JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Steak-and-eggs, or steak-and-salad, or chicken-and-salad meals have been a big help for me. Lots of cottage cheese instead of the spuds, and in my case rice seems to work as an okay substitute too.

Take a look at the "blue zones" and you will see that it is in almost direct contradiction to keto/paleo diet. These people consistently live to over 100.

They have low fat, low meat and high carb diets. Lots of whole grains, beans, fruit and vegetables. Coupled with high levels of activity and low depression.

I don't know diddly about keto or paleo or any other diet. I just know what works for me, so take it with a grain of salt... unless you're on a low sodium diet...

If I didn't grow it or raise it, I don't eat it. The only exceptions being a few seasonings and salt. Beef, veal, chicken, turkey, and rabbit for meat. Fresh veggies and greens from the garden when in season, home canned when not. I don't count calories or how many grams of this or that I've eaten. I'm up and active from 5AM to 11PM or midnight more days than not. Doc says at 76 I'm in better shape than the majority of 30 year olds he sees and my bloodwork is always A-OK. So, I suppose that puts me firmly in the eating fresh/natural foods and get plenty of exercise camp.

@JustSomeGuy what sort of agricultural operation do you run? Just curious. Oh, and veal ... mmmm. :D

Nothing commercial, it's more of a subsistance sized operation that my wife maintains. She was born and raised on a pretty large farm in Sweden, so our few acres are no problem for her to maintain with only minor assistance from her grumpy old husband. We grow enough for our own use and bartering with the neighbors. Anything left over goes to food banks/charity.

Thanks for the note @JustSomeGuy. We only really garden here, but when we move to the southwest, I'm putting in a green housing operation and going to have some animal production too (e.g., chickens, goats, beekeeping) for our own use. I grew up very rural/remote, and have some (albeit limited) formal agricultural training, so I find this interesting. Anyway, I was just wondering. Blessings to you and yours. :)

Thanks for the note @JustSomeGuy. We only really garden here, but when we move to the southwest, I'm putting in a green housing operation and going to have some animal production too (e.g., chickens, goats, beekeeping) for our own use. I grew up very rural/remote, and have some (albeit limited) formal agricultural training, so I find this interesting. Anyway, I was just wondering. Blessings to you and yours. :)

Thank you, and I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors. :)

Obesity wasn't even really a thing in this country 50 years ago. Yes there were people here and there but not much. Processed foods, excessive sugar in said foods and over indulgence along with little to no exercise has caused many to struggle with their weight these days.

Another thing I do is NEVER eat until "full". I eat small amounts at a time until I'm just not hungry and then that's it. Feeling full or stuffed seems to be desired often by many.

My best success comes from Intermittent fasting. I do some hours each day - not the do not eat for a day or days version.

8+16 is easy. Skip breakfast. This means that you can only eat on some 8 hour window - you set that window based upon your life.
Say you get Lunch at work at 11 am - eat from 11 to 7 pm only (8 hour window) You may drink in the fast window if there is no food in the beverage. Black Coffee, Tea (no milk), ACV Apple Cider Vinegar ( diluted in water ) Many water flavors / enhancers have chemicals or sugars often hidden so avoid those. Adding some lemon or lime juice, is OK.

6+18 is what I am trying to do, but I can't always due to work. If I get home late I am still in an 8 hour window.

Foods to eat - - do not break your fast with anything sugar. You can eat carbs and such, just dont' break it that way - so no fruit loops for "breakfast" Have some egg, meat, veggie. Wait a few minutes, then eat healthy as you normally would. My definition of healthy is eat as close to the way nature provides as possible. Twinkies, Chicken Nuggets, where exactly are those harvested? Wild game/fish best.

Paleo, Keto work with I.F.

Thomas is a U-tuby supporter

I like Paleo. the hardest part is the dairy, giving that up would be tough.
I did it for a month a few years back just to try and dropped 25 lbs. I think it would be easier to stick to then keto, but to be honest, I am a bit of a cave man myself so eating like one would not be hard.:)

If we look at our best friends, dogs, we've had ones where we could slice open a 30lb bag of food, leave it there for open grazing, some would never gain an ounce, others would be dead from obesity in a month. I mean this metaphorically of course.

Our bodies are wired a certain way. I can't resist salt, my much better half can't resist sugar.

I like 9mm, she likes .38 special, wait a sec, where the heck did that come from :D

I like Paleo. the hardest part is the dairy, giving that up would be tough.

Ditto. Though the modified one I did years back had a small amount; a glass of milk every few days, a few small cubes of goat cheese every now and again, etc.

Our bodies are wired a certain way. I can't resist salt, my much better half can't resist sugar.

I'm the same way. Never had any interest in sweets. Salty food? Oh yah. Way too much. :s0165:

I don't like to be restricted to a specific diet, because I think that most of them cut out foods that aren't necessarily bad and you usually fail in the long run. I just try to eat mostly plants, and minimize processed foods and sugar. Some of the best meat I can get and some complex carbs are ok IMO. I try not to overeat or eat too late and exercise as much possible.

If I occasionally eat a piece of pizza and a beer, I don't stress it. Moderation and a sustained overall healthy lifestyle is the key IMO.

And then there is SOY. AVOID. AVOID animals fattened on it too. " it is not healthy for humans. "

"STICK WITH OLIVE OIL AND LARD: Soybean oil, America's most widely consumed oil, causes genetic changes in the brain. "Used for fast food frying, added to packaged foods, and fed to livestock, soybean oil is by far the most widely produced and consumed edible oil in the U.S., according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. In all likelihood, it is not healthy for humans." "

"New UC Riverside research shows soybean oil not only leads to obesity and diabetes, but could also affect neurological conditions like autism, Alzheimer's disease, anxiety, and depression."

Last Edited:
I realize everyone is different but I'll add this...

Every single person I know personally (And I work in a gym so I talk to a lot of people) that claims to have tried keto and says they did not see any positive results were flat not doing it correctly To be blunt.

There is no such thing as a necessary carb, plus look into the science studying why we developed much larger brains in a very short evolutionary time period.

As far as giving up food I love... I haven't had an issue. If you look for it there is a no carb natural option for just about anything.

Those of you chasing low fat diets, you should seriously research what your gal bladder is for and why people then have to have it removed and are stuck on a low fat diet for the rest of their life.

Kruejl mentioned no one was fat back 50 years ago, his points are valid but that is also the exact time the new 'Food Triangle' was introduced.. Do a little research on that and you'll be surprised where the money goes.

Lastly, my daily meals look like this:

No breakfast or bone broth & MCT oil.

Lunch is steak, butter and broccoli - afterwards I'm stuffed but not uncomfortably

Dinner is chopped bacon and 20/80 ground beef hamburgers with cheese on top with more broccoli/Brussel sprouts or asparagus

I don't weigh my food anymore though my wife does, I just eat till I'm full.

Oh, and diet is about 85% of weight loss. Lots of people loose plenty of weight without working out.

Working out is good for building muscle, toning body parts and increased cardiovascular health - that's it. It's not a great way to loose weight.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top