JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How many of you have painted your gun camo? I'm thinking about doing it to my Remington 700. What's the best paint? What's the best way? Do I use primer first? Sand the stock? I don't want to have a ugly pile of junk when I get done! I was thinking about just doing the stock, thatway its easy to replace. I've seen some Marine M40s just painted and they look awesome though. What do I do?

I think that you may like your painted stock.

There was somebody on here I believe maybe it was outdoorstrader who offered a painting service.

Can't say I like the Hello Kitty but whatever floats her boat.

I did mine, and so far it is holding up GREAT. I got aerosol "brake parts/electric motor cleaner", hosed the gun down with that, let it air dry, and then did it with mil. spec. flat finish spray paint. Let it dry for 48hrs and it's hard as a rock, looks good, and the heat from shooting the h#ll out of it has had no effect on it at all. I think it looks great, and others think it looks great to :)

First take a look at some of the home-spun paint jobs on <broken link removed> . There are a few threads where the painter outlines each step of the process in detail.
Then I'd suggest taking your sweet time.
Have you ever used an airgun sprayer before? If so, look at the Dura Coat paints...they offer camo kits as well.
If not, you might want to consider using the Krylon camo paints

WalMart use to have the Krylon camo paints. You can buy fancy paints from Brownell's, but Krylon works. If you get a rub, then a quick squirt and it is covered again.

When you tire of it, acetone takes it off.

Look around snipershide.com for how to paint. Start with the lightest color and move darker.

Cheers

I have painted the three AK's that I have built. I used the Duracaot peel and srray system. I decided on the Dessert digital pattern. Used an airbrush. When the Duracoat dries it is very hard and durable.

One more question, do you paint the bolt too? My plan is to just "plug" the barrel, tape the scope knobs off, close the scope caps and spray away. I have two friends that are ex-Marines and one ex-Army, they said that's all they did over seas.

i've never painted a bolt gun.. although i do have one somewhere in the back of the safe.. i should get it out and paint it. i would not paint the bolt, though.. dont paint any wear surface, as the paint will just chip/gum/wear right off. you can paint the handle and the back of the bolt just fine, probably.

krylon works, as everyone has said. i've found that rustoleum works better, but cure time is generally 3+ weeks.. so plan on not using it for a while.

for my ARs, i just wipe the exterior down with lacquer thinner and spray away. no primer, no sanding. if your stock is wood and lacquered, i'd keep lacquer thinner away from it and sand- but if it's synthetic, just wipe with thinner and spray.

if you want to get fancy, get some contact paper from wally world or your favorite everything-store, and cut out some stencils.. most guys coat the whole gun in the lightest color first, then progress other colors in- for traditional camos like Woodland, i actually think it's best to start with the darkest color, then progress into lighter colors... the lighter colors (like krylon khaki) need the most control, as they're the brightest parts of the gun. by doing the lightest color last, you have way more control over how much and in what shape it comes out. digital camos, on the other hand, do seem to work better if you start lighter. YMMV.

if i remember, i'll post some paint jobs tomorrow. its way bubblegummin past my bedtime right now.

Stainless is easy. Use some to rove oils, cover end of barrel and remover bolt, cover action access areas and paint. As said previously, I keep the paint out of the "working" aresa

Orchemo,

I understand the idea of painting the gun and keeping the paint out of the working components. I am wondering if SS requires special treatments to make paint stick or needs special primer or such. I know that aluminum does. Sounds like you are suggesting that painting it is no different than a blued gun.

Is that your experience?

my experience with stainless has all been with a matte finish- and it's always worked great. satin or gloss stainless, seems to me, should be blasted first.

there are some industrial bake-on enamels that will stick well to stainless, but i've never used or seen them used on gun-barrels. but that doesn't mean it's not done, just that i'm not helpful. ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top