JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The only mail most people get today is email and junk mail.

I no longer have anything sent to me via snail mail.

My point was that the gov. is pretty much surveilling almost all of your comms - and yes, even your snail mail; they do know who sent mail to you and who you send mail to; it is all scanned by computers when it goes through the USPS so they can automate where it goes. So at the very least they know who you communicate with even if they don't usually open your mail.

If it isn't personal mail (e.g., a letter to a friend) the gov. typically knows the information in your business mail anyway - they know all of your bank records, who you wrote a check to, where you spent any funds unless you spent cash only.

You may think some of this isn't important, but the gov. does; they want to know your social network - who your friends and family are, where you work, as much as they can know. They have software that figures this out from all that data - I used to work on some of it.

Typically the gov. isn't deeply interested in the intimate details of our lives, but they do collect that info just in case they need to have it.

Based on many posts here from those who feel there's no cause for a higher state of readyness, SNAFU, and others that claim that some are flat out "paranoid" for attempting to prepair for future issues that may or may not be caused from Syrian refugees,,, let me play the Devils advocate.

Do you have any issues with accepting these same refugees into your communities?
As many as 27 Govoners have stated they won't take them into their states....so far.
Given that most of us online here are from Oregon and Washington, and that we're talking about starting out with no less than 10k refugees and probably three times that (you know how the Govt. Works) that leaves 23 states into which we will place possibly 30k or more refugees, any issues with that?

<SNIP>
Do you have any issues with accepting these same refugees into your communities?
As many as 27 Govoners have stated they won't take them into their states....so far.
Given that most of us online here are from Oregon and Washington, and that we're talking about starting out with no less than 10k refugees and probably three times that (you know how the Govt. Works) that leaves 23 states into which we will place possibly 30k or more refugees, any issues with that?
The governors, mayors, etc., have no choice - once the federal gov. accepts a refugee into the USA, they go where the feds put them. Neither the refugee nor the local gov. of the destination has any choice about it.

So it doesn't leave 23 states, it leaves 50 states and probably a few territories.

Ask what might happen in my environment.
What are the downstream consequences?
Plan to minimize consequences

Big kerfluffle at Cabelas (advertised 22 boolits, shipment late) Elvis Concert cancelled, etc.
I-5 jammed up forever starting at nyberg rd, down to Medford and up to Vancouver BC
Riots, etc.
Cheap, plentiful food, some water, a campstove, go home stay there till the coast is clear.

Rice n Beans (Sacks of em in a plastic Home Depot bucket w lid), some spices, chile con carne in a can Some candles, lotsa wine

Hunker down, Wait till the 7th Cav arrives

We think a like. I have 3 home depot buckets full of mylar bags containing mainly oxygen absorbers, rice, and beans. They also have life straws, canned food, and etc. I labeled the contents on the outside.

Candles are life savers! Funny too because some training I did for Portland NET (Neighborhood Emergency Team) recommended to not put candles in an emergency kit. I believe candles are among the necessities in an emergency kit! There's about 200 cheap and small candles stashed away for me (I got a deal on them). Cheap ease of mind. I think it cost me less than $100 for several weeks of food, water and provisions for my daughter and me.

I also believe it's a good idea to place emergency equipment near exits of homes in case the home collapses. It might be easier to get to the supplies in case the worst happens.

The governors, mayors, etc., have no choice - once the federal gov. accepts a refugee into the USA, they go where the feds put them. Neither the refugee nor the local gov. of the destination has any choice about it.

So it doesn't leave 23 states, it leaves 50 states and probably a few territories.

That's not exactly the question I posed, as the devils advocate I asked if you were opposed to it?
Nothing more ore less.

That's not exactly the question I posed, as the devils advocate I asked if you were opposed to it?
Nothing more ore less.
The question you asked has an incorrect assertion attached to it; that the state governments can reject the refugees and that this therefore means that more refugees will be divided up between fewer states. You stated that as fact. A lot of people seem to assume that this is true. It isn't true.

Moreover, I really doubt that the refugees will be divided up among the states in any kind of equal fashion - I am guessing that a lot more will go to certain areas than to others.

To answer your question, I am not unduly concerned.

Terrorists do not come generally come in through immigration vetting processes - they usually either sneak in, or they are home grown - either way it is easier for them to come in undetected.

I take away from this conversation that I am not nuts. I have prepared for a bad situation. What kind of dad would I be if I had not? I guess just another one of my neighbors who feel
You're being prepared.

All it would take is for a few guys to eff with the fragile power grids here in Oregon and they could shut entire cities down for days if not weeks. Consider we're only a few meals from anarchy because our "loving" neighbors chose to NOT be prepared..

If you dont have paper money ON hand your digital money is worthless, you cant access it in a blackout (if you can, do it ASAP) but for the most part, in blackouts; cards mean nothing.
Sure gold and silver.. Blah blah blah.. But it takes a much larger societal breakdown to start using precious metals. Im talking about immediate funds. Cash will still be king for a while. Things may cost more (supply and demand) but money will still be taken.
Precious metals for the average joe are hard to tell.. So unless they too are familiar with gold and silver that fancy metal some folks are banking on still wont buy them food 72-168
(7-days) hours after an attack or natural desaster.

Id have food and water on hand and carry your side arm(s) daily.

As for shootings, the likelihood of race inspired shootings is high right now.. Thank god their activity has kind of cooled.. But it wont take much to kick that hornets nest.

The likelihood of a mall or other populated area shooting is also high.. Mostly due to copycats, kids using anti pshycotics and wannabe terrorists, not the "real" bad guys. So that being said, Id say it is perfectly normal to be a little overly cautious..

The worst case scenario from you being over prepared and overly alert, nothing happens.

The worst case scenario if things do hit the fan and you're unprepared.. You die.

Id say I like the odds of being overly prepared and alert much better than being dead or without food and water.

At first my family thought it was odd
(years ago) when I started my daily carry routines and travel routines by packing firearms, food and water.. No matter where I went or where we went as a family. The amount of comfort they have knowing I carry those things 24/7 is amazing.. I didnt know until they told me so. I was surprised as they had gave me a few odd looks early on.. Now its expected and very appreciated.

I take away from this conversation that I am not not nuts. I have prepared for a bad situation. What kind of dad would I be if I had not? I guess I would be just another one of my neighbors who feel protected by the police.

I had the same feeling with my immediate family about awkward looks. Now I am the one that gets called whenever my Mother wants to show one of her rental houses or anything...She says it just makes her nerves calm for me to be there. I can accept being nuts/paranoid if it puts my wife, kids, mother at ease even now before any SHTF.

If something does happen. Yeah I would rather be one of the few "nuts" that can feed my kids and maybe help protect people against whatever bad folks may be around.

I will continue being a nut. I think my "hyper awareness" could not handle it any other way. I have a feeling I will be willing to trade some ammo for ANYTHING but rice and beans at some point.

Last Edited:
.Terrorists do not come generally come in through immigration vetting processes - they usually either sneak in, or they are home grown - either way it is easier for them to come in undetected.
I think there's like a hundred million foreign muslim students studying rocketry and nukes here on visa.
it's sooo hard "for them to come in undetected". that was a lol right there.. we pay them, incentivize them to be here. For no reason whatsoever. save for
what?

Just to clarify my own "paranoia". I used ISIS as an example of why I have been paying more attention. Seemed to be the main thing that was taken from my post.
There is much more happening than just that radical group. Race wars, riots, earthquakes, more gang shootings than in the past. All of it. Things are not pretty and if you still hide behind it just being a mass media scare then maybe you SHOULD watch the news a bit more. Read some history. If you do not then you do not get that we are simply repeating it once again. I suppose ignorance is bliss but I prefer to be real. There are real issues for us to be concerned about.
I am no mall ninja nor am I hopeful for SHTF. Just a family man who pays attention. I suggest some of you who are living in some world I do not understand where all of these issues are "pipe dreams" wake the eff up!
Bad stuff is going on and if you are NOT being more vigilante these days then you may or may not be around to regret that false sense of security. I hope I am wrong but if I am then all I have lost is some money I spent on dried and canned food that spoiled.....someday.

What do you lose by ignoring signs to be prepared? I think it will be losing a bit more than some money. Could lose everything....Also could lose nothing and keep living the way you are. Is it worth not being a bit more prepared though?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top