Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Peep sights yes or no?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by oremike, Jul 3, 2015.

1. oremike

oremike Creswell, Oregon Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of putting a peep sight on a savage 99, there are lots out there and different ways to install them. Back in the day when I was Haze Gray and underway I shot a lot with peep sights and thought they worked well. I'm thinking of installing a Skinner barrel mount peep but am open to other offerings so anyone have an opinion one way or the other?

2. Lowpower

Lowpower Spokane Valley Member

mjbskwim likes this.
  3. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'm a big fan of receiver sights. I learned to shoot with them when I was little and then the military. IMHO, if the sight is not back on the receiver you lose the primary advantage of the "peep." That is the quick yet accurate and natural placement of the front sight into the center of the aperture! I see no particular advantage of a barrel mounted peep over a buckhorn or other traditional barrel mounted rear sight. +1 for the Williams or Lyman receiver sights. Good luck with your Savage! SRG

4. John Gault

John Gault clackamas county Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I put a Marble's Tang sight on my Goldenboy and I love it.

mjbskwim likes this.
  5. Whaler

Whaler Sequim, WA Well-Known Member

I went with the Williams for my CZ 455 FS .22lr and love it.
    455FS1.jpg

RRC Firearms, Flopsweat and Sgt Nambu like this.
  6. oremike

oremike Creswell, Oregon Well-Known Member

All good thoughts, I'll add that one of the reasons I thought the barrel mount sight might work best for me is that I'm far-sighted so stuff too close to my eye I don't see clearly.

7. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

You don't really see the rear sight, just the "hole."
    Put the front blade in the center, squeeze 'er off.

orygun likes this.
  8. 1sgdavo

1sgdavo Ritzville Washington New Member

Yes

9. 44 Guy

44 Guy Washington State Member

I am getting up there in years and have crappy vision. I have peep sights on my AR and hit pretty good with it - better than open sights.

10. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

I love aperture type sights and have ever since my grandfather put them on a Marlin .22 rifle in the family. Much better in general IMO than any other kind of iron sight for both speed and accuracy.

Combined with a fiber optic front sight, you get the best of both worlds.

I like the kind that has the removable aperture that leaves you with a ghost ring on the rear. I have a ghost ring rear sight on a Glock and prefer it to any notch sight.

Sgt Nambu and jbett98 like this.
  11. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

Agreed. I am getting older too and it is harder and harder to see stuff up close. You just let your eyes naturally line center things in the rear aperture.

12. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

I Have receiver (peep) sights (Williams) on all my lever action rifles - except my new Henry. I was looking at the Skinner sight and like the streamlined design and how it fits but at the 'last minute' have decided to go with the Williams for it as I am already familiar with the design and there are certain aspects of the Williams I prefer over the Skinner design.

13. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

What do you use for a front sight on your 455?

14. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

+1 on the effects of age on vision. I'm like 44Guy. Compound that with bifocals and the equation gets even blurrier (pardon the pun). Fortunately, certain brands of sights allow you to swap in different size apertures to suit your individual needs.

To anyone unsure if you even want a peep on your rifle (or if your old eyes can handle it), maybe try this:

Quickly shoulder your stock weapon several times and draw a bead on a typical target. Then tape an appropriate size washer onto the rear sight blade, like a peep, and repeat the exercise several more times peering through the washer. Accuracy is completely unimportant for this drill. You're just determining if your sighting eye likes it better or not.

Invest and modify accordingly.

15. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

If a peep rifle ain't awesome for you, go all buckshot.

16. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Ya know,I took my POS looking '94 out last week and it shot pretty darned accurate with open sites. I just can't see the front site very good,even with a drop of white on it.
    I just may do the peeps.I have had them o a few guns and love them
    Check this one out
    http://skinnersights.com/barrel_mount_6.html

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  17. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The small aperture on the peep sight will actually improve your ability to see the front sight it gives your eye move depth of field the same as a small aperture on a camera lens does.

I have 5 rifles with various types of peep sights and I enjoy them all. but the one that is the favorite is a Winchester model 94 RIFLE (26" barrel) with a Williams model FP 94/36TK on the receiver and a Montana Vintage Arms Combo front sight with the small pin (I would recommend the large pin for most shooters)

BuffaloBillpeepsiteview_zps68a117d1.jpg

BuffaloBillfrontsiteview_zpse2e493e7.jpg
    This sight has two positions which allows the super accurate pin or when flipped down it brings up a std looking front post.

I also added a Level into the normal rear sight dovetail so I know I am holding the rifle level for long distance shots.

BuffaloBillbubbleview_zpsef15b1e3.jpg

Not exactly a brush gun set up but then I have a Carbine with a really nice Buckhorn rear sight for that.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    Sgt Nambu and mjbskwim like this.
  18. Whaler

Whaler Sequim, WA Well-Known Member

The factory front sight works well with the Williams peep.

19. tac

tac UK, Oregon and Ontario. Well-Known Member

Here's the Wehrmann peep sight on my three-digit 1898 Car Gustaf m/96 rifle...

upload_2015-7-6_22-10-49.png

Here's the result at 100m...

upload_2015-7-6_22-11-50.png

And here's the whole thing...
    upload_2015-7-6_22-12-37.png

tac

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  20. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

Thanks.