JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
“With African-American teens, the perception is that they are all gangbangers, or they are all packing,” said Joe Brown, president of the Pasadena chapter of the N.A.A.C.P. “It does increase the instances of shoot-to-kill with law enforcement, and Pasadena is no exception.”

This is how black youth are portrayed in most social media such as movies and thus has has become a social misconception, but even in this news story, it further adds to the belief;

"Another officer arrested the 17-year-old, who admitted they had stolen the backpack, Lieutenant Riddle said. The teenager, whose name has not been released by the police, has since been charged with burglary, grand theft and failure to register as a gang member, a condition of his parole, the police said."

These officers were responding to a violent attack in which they were told these young men were armed in the first part of the story "the caller said two young black men had put a gun in his face and had stolen his backpack."

IMHO, this is a tragic event, the LEO were reacting to what they believed to be truth (the young men being Armed) and the fact that the other was a known gang member (if that was known before the arrest).

I think the caller should be found guilty on the charges and the LEO's should be exonerated. They reacted how a reasonable person would have with the known information.
It is ridiculous that the Martin shooting had to be brought up in this story...there is no correlation other than it happened to a black youth! Gotta keep the proverbial fuel on the fire!

I wish them luck in their prosecution of the 911 caller. If police responded to strong arm robberies there wouldn't have been the necessity for the victim to lie about the perps having a weapon.

It is unfortunate and disappointing that two police officers can say straight faced that they were unable to secure an unarmed 19 year old, without putting big holes in his chest, and that people will just accept this explanation.

"With African-American teens, the perception is that they are all gangbangers, or they are all packing," said Joe Brown, president of the Pasadena chapter of the N.A.A.C.P. "It does increase the instances of shoot-to-kill with law enforcement, and Pasadena is no exception."

This is how black youth are portrayed in most social media such as movies and thus has has become a social misconception, but even in this news story, it further adds to the belief;

"Another officer arrested the 17-year-old, who admitted they had stolen the backpack, Lieutenant Riddle said. The teenager, whose name has not been released by the police, has since been charged with burglary, grand theft and failure to register as a gang member, a condition of his parole, the police said."

These officers were responding to a violent attack in which they were told these young men were armed in the first part of the story "the caller said two young black men had put a gun in his face and had stolen his backpack."

IMHO, this is a tragic event, the LEO were reacting to what they believed to be truth (the young men being Armed) and the fact that the other was a known gang member (if that was known before the arrest).

I think the caller should be found guilty on the charges and the LEO's should be exonerated. They reacted how a reasonable person would have with the known information.
It is ridiculous that the Martin shooting had to be brought up in this story...there is no correlation other than it happened to a black youth! Gotta keep the proverbial fuel on the fire!

You know what?
Dress different than what a gang banger does and you wont be picked out as one
Kinda simple.Show me you are a good guy and not a wanna bee

Obviously we need to start licensing phones, this wouldn't happen if we made phones harder to buy. Maybe only the police should have phones or we need a waiting period on phones.

At most the caller should be charged with making a false report. It is the LEO's job to arrive on scene and observe the situation, not just react based on a civilians claims made in a 911 phone call. The fact that they are charging this guy with manslaughter is disgusting!

Let me get this straight. They were gang members with criminal records that admitted to stealling the back pack yet the NAACP wants to some how blame the police
for shooting one of them. I understand the cops could/should have done a better job of observing the situation but I woud guess if you get hit in the head enough you eventually get a bit head shy.
I think the NAACP should look at the culture that inner city blacks have created for themselves and quit blaming everybody else. Between gangs and the welfare state it is no
wonder they have little hope but it sure as hell is not my or anyone else's fault.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top