JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Many mental illnesses do not manifest until the 20's-mid thirtys.
Navy Yard murderer Aaron Alexis created webpage with name "Mohammed Salem"

There has been no other published indication that Aaron Alexis was a Muslim or had any interest in Islam. It may be, however, that in his delusional madness, he began to identify with the jihadists who have committed mass murder in the name of their bloodthirsty god.
"Navy Yard gunman's mother says she is heartbroken and sorry for families," by Kyle Eppler, Pete Williams and Erin McClam for NBC News, September 18

To try to get back on track (there was a subject, wasn't there?)...

So, big pharmacy is a problem that'll get us way off in the weeds here (kinda needs its own forum). As Burt's video illistrated, as many others have (and I'm sure we all already know) ...there are so many people out there who are so ignorant about so many things its easy for many to be suckered into just about anyones agenda. But "mental health" is a whole different giant quagmire. The "professionals" within mental health (psychiatrists (MDs), psychologists, social wooers, administrators, etc.) work in a health care field where very little is understood (same field I work in). If you break your arm, go to the hospital, get an X-ray, get it fixed up and get to healing. "Break your brain" its a whole different story. Setting all the cool "breakthrough" stuff aside, daily, run-of-the-mill psychiatric treatment is all symptom based "throw it against the wall to see if it sticks"type of stuff. If a person doesn't show the symptoms or complain about the symptoms, there is no starting point. Even then, if a person does seek treatment, we're back to treating symptoms (because very little is known about "mental illness") and back to "throw it against the wall to see if it sticks."

So, we dance around this thing called mental illness with very little understanding of it or how big of a monster it really is. It seems to serve as a great place to lay blame and at this point in time only cost the state of Oregon about $700 million a year (IIRC) mostly in administrative costs.

That's one really screwed up side, another is the truly tortured souls caught up (or not caught up - just suffering by themselves) who desperately need help and can't get it (or do get the "help" the screwed up system provides and are no better off for it). Treatment for mental health today is better than some of the barbaric things done fifty or a hundred years ago, but sometimes not by much.

Like just about anything else, the government bureaucracy is probably the biggest hurdle to jump over.

Just because the voices aren't real doesn't mean they don't have a good idea once in a while.
I dated a psych nurse named Dawn for the better part of a year. She worked at Portland Adventist in the psych ward and had great stories about patients who saw invisible people and heard voices. The sad thing was that on occasion she would tell me that she saw dead people. We came back from church once and she told me matter of factly that she saw her dead relatives standing by the wall there, and my dead grandparents were there too. She always seemed so normal, but then she would just snap and turn into some other person, and yet, there she was 3-days a week giving meds to "crazy people".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top