JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you watch all of Tim's video, he puts it plainly that the 9mm, despite superior projectile performance did indeed have less felt recoil than .357mag in similarly sized guns. This was a specific niche - the snubs just don't provide enough barrel for the .357 to burn powder.

The whole conversation is limited to J frame size revolvers of 2"ish barrels.

This video was very informative. My wife is shopping for a revolver for a very specific reason, and she's specifically looking at 9mm revolvers because of the moon clips. Added bonus it runs the same caliber as her semiauto. But for her, when she starts carrying, she can carry loaded to and from work. She cannot have a loaded weapon on her while working, they must unload and secure the weapon while working, and may reload and rearm upon leaving. Thats a ton of loading/unloading. So instead of having to work the action on her Shield and rechamber the same rounds over and over - a 9mm revolver with easy to use moon clips that pop out, the rounds stay together, and then all pop into the chamber together without fumbling individual rounds or futzing with speed loaders is very appealing for her. She's pretty set on a Smith 940 with wooden birdshead type grips.

...Compare the numbers in the row for 2".

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: 9mm Luger Results

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .357 Mag Results

Any discussion about guns beyond 2" barrel length are outside the scope of the video and have no relevance to the findings in the video.

Looking at the real world part however, I have to go beyond 2" (the shortest 9 is 2.9"). Trying to keep this as much apples to apples as possible:

9mm: Federal 124 gr. Hydra-Shok JHP: Para LDA Carry 9 with 3" barrel: 1071 FPS
.357: Federal 125 gr JHP (*): Bond Texas Defender with 3" barrel (**): 1246 FPS

(*) the 130 gr hyrdra-shok light recoil runs 1221 FPS out of this gun
(**) derringer, not a revolver.

Anyway, the real world on a 3" barrel clearly favors .357 for power (and punishment to all involved) -- this of course does not answer the 2" real world question.

If you watch all of Tim's video, he puts it plainly that the 9mm, despite superior projectile performance did indeed have less felt recoil than .357mag in similarly sized guns. This was a specific niche - the snubs just don't provide enough barrel for the .357 to burn powder.

The whole conversation is limited to J frame size revolvers of 2"ish barrels.

This video was very informative. My wife is shopping for a revolver for a very specific reason, and she's specifically looking at 9mm revolvers because of the moon clips. Added bonus it runs the same caliber as her semiauto. But for her, when she starts carrying, she can carry loaded to and from work. She cannot have a loaded weapon on her while working, they must unload and secure the weapon while working, and may reload and rearm upon leaving. Thats a ton of loading/unloading. So instead of having to work the action on her Shield and rechamber the same rounds over and over - a 9mm revolver with easy to use moon clips that pop out, the rounds stay together, and then all pop into the chamber together without fumbling individual rounds or futzing with speed loaders is very appealing for her. She's pretty set on a Smith 940 with wooden birdshead type grips.
I've had great luck with Hogue grips on revolvers. They really soak up the recoil. I like the feel of them too, and sometimes they even improve the looks of the gun.

One more opinion, the SP101 is not a 2" barrel but a 2.25" barrel, so there's a full .5" difference in the barrel length between the two revolvers.

A more scientific approach would have been to more evenly match the barrel lengths. And shoot at least 5 rounds of each ammo type through their respective guns, to produce an average. We all understand there's volicity variations between rounds in the same box.

It's intriguing that 9mm may match or even surpass .357 in a 2" class Revolver...

Rickreall Mar 9-10.

8QKBmUz.png

Last Edited:
If I can convince Paul Harrell (Youtube Personality and a good friend of mine) to attend the Portland Expo Gun Show in December would any of you folks be interested to meet him?

This is his gun channel. Paul Harrell

77,000 subscribers and gaining.

He is an Oregon native and most of his videos are filmed here.

If Dan and Nancy Blackstone of Blackstone Gun Safety (also friends of mine) are willing to host him, what do you folks think?
I know this is an old post but I just found Paul's videos on YouTube and wanted to thank him for all the info (well rounded+accurate) provided in them. I see that his other ventures are no longer active but just wanted to say thanks and Bravo Zulu (Navy speak).
Bo Vinzant, Bellevue, Wa

I know this is an old post but I just found Paul's videos on YouTube and wanted to thank him for all the info (well rounded+accurate) provided in them. I see that his other ventures are no longer active but just wanted to say thanks and Bravo Zulu (Navy speak).
Bo Vinzant, Bellevue, Wa

Yah, we're fans of his videos. Haven't had chance to meet him, but would like to. He was at the Rickreall gun show last weekend for (AFAIK) his first meet and greet.

Hopefully he continues to do some more.

& Welcome to NWF!

Other than the long boring repetitive shooting and reloading, I thought it was interesting (as I do all of his videos). What would have also been an interesting observation was which 22lr ammo was the dirtiest or cleanest. That would actually be more interesting to me than how many duds out of a 1000 rounds. But then, maybe there is no "clean" 22lr ammo and that would be a real boring video. :)

Mike

I like Paul And watch his vids . I asked a couple of new shooters to watch him so they can learn some firearm basics and not get their heads filled with crazy stuff that can get them hurt.

If I can convince Paul Harrell (Youtube Personality and a good friend of mine) to attend the Portland Expo Gun Show in December would any of you folks be interested to meet him?

This is his gun channel. Paul Harrell

77,000 subscribers and gaining.

He is an Oregon native and most of his videos are filmed here.

If Dan and Nancy Blackstone of Blackstone Gun Safety (also friends of mine) are willing to host him, what do you folks think?
I'd be there! He was just down in Riddle but that's a long drive from where I live.

Longbeard

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads