Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Paris, a look from a different angle.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by rdb241, Nov 14, 2015.

1. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I see that there was a thread back in January about Paris police weapons. This kinda goes with that thread except with a question that was not asked.
    As tragic as one of the events are, I always get all analitical and pay attention to what kind of weapons the military and police carry. A while back there was an attack in Tunisia. Right away I noticed that the Tunisian military were carrying Steyr AUG's.
    In the first pic I found shows a Paris Police Officer holding what looks like a Ruger Mini14 but I am sure it is a Ruger AC556 select version. In the rest of the pictures, the officers are all carrying Beretta M12's. Why are they using WWII technology? I thought the MP5 was the standard? The Beretta was used for combat up through Viet Namn. Can't the French afford MP5's?

BBmZOkm.img_zps6gdda0qc.jpg

BBmZ7gP.img_zps27gistwy.jpg

BBmZYF3.img_zpsn4cqqeld.jpg

BBmYMR2.img_zpsgbbac591.jpg

beretta_pm12s-1_zpsvj9kleqr.jpg

ron likes this.
  2. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

It's france, they outlawed guns and now the LEOs are stuck with decades old left overs.
    Probably think if something happens they will just raise the white flag and scream for help

4Freedom, Slobray, ron and 2 others like this.
  3. David Bowman

David Bowman Beaverton OR Archer Defense Concepts

Ummm, the answer is pretty obvious. They're French.

french-surrender.jpg

The French Fighting Position.

4. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Trust me, archaic weapons, but bright, shiny, new, white flags!:cool:

4Freedom, Slobray and Sstrand like this.
  5. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

AK 47 - 1949
    Beretta M12 - 1959

They are a decade ahead still

I suspect in countries who are opposed to guns will have politicians opposed to spending money on upgraded weapons for the police. Especially when other countries *cough* do the world policing for them.

Slobray, mjbskwim, boogerhook and 2 others like this.
  6. aljames

aljames Rogue Valley Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

+1!! Add the cutting edge Mini [1974] to the mix and they may as well have ray guns;)

Seriously though, the French LE version of the Mini is an interesting piece. Red Ruger rubber buttpad, folding charging handle, different rear sight, pass through sling slot[m1 carbine style] etc. I'm not sure they have any AC556's though as every picture that I have seen is missing a selector in the normal location.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  7. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

The Mini is made in France under license they have beautiful French walnut stocks, some are hand checkered for a Kinder, more Genteel appearance, but they will kill you even better than an MP-5

Brutus57 likes this.
  8. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

There is a DEA agent (I think that was the branch) that had a tommy gun smithed and used it as his primary room clearing weapon.

The boolits all put holes in you if you know how to aim the thing.

Brutus57 and 4Freedom like this.
  9. aljames

aljames Rogue Valley Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

10. ConcreteJungle

ConcreteJungle Eugene Well-Known Member

Yeah, but i'd much rather have that AK still... ;)

11. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

It's not a rocket. Oh snap, who still has a space program?

12. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I saw a soldier with a FAMAS...

13. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

I've seen police with lots of Famas, not a thing wrong with them! Seen lots of mp5's with their military..

Their police seem to like then Ruger mini 14 ( slightly refined than what we are used to) and the is the Beretta m12 which I think is more reliable than the mp5!

Seems to be a large number of these shotguns!

image.jpg
    image.jpg

14. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I obviously dont have any expertise on fighting terrorists, but it does not seem like the police there had enough training:

the above video link does not seem to be working. copy and paste
    Code:
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=256_1447523826

15. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Oh shyles,'ow do i get it off ma neck?

qSvv5Ub.jpg

16. mjbskwim

Guy on the left
    'Don' worry my beebee a will not drop you 'ard,A will set you down as I back away'
    0578-2903380-French_police_wearing_body_armour_and_carrying_rifles_stand_guar-a-48_1420812813818.jpg

17. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

French Police Mini-14
    Current events are not typically something that Forgotten Weapons is going to comment on, but the recent unpleasantness in France has brought to light a firearm that folks may find interesting – the Mousqueton AMD.

mini-1.jpg
    French police officer with a Mousqueton AMD (Mini-14)

When French national police and security forces decided to replace the MAT-49 submachine gun as a standard weapon, they decided to look for a light carbine. Something less obviously military than the FAMAS was desired, and the natural choice was the Ruger Mini-14, whose slightly civilian appearance is often considered to be one of its primary strengths. Ruger licensed the design to the French, who have assembled them in-country with a few changes from the normal production model we are used to seeing here in the US.

mini-3.jpg
    Modified charging handle for Mousqueton AMD (thanks to Arnaud D. for the photo)

The guns come with rubber buttpads and sling cutouts in the stock, as well as a slightly modified style of charging handle. They remain chambered for the 5.56mm NATO cartridge (which as a military caliber is requires a license for civilian use in France). The fire control system has a selector to allow semiauto, 3-round burst, and full-auto fire, and the receiver heel is marked specifically for the French:

mini-2-450x339.jpg
    French Mousqueton AMD receiver markings (thanks to Arnaud D. for the photo)

“Mousqueton” is of course the French term for carbine, and the “A.M.D.” stands for Armements et Moyens de Défense which translates roughly to “defensive arms”. The “A.P.” is a property marking for the Administration Pénitentiaire, or Prison Service.

All in all, a good choice of weapon for the purpose. I don’t have any information on how they have performed in practice for French security forces, but I expect they have done the job just fine.

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/french-police-mini-14/

muskoka, tac, ogre and 3 others like this.
  18. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Surprised they weren't chambered for 7.62x39.:D

19. Boats

Boats Flicking A Switch To Open My Third Eye Well-Known Member

Is there anything indicating these firearms won't kill jihadi scum dead?

It's not as if they are running about with smooth bore flintlocks or something.

muskoka, Brutus57, tac and 2 others like this.
  20. mjbskwim

Well I don't doubt the rifle is capable if half the guys weren't carrying it like they were going to a parade

4Freedom and decklin like this.