and it is the best pistol I've ever owned.
Knowing I'm carry the same type of sidearm as all my kin who have served (almost every male in all sides of my family, in every branch) somehow makes it more significant to me.

All I did when I bought my most recent 1911 was wrap in in one of those silicone reel cloths and jam it in a brand new Binachi holster for a week and then pull it out regularly and shoot it.

The only mods that I would do for a carry / range 1911 would be grips (VZ are my favorites), checkering of the front strap is personal must (20-25lpi) and I would have the MSH radius for a comfortable IWB carry. As for the internals I just fine with the stock Kimber parts.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top