JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Im still learning about monolithics, but havent read as much on them from pro hunting blogs, yet. Would you recommend this for elk in this caliber?

At, or under 300 yards, I would use them on elk within the same envelope as a non-magnum 6.5. Broadside, no extreme angles, avoid heavy bones beyond 150 yards or so. On antelope or deer, light em up how you see fit.

The thing to remember with monolithics is: (1) speed is your friend when it comes to expansion; (2) they don't shed weight like cup and cores, allowing for lighter weight; (3) they are long for their weight; (4) they are best at ranges under 400 yards because they have a harder time expanding when they get slow.

Don't worry about BC. Monolithics have crappy BCs since they are light with lots of bearing surface. For hunting out to 400 yards, who cares? You go lighter since the end result is more bullet than you'd have with a much heavier cup and core bullet. This also makes for a flat shooter. Zero once, hold on hair.

At, or under 300 yards, I would use them on elk within the same envelope as a non-magnum 6.5. Broadside, no extreme angles, avoid heavy bones beyond 150 yards or so. On antelope or deer, light em up how you see fit.
this is in line with all Ive read on this cartridge. For elk with this Im staying at or under 300yds max with the limitations youve listed.

The thing to remember with monolithics is: (1) speed is your friend when it comes to expansion; (2) they don't shed weight like cup and cores, allowing for lighter weight; (3) they are long for their weight; (4) they are best at ranges under 400 yards because they have a harder time expanding when they get slow.
Thing is Im total newb to reloading, Im not even set up yet so I dont understand what velocities I can drive a particular bullet at. Ive read enough on the partitions to know I can push 3000fps safely with 120g. Im guessing I can push a lighter bullet a bit more at the muzzle but what I dont know is what the velocity will be at 300 or 400yds for proper expansion.
Lastly, im just skeptical going lighter than 115g on elk with this caliber just from my own experience with lead core, I just havent read enough yet on lighter monolithics yet performing simiarily as their heavier lead counterparts.

3300fps from a 25-06 and the 100gr TTSX should be pretty obtainable from a 24 inch barrel. As long as velocity is north of 2200fps on impact, you should be good. With the 100gr TTSX, that gets you to 400 yards and you're still north of that.
Im going to bookmark the Barns link to those. Ive also bookmarked their 115g TSX... These look like some good monolithic options to explore even if I stick with the partitions specific for elk. Given the way environmental politics goes I figure as I get into reloading I should be working on a "green" option anyways. If I can produce a load with a good terminal performance on deer/pronghorn with this rifle out to 500yds I would be overwhelmed with pride over my struggles with factory ammo. (Im collecting points for both pronghorn and a hard to get deer hunt in SE Oregon...)

roughly how many projectiles does one need to develope a recipe for a bullet?
It will depend on your requirements for accuracy and your method.

For my general work ups, I'd expect at least 50 Bullets to get a load worked up and verified.

It will depend on your requirements for accuracy and your method.

For my general work ups, I'd expect at least 50 Bullets to get a load worked up and verified.
So over the last week I picked up 90 of these new from a private seller. Im going to factor that into the amount I will by from this new link but a question I have is there any performance differences between production lots/runs of projectiles (similar to different factory fully loaded brands etc.)?

So over the last week I picked up 90 of these new from a private seller. Im going to factor that into the amount I will by from this new link but a question I have is there any performance differences between production lots/runs of projectiles (similar to different factory fully loaded brands etc.)?
Yes there certainly can be. That's why precision reloaders will use the same lot of bullets, same lot of primers, powder, brass, etc.

If it were me, I'd still get 4 bags of those bullets. Ultimately up to you.

Whether or not you'll realize the accuracy potential of sticking with all one lot I cannot say. The gun, components and nut pulling the lever all have to work together as a system in order to produce a superior product at the end.

I'd have to go back and check, but iirc you are, or were going to be new to reloading.

More bullets is better than less, especially when one is starting out on one end of the learning curve.

Yes there certainly can be. That's why precision reloaders will use the same lot of bullets, same lot of primers, powder, brass, etc.
extremely helpful to learn. Typically when I buy factory ammo I get lucky the store bought a supply of the same lot # (stamped on the box) but I don't know if they do that with blems... and from the new (unblems) I now have on hand dont see a lot number on the two boxes.

I think what I will do is take a chance, head over there now and grab 4 bags as you suggest and when I finally get to develope a load recipe I will sample the two purchases separately.

I also did contact Nosler and they said in about 3 weeks they will do a run on these but hard to say how many, if I would find them in time.

You are correct Im brand new at this, still purchasing supplies but also ordered this week a RCBS turret delux press full kit. Im getting closer.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top