JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I've already started taking some steps to improve my health and address some old injuries that kind of messed me up in 2019. I have found in the past if I did a modified* version of Paleo, I got great results at the gym and elsewhere. If I did not, and allowed carbs and booze to sneak back in, bad results. Pretty straight forward.

I've been reading up on Paleo again, but also the one called Keto. I know some of the peeps here do that and would be curious on the insight. Thanks.

* The modifications were minor; black tea in the morning. Small amounts of dairy, which was largely goat's milk and cheese. But the core was there; lean meats, fish, fruits, vegetables, nuts, and zero carbs or alcohol. I've never, even as a small child, had a sweet tooth, so I didn't have to give up sugary crap or soda, because I've never consumed them.

Cut out alcohol, bread, sugar and eat mostly veggies cheese and lean meats. Worked for me. I didn't eat enough fat for Keto but eating healthy natural foods and not drinking has me down almost 40. Oh yeah, and lots of exercise.

It works for me ( Still a works in progress ) as I eat a LOT of Salmon/Steelhead and well Marbled Red Meat once a week!
Chicken on the BBQ till done, and little if any added flavoring! NO TURKEY!

Get the hell off CORN and corn based products, Get off the sugars, and salt, and watch your grain intake, you want the simple ( rustics) in grains only! Watch the fruits, there are good sugars and bad sugars, not all fruit is good for you!

I put on a ton of muscle and lost a good chunk of fat on keto.

stopped Thanksgiving and going back this weekend.

min keto I had more stamina in the gym for my workouts and have much better mental clarity.

Types of fats like mentioned are as important as how much.

Honesty unless I'm eating lean meat (which is rare I only add about 2 tablespoons of Kerygold butter or avocado oil to my veggies to keep my fats up.

There is a large thread on keto with links for more information if your interested. Ken Berry on YouTube is my go to for keto and carnivore lifestyle info.

I replaced my man tits and belly with pecs and abs. I'm in the best shape I can remember. Matter of fact I'm headed to the gym now! Get some!

Increase cardio and resistance training, reduce intake of calorically dense food and enjoy life. While many of the fad diets work, they come and go like people who speak out against Clinton. The fad diets work because people reduce calories and get off their asses.

There are no shortcuts or magic pills/diets that are going to cleanse and kickstart your metabolism. It's not how the human body works.

Well, a modified keto regimen has put me at three pounds from goal weight and five months before goal time.
Start: 240lbs last April. Goal: 200lbs by my 40th birthday in June.

The regimen:
1. Spread my calories out over more of the day, eating higher-calorie meals at breakfast and lunch tapering down to a small dinner and snacks.
2. Nothing beyond a small snack, like a handful of olives or a couple pieces of jerky, within 3-4 hours of bedtime.
3. Switching to no-cal no-sugar sparkling waters helps keep me feeling full so I'm not urged to snack.
4. High healthy fat, high fiber, low non-fiber carb. It may not be "pure keto" but corn slathered in butter helps me a lot by keeping things movin' on through.
5. Allowance for a cheat day here and there so the tasty stuff you have to give up most of the time becomes a reward for discipline and good behavior rather than building into a craving.
6. Remember, slow and steady wins the race--accept the odd step backward here and there along the way as long as overall you're posting much more yardage moving the ball toward the end zone than you're giving up.

When I started this mess I was wearing size 42 pants; now, I have to remember to keep the belt cinched a lot higher and tighter until I order a few pairs of size 40's, though the "tape" goals are more 34-36" waist and more importantly a 17-18" neck so I can button my shirt collars again. And yes, I still cheat here and there with a couple swigs of Dr Pepper in the morning and the odd helping of 2-3 M&M's once or twice a day, and I'm still stuck unable to get as much exercise as I should.

I'll just comment about what I'm doing.

I'm back on my form of keto/paleo, however we want to term it. Lean meat, greens and dairy. Next to no carbs, no refined sugar, no fruits, no fried food. The basic rule is stay out of the center isles of the grocery store...

I was on this diet up to almost 18 months ago, combined with lots of weight training, and had great results. Kettlebells early in the morning and a lunchtime hike at work.

At the end of 2018 I was involuntarily moved to a different kid and I allowed my discipline to fall off. In short, my available time plummeted and stress level shot up. I've put on some not good weight and let my physical condition slide.

So, I'm back on my diet for two weeks now. Haven't resumed the workouts but I'll get there soon.

The main thing is I've avoided the chocolate chip cookies and milk in the evening. Big win...

I do Atkins from time to time to reel in the 'ole gut, works for me.

If I believe what I see on TV though, I'm gonna try Sono Belo; instant abs, taught biceps, tight a$$, and you guys are gonna love the pics of me wearing a size 2 dress :p

I do Atkins from time to time to reel in the 'ole gut, works for me.

If I believe what I see on TV though, I'm gonna try Sono Belo; instant abs, taught biceps, tight a$$, and you guys are gonna love the pics of me wearing a size 2 dress :p
Sonobello doesn't do crap about deep fat, though, it only hits the outer layers. My mother was thinking about it as a way to try to take down some of her morbid obesity (300+ lbs at 5'2") so she COULD try to exercise more, and found that it couldn't reduce enough to make a difference for her.

The advantage to either of these (and most any "diet") is you paying attention to what you put in your body (quantity and quality). Paying attention to what is really in the foods folks eat every day. I am not an ardent supporter of Keto or Peleo but I have seen some good results from folks at work who have done one or the other. You do need to exercise with either for full effect.

All good info. To quote the old song "did it before, will do it again". Before I had my kids, I was a gym nut and super health conscious. Though decades ago, the exercises and routines I learned when boxing amateur stuck (sprints, calisthenics, resistance training, speed bag, heavy bag, etc.) with me and a great way to keep in shape. But long hours burning at both ends at the job, the only gym in town closing, kiddos and too much partying in the city has taken its toll. Oh well, just gotta get busy. :s0155:

True, though it is based upon the notion of food types we were consuming during early human evolution. Solid science or stupid fad diet? Quite possibly either one; I dunno. But I do know a modified version of it worked really well for my particular bod. Carbs and hooch being the primary devil, as far as I could tell. No idea how it works for others.

One thing I'll need to modify is I eat a good deal of Mexican food, which quite bit of it is carb heavy, and I suspect the main conduit for the carb situation in general, because I don't eat junk food. Though similar dishes from Spain and Portugal aren't nearly as bad carb-o-rama wise. Will have to do some research on that score.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews