JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Did anyone else notice the revolvers many of them use. Manurhin MR 73: French made .38/.357, 6 rounds. Gets nice reviews, too. Being kind of a revolver fan, I find it nice to see that some police agencies still value a fine old tool in an exemplary caliber. This choice, too, I believe, has something to do with the civilian ban on military ammo. But, how does one account for their use of the .556?

It's VERY like the TAVOR in many ways, so if you've shot one of those fine pieces, you'll have not trouble translating to the FAMAS.

tac

I have owned a Steyr AUG and loved that gun. Now I have a US version called the MSAR. Almost identical to the AUG. I really would like to shoot a TAVOR someday for comparison reasons. Have you had any time behind an AUG? If so, what is that like compared to a FAMAS?

I have owned a Steyr AUG and loved that gun. Now I have a US version called the MSAR. Almost identical to the AUG. I really would like to shoot a TAVOR someday for comparison reasons. Have you had any time behind an AUG? If so, what is that like compared to a FAMAS?

I've shot the real AUG in both 5.56 and 9mm, and enjoyed it - both had the issue optical sights. Here in yUK we CAN have them, in straight-pull format only, but with higher magnification after-market sights. Also, the owner can retrofit the trigger fix - something that is necessary to obtain any kind of repeatable accuracy of the kind that we are used to with this type of arm.

tac

French Police Mini-14
Current events are not typically something that Forgotten Weapons is going to comment on, but the recent unpleasantness in France has brought to light a firearm that folks may find interesting – the Mousqueton AMD.

View attachment 263611
French police officer with a Mousqueton AMD (Mini-14)

When French national police and security forces decided to replace the MAT-49 submachine gun as a standard weapon, they decided to look for a light carbine. Something less obviously military than the FAMAS was desired, and the natural choice was the Ruger Mini-14, whose slightly civilian appearance is often considered to be one of its primary strengths. Ruger licensed the design to the French, who have assembled them in-country with a few changes from the normal production model we are used to seeing here in the US.

View attachment 263612
Modified charging handle for Mousqueton AMD (thanks to Arnaud D. for the photo)

The guns come with rubber buttpads and sling cutouts in the stock, as well as a slightly modified style of charging handle. They remain chambered for the 5.56mm NATO cartridge (which as a military caliber is requires a license for civilian use in France). The fire control system has a selector to allow semiauto, 3-round burst, and full-auto fire, and the receiver heel is marked specifically for the French:

View attachment 263613
French Mousqueton AMD receiver markings (thanks to Arnaud D. for the photo)

"Mousqueton" is of course the French term for carbine, and the "A.M.D." stands for Armements et Moyens de Défense which translates roughly to "defensive arms". The "A.P." is a property marking for the Administration Pénitentiaire, or Prison Service.

All in all, a good choice of weapon for the purpose. I don't have any information on how they have performed in practice for French security forces, but I expect they have done the job just fine.

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/french-police-mini-14/

Thanks for posting this. I haven't owned a Mini-14 in years, although I do have fond memories of the one which I used for target shooting and varmint blasting.

The stocks on the Mousquetons are very interesting. Certainly, they have a military look to them. A lot of police forces have used the Ruger to good effect, and these French officers probably have good confidence and practice in their issued service carbine.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top