JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have mixed feelings about the 10mm. I feel as though the only guns that can live up to the advantages of the 10mm over the .40S&W are the Glock 20 and steel framed EAA's(and the Ruger Blackhawk Buckeye, though quite rare.). I am sure fans of certain S&W models will disagree and that is fine. In the G20, it is the only autoloader I will carry that isn't a full size 1911. I find the Delta Elite to be a beautiful firearm and it has definitely seen great improvements since it's early days. I just wish it could handle the loads that validate the 10mm over the .40S&W.

While I have not used the Underwood 135gr. Nosler JHPs, I have handloaded them in both the .40 and 10mm and they are NASTY. I have used the Underwood 220gr. hardcast and a similar load from Buffalo Bore. I can also contend that as an everyday load, the Winchester Silvertip 175gr.(the 175 Silvertip in .41mag is the only factory round I use for that caliber.) is great stuff. I personally carry an assortment of Ruger Blackhawks(.357, .44spl. NM Flattop or .44mag SBH) for carry out here in the middle of nowhere. In the city I carry a 1911 in .45 and a Ruger LCP in .380. I would completely concede that a G20 can and will cover it all. Out here, carry the 220gr. hardcast(were I forced to shoot a bear with an autoloader this is the only load that would provide any confidence at all, of any caliber.) and in the city the 135gr. Noslers.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Magsafe 96gr. Defender(1,800fps from a Delta Elite) and 46gr. SWAT(2,400fps from Delta Elite) loads? In my nightstand sits a .44mag with 117gr. Defender loads(2,000fps from my SBH. It will truly go bump in the night.) and they definitely work as advertised. I picked some of the .44mag up from a forum member and was so impressed that I purchased more online. If the 10mm stuff is as advertised, it should be incredible.

IMO if you are going to use Magsafe in a revolver, load the 1st and 3rd rounds that way, and the rest should be proven hollowpoints. I carry autos only, and a Magsafe is in the chamber with all HPs in the mags (excepting small BUGs such as 380, which are loaded with ball ammo)

Now I have to be depressed that I have to make due with a 1006 Smith I found new in the box last year on Gun Broker. Not to mention every review by real experts that it will take every load you want to throw at it and keep ticking. Oh well.

Now I have to be depressed that I have to make due with a 1006 Smith I found new in the box last year on Gun Broker. Not to mention every review by real experts that it will take every load you want to throw at it and keep ticking. Oh well.
Well, you'll also be sad knowing your ridiculous passive aggressive BS is pathetic. Thank goodness you have found solace in your "experts". I actually went out of my way to be sure not to offend S&W owners. I guess your experts can tell you why the 1006 were so successful as to be rare and the G20 is a hands down success. But hey, it's not like police departments across America returned their 1006, 1026 & 1076 with repeated "problems". Actually, with just the slightest amount of research, it turns out they did. In all fairness, there are many private owners of S&W 10mm auto's that are very pleased and I don't doubt their sincerity. I made it clear that my view was an opinion.

IMO if you are going to use Magsafe in a revolver, load the 1st and 3rd rounds that way, and the rest should be proven hollowpoints. I carry autos only, and a Magsafe is in the chamber with all HPs in the mags (excepting small BUGs such as 380, which are loaded with ball ammo)
The Magsafe is in my nightstand gun. It is there for the sake of my son that lives in my home. When I carry a .44spl. or mag I handload 250gr. SWC's I cast from a Lyman 429244. In my 1911 are Winchester Ranger 230gr. +P JHP's and 200gr. SWC's(though I prefer to purchase those from Lazercast). The LCP gets a Remington Golden Saber 95gr. in the tube and 95gr. ball in the mag. I have only used the Magsafe stuff in the SBH and have no idea how they work in an auto. I also wouldn't trust the Magsafe to carry in the winter months down here where the low ground is 5,000 feet elevation. It's amazing what layered clothing does to certain ammunition. I believe it is a great idea simply as a home defense round with children or neighbors sharing walls.

I just picked up a RIA tactical 10mm 1911 recently. The cheapest instock ammo I've found is remington 180gr ball for 35.00 at cabelas. I found that freedom munitions is now making 10mm. They were in stock just yesterday but are now sold out. I've used a lot of freedom ammo and it's always worked fine in all my guns so I'm going to order some 10mm from them as soon as it's back in stock.:)
Here's the link for the freedom 10mm ammo: http://www.freedommunitions.com/category-s/1924.htm

Well, you'll also be sad knowing your ridiculous passive aggressive BS is pathetic. Thank goodness you have found solace in your "experts". I actually went out of my way to be sure not to offend S&W owners. I guess your experts can tell you why the 1006 were so successful as to be rare and the G20 is a hands down success. But hey, it's not like police departments across America returned their 1006, 1026 & 1076 with repeated "problems". Actually, with just the slightest amount of research, it turns out they did. In all fairness, there are many private owners of S&W 10mm auto's that are very pleased and I don't doubt their sincerity. I made it clear that my view was an opinion.
For your information that was sarcastic humor and if I would have known it was going to get your panties in a bunch I guess I maybe would have refrained. You might want to , no I am not going to say what I am really thinking about your delusions of being a brain surgeon out of respect for Joe,so have a nice day.

I just picked up a RIA tactical 10mm 1911 recently. The cheapest instock ammo I've found is remington 180gr ball for 35.00 at cabelas. I found that freedom munitions is now making 10mm. They were in stock just yesterday but are now sold out. I've used a lot of freedom ammo and it's always worked fine in all my guns so I'm going to order some 10mm from them as soon as it's back in stock.:)
Here's the link for the freedom 10mm ammo: http://www.freedommunitions.com/category-s/1924.htm

If I were not already a handloader the $$10MM$$ would convince me to become one

If you watch Midway and a few others Blitzkrieg you can pick up brass fairly easy. Starline runs 10mm fairly often in their production. Try it you'll love it.;)

I've loaded Starline for many years, good stuff. I've stocked up on everything I need for 10MM except need more Noslers, and brass. Have yet to connect with any 10MM lately although I'm watching. Underwood just got in the 135s again, and I just ordered 6 / 50 rd boxes

For your information that was sarcastic humor and if I would have known it was going to get your panties in a bunch I guess I maybe would have refrained. You might want to , no I am not going to say what I am really thinking about your delusions of being a brain surgeon out of respect for Joe,so have a nice day.
It's my panties that were bunched? Now, after you start a whining battle because of a post I made that very clearly identified what was an opinion, bunching your panties, now you have this new found "respect"? You are clueless and lost your battle, plain and simple. Mr. Brain Surgeon, please tell me what your experts have to say about the Virginia State Police and their blatant failures with your model that is beyond reproach? I'll tell you what you don't know and maybe we can be civil. Your dear 1006 has the OPPOSITE problem of the Delta Elite. The 1006 has functioning issues with ammo less than full power. So yes, it can take the big loads, but what of target practice? I don't enjoy having my wrist broken when simply target shooting and I find a pistol that functions across the board to be superior. Like it or not, I am an expert and you started this BS. Since you must be new to the internet, forums such as this are for the exact purpose of discussion and even disagreement. No delusions here. I have shot men with a 9x19 and a .45ACP. I have put many 10mm's through accuracy and power testing. My experience does not come from "experts" that have only shot ballistic gel. Most "experts" are simply gun writers and 9 out of 10 of them will tell you that they got their job because of who they know, not past experiences. You are not required to take heed, but maybe if you put down your pride you might learn something. After all, this thread was started by someone expressing an interest and asking others what they think of the 10mm. I offered my opinions and I'm sorry the truth doesn't jive with your purchase.

I apologize to those engaging in simply the conversation about this thread, which is regarding the 10mm. I tried in my initial post to be clear that my opinions are my own, which is exactly what the OP was looking for, opinions from other forum members.

For what it's worth, while centerfire ammo was still quite scarce in mid-2013 I purchased a few boxes of PMC 200gr. FMJ Truncated Cone rounds from Cabela's and was pleasantly surprised. The recoil was a bit stiff, but the penetration on that load was great. I basically bought it for the brass and got a bonus in that the ammo was very consistent, grouped well out of my EAA and hit it's target like the proverbial ton of bricks.

By the way, I purchased my EAA from Cabela's in Springfield in their used gun room and was happy that it came with 2 mags and looked very lightly used for $369. When I purchased it, the salesman then brought out a box with a Hornady die set, 120 pieces of once fired brass and 350 180gr. LTC bullets from Oregon Trail. The way I see it, with all those bonuses the pistol was probably a $200-225 purchase. It was one of the best firearms purchases I have ever made.

Since this thread is about 10mm just wanted to throw it out there I have enough clean once fired brass, Exteme RN copper plate bullets, LPP and powder to reload 500 rounds if anyone is interested. I am located in Lacey. Dave

Since I don't reload, yes, I know, I'm relugated to factory ammo. I've been looking for some winchester silvertips as it is still one of the the hotter 10mm factory loads. I bought some buffalo bore 220gr that's moving 1200fps which isn't bad for a heavier load but those are for hunting anyway.
Who makes a factory loaded hot load in a 165gr or 180 gr jhp? Something along the lines of the original +/- 1400fps norma load. My cabelas down here is hit and miss for corbon and they usually only carry the heavy dpx loadings.

Last Edited:
I sent 100 rounds of 180 grain Underwoods down rage using my EAA Witness Match. I shot pretty well, but I think one box is enough in the future.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top