JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I see that there was a thread back in January about Paris police weapons. This kinda goes with that thread except with a question that was not asked.
As tragic as one of the events are, I always get all analitical and pay attention to what kind of weapons the military and police carry. A while back there was an attack in Tunisia. Right away I noticed that the Tunisian military were carrying Steyr AUG's.
In the first pic I found shows a Paris Police Officer holding what looks like a Ruger Mini14 but I am sure it is a Ruger AC556 select version. In the rest of the pictures, the officers are all carrying Beretta M12's. Why are they using WWII technology? I thought the MP5 was the standard? The Beretta was used for combat up through Viet Namn. Can't the French afford MP5's?

BBmZOkm.img_zps6gdda0qc.jpg BBmZ7gP.img_zps27gistwy.jpg BBmZYF3.img_zpsn4cqqeld.jpg BBmYMR2.img_zpsgbbac591.jpg beretta_pm12s-1_zpsvj9kleqr.jpg

AK 47 - 1949
Beretta M12 - 1959

They are a decade ahead still

I suspect in countries who are opposed to guns will have politicians opposed to spending money on upgraded weapons for the police. Especially when other countries *cough* do the world policing for them.

+1!! Add the cutting edge Mini [1974] to the mix and they may as well have ray guns;)

Seriously though, the French LE version of the Mini is an interesting piece. Red Ruger rubber buttpad, folding charging handle, different rear sight, pass through sling slot[m1 carbine style] etc. I'm not sure they have any AC556's though as every picture that I have seen is missing a selector in the normal location.

Last Edited:
The Mini is made in France under license they have beautiful French walnut stocks, some are hand checkered for a Kinder, more Genteel appearance, but they will kill you even better than an MP-5

There is a DEA agent (I think that was the branch) that had a tommy gun smithed and used it as his primary room clearing weapon.

The boolits all put holes in you if you know how to aim the thing.

AK 47 - 1949
Beretta M12 - 1959

They are a decade ahead still

I suspect in countries who are opposed to guns will have politicians opposed to spending money on upgraded weapons for the police. Especially when other countries *cough* do the world policing for them.

Yeah, but i'd much rather have that AK still... ;)

I've seen police with lots of Famas, not a thing wrong with them! Seen lots of mp5's with their military..

Their police seem to like then Ruger mini 14 ( slightly refined than what we are used to) and the is the Beretta m12 which I think is more reliable than the mp5!

Seems to be a large number of these shotguns!

image.jpg
image.jpg

I obviously dont have any expertise on fighting terrorists, but it does not seem like the police there had enough training:

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

the above video link does not seem to be working. copy and paste
Code:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=256_1447523826

French Police Mini-14
Current events are not typically something that Forgotten Weapons is going to comment on, but the recent unpleasantness in France has brought to light a firearm that folks may find interesting – the Mousqueton AMD.

mini-1.jpg
French police officer with a Mousqueton AMD (Mini-14)

When French national police and security forces decided to replace the MAT-49 submachine gun as a standard weapon, they decided to look for a light carbine. Something less obviously military than the FAMAS was desired, and the natural choice was the Ruger Mini-14, whose slightly civilian appearance is often considered to be one of its primary strengths. Ruger licensed the design to the French, who have assembled them in-country with a few changes from the normal production model we are used to seeing here in the US.

mini-3.jpg
Modified charging handle for Mousqueton AMD (thanks to Arnaud D. for the photo)

The guns come with rubber buttpads and sling cutouts in the stock, as well as a slightly modified style of charging handle. They remain chambered for the 5.56mm NATO cartridge (which as a military caliber is requires a license for civilian use in France). The fire control system has a selector to allow semiauto, 3-round burst, and full-auto fire, and the receiver heel is marked specifically for the French:

mini-2-450x339.jpg
French Mousqueton AMD receiver markings (thanks to Arnaud D. for the photo)

"Mousqueton" is of course the French term for carbine, and the "A.M.D." stands for Armements et Moyens de Défense which translates roughly to "defensive arms". The "A.P." is a property marking for the Administration Pénitentiaire, or Prison Service.

All in all, a good choice of weapon for the purpose. I don't have any information on how they have performed in practice for French security forces, but I expect they have done the job just fine.

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/french-police-mini-14/

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top