JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, as some may know I am prone to experiment a bit to tailor Loads for certain platforms and situations. I do some hunting in firearm restriction areas that require the use of a shotgun, .40 or larger revolver or auto pistols during modern firearm seasons. This got me to build a 10.5" 458 socom ar pistol and so far it has performed great. I have been using 500gr subsonic expanding Maker bullets at 1000fps to harvest 2 deer with drt results.
I recently gained access to a bit larger property and there is some potential for some longer shots out to 100yds or so. This property is still a firearm restriction area so I will use my 458 socom pistol using supersonic ammo. I have developed a 300gr ttsx load that clocks about 1530 fps. I could stop there, except I only have a partial box and those bullets seem to be made out of unobtainium lately.
What I do have is a pile of 400 gr Maker subsonic expanding .458 pills that I haven't used due to settling on the 500gr version for sub hunting. I decided that driven faster they may just act like a controlled fracturing bullet with the 3 petals shearing off creating secondary wound channels and the base penetrating deeper and most likely exiting on deer sized game.
So I put this to the test on a water jug 10" deep and a 5gallon bucket full of damp sand. At 1375 fps the 400gr maker bullet obliterated the 10" water jug and entered the sand bucket fully expanded and petals intact. In the sand the 3 petals sheared off along the path and the base came to rest against the backside wall of the bucket for a total of 23" of penetration. I say this would be an unsurvivable wound in the chest cavity of a cloven hooved cervid.
Bullet on left is another that I shot into just damp sand as an example of what they look like with petals intact. The one on the right had water/sand treatment. What say you, will these work for my intended purpose? These may even work for extended ranges out of a 16" rifle as I know the reliably expand below 1000fps.

image.jpg

Last Edited:
At that speed you have both expansion and penetration. I think you will be fine. Where you will run into problems is when you push them faster and when they either come apart or become unstable in flight. Good luck DR

I have now driven this bullet to 1740 fps via my 45-70. They perform just as I had hoped at higher speeds as well. I had to put a few in the lathe and trim them back about .200" to make the meplat safe in a tubular mag and also to make the coal cycle in my guide gun, without protruding into powder space too much. The weight of these modded 400gr maker bullets ends up about 380gr.
What I have noticed with these bullets at subsonic speeds, penetration is limited by the huge expansion of the petals which mostly stay intact at sub speeds. Penetration is decent enough to get the job done, but perfect shot placement is needed and raking shots are not advised. Driven fast enough to shear the petals off, penetration of the base is impressive. Might have to try these on a coyote or a pig in Texas if I go visit my buddy that lives there. Deer season in WA is just too far away!

I whittled out a few more of these for the 45-70 in hopes of doing some accuracy/stability testing later in the week. I added .5 gr more powder and these should clock right around 1800fps out of my guide gun. If the proof of concept is borne out in the end, I am hoping I can get Maker to produce a factory version so I don't have to mod every bullet on the lathe. Probably wishful thinking though. Last pic was the recovered bullet from the last test through the 45-70 at 1740fps. The shank portion weighs 260gr.

03E20DE4-52B5-49F9-B247-709917229A9A.jpeg 4BB81BF2-1AC9-4E70-A9AD-5729F8A41024.jpeg 372862B2-6879-46F8-9FB9-8EBE3CFA712D.jpeg

I have landed on a final load for the 45-70 using these modded maker subsonic expanding bullets. I am using a good dose of H4198 and getting 1833fps with a 5.6sd. I shot a 3 shot 100yd group of 1.5" and the rounds all made perfect round holes so stability/accuracy is not a problem. This dog will hunt! Now the tedious wait for an opportunity to try them out on game. I will have to spend an evening on the lathe and make 20 or so of these nasties for final loads. I also will try the unmodded bullet loads I developed in my 16" 458 socom to check for accuracy and speed.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top