JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm thinking of putting a peep sight on a savage 99, there are lots out there and different ways to install them. Back in the day when I was Haze Gray and underway I shot a lot with peep sights and thought they worked well. I'm thinking of installing a Skinner barrel mount peep but am open to other offerings so anyone have an opinion one way or the other?

I'm a big fan of receiver sights. I learned to shoot with them when I was little and then the military. IMHO, if the sight is not back on the receiver you lose the primary advantage of the "peep." That is the quick yet accurate and natural placement of the front sight into the center of the aperture! I see no particular advantage of a barrel mounted peep over a buckhorn or other traditional barrel mounted rear sight. +1 for the Williams or Lyman receiver sights. Good luck with your Savage! SRG

I went with the Williams for my CZ 455 FS .22lr and love it.
455FS1.jpg

All good thoughts, I'll add that one of the reasons I thought the barrel mount sight might work best for me is that I'm far-sighted so stuff too close to my eye I don't see clearly.

I love aperture type sights and have ever since my grandfather put them on a Marlin .22 rifle in the family. Much better in general IMO than any other kind of iron sight for both speed and accuracy.

Combined with a fiber optic front sight, you get the best of both worlds.

I like the kind that has the removable aperture that leaves you with a ghost ring on the rear. I have a ghost ring rear sight on a Glock and prefer it to any notch sight.

I Have receiver (peep) sights (Williams) on all my lever action rifles - except my new Henry. I was looking at the Skinner sight and like the streamlined design and how it fits but at the 'last minute' have decided to go with the Williams for it as I am already familiar with the design and there are certain aspects of the Williams I prefer over the Skinner design.

I am getting up there in years and have crappy vision. I have peep sights on my AR and hit pretty good with it - better than open sights.

+1 on the effects of age on vision. I'm like 44Guy. Compound that with bifocals and the equation gets even blurrier (pardon the pun). Fortunately, certain brands of sights allow you to swap in different size apertures to suit your individual needs.

To anyone unsure if you even want a peep on your rifle (or if your old eyes can handle it), maybe try this:

Quickly shoulder your stock weapon several times and draw a bead on a typical target. Then tape an appropriate size washer onto the rear sight blade, like a peep, and repeat the exercise several more times peering through the washer. Accuracy is completely unimportant for this drill. You're just determining if your sighting eye likes it better or not.

Invest and modify accordingly.

The small aperture on the peep sight will actually improve your ability to see the front sight it gives your eye move depth of field the same as a small aperture on a camera lens does.

I have 5 rifles with various types of peep sights and I enjoy them all. but the one that is the favorite is a Winchester model 94 RIFLE (26" barrel) with a Williams model FP 94/36TK on the receiver and a Montana Vintage Arms Combo front sight with the small pin (I would recommend the large pin for most shooters)

BuffaloBillpeepsiteview_zps68a117d1.jpg

BuffaloBillfrontsiteview_zpse2e493e7.jpg
This sight has two positions which allows the super accurate pin or when flipped down it brings up a std looking front post.

I also added a Level into the normal rear sight dovetail so I know I am holding the rifle level for long distance shots.

BuffaloBillbubbleview_zpsef15b1e3.jpg

Not exactly a brush gun set up but then I have a Carbine with a really nice Buckhorn rear sight for that.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR