JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1. M16 (used these in the army). Light weight, easy to use, easy to shoot. (have a couple of AR's)
2. M14 (trained on these in the army) Have owned several, let them all go in the run-up to the AWB in Wash.
3. M1 Rifle (have two, one in .30-06 and another in 7.62mm NATO)

I've owned a number of 1903 Springfield variants over the years, good rifles but as I've gotten older, I don't hold much with heavy bolt actions. I've got sporting bolt actions that are much lighter. Of the 03's, I liked the 03A3 best for having aperture rear sight.

Hard to say why, I don't own one and probably never will (given the political landscape in WA) . Even if I did, it wouldn't be my "shtf" rifle or my "one and only."

But there is just something cool about a battle rifle used by SOF units before SOF units were cool.

M1 Carbine family,

M1 Carbine - War Baby
Years ago we had a club member a crusty old WW 2 veteran who saw combat in the south pacific. He referred to the
M1 Carbine as the "Idiot Stick". Issued to rear support personnel, truck drivers, cooks and officers. I like the
improved version of the M1 Garand. My choice is the M14 with it's superior gas operating system.
My custom built NM M1A.
1697371463756.png

1873 Springfield trapdoor carbine. What can I say? I'm a bit of a Cavalry buff and it's just a plain ol rip in the pants to shoot. 😁 👍

(Runner up would be a Sharps.) ;)

Saying the M1 (Rifle or Carbine) might be seen as 'too easy' so im gonna go with the M1941 Johnson.
Unique design that actually worked quite well. I had a chance to shoot a buddies a long time ago and I thought it handles and points very well. Looking at the internals you can see where Eugene Stoner got a lot of inspiration when designing the AR15. I dont think the US wouldve been at a disadvantage at all if in an alt-history scenario they had chosen it over the Garand. And by many accounts the LMG version mightve been one of the best squad machine guns of the war so theres that too.

One of my favorites, considered by some to be one of the most recognizable and also the most hated... the M14 EBR-RI
Whenever the Military issues something that is designated "Enhanced", it just means that the weight has been increased.

An article on the M14 EBR-RI

My civilian version of a heavy M(1A)14 EBR-RI (not clone correct)
ui_m1a.jpg

Edited to reduce clutter.

Last Edited:
Years ago we had a club member a crusty old WW 2 veteran who saw combat in the south pacific. He referred to the
M1 Carbine as the "Idiot Stick". Issued to rear support personnel, truck drivers, cooks and officers.
My now departed father-in-law was a combat marine in WW2. His comment about the Carbine: "No officer who took his shooting seriously carried a Carbine."

A bit of historical neat-o-ness: Audie Murphy's M1 Carbine that he gifted to a friend during the Watts Riots for home protection. It went up for auction some time back.

IMG_9206-Large.jpg

Murphy, according to his book To Hell and Back (Holt, 1949), referred to it as his "lucky carbine", and preferred the diminutive rifle over the Garand for some environments ("Wonder if I could get a carbine. I don't like an M-1 for this woods fighting."). A couple interesting vignettes from the aforementioned book:

"Within a moment I am involved in a duel with a German who climbs upon a cannon to get the advantage of elevation. I see him as he lowers his rifle upon me and whip up my carbine. He fires. The bullet kicks dust in my face as my carbine goes off. Frantically I try to blink the dirt from my eyes, knowing the German will not miss again. It is only a few seconds, perhaps, but it seems much longer before I can see. The kraut is sprawled in front of the gun. Later I discover that my lucky shot got him in the heart." (Chapter 15)

"Before reporting to company headquarters, I carefully clean my carbine. 'I want to go up and try to get that sniper,' I say …. There is a rustle. My eyes snap forward. The branches of a bush move. I drop to one knee. We see each other simultaneously. His face is a black as a rotting corpse; and his cold eyes are filled with evil. As he frantically reaches for the safety of his rifle, I fire twice. He crashes backwards …. At headquarters I make my report. Then I go to the room that serves as a kitchen, take my carbine apart, and start cleaning it." (Chapter 17)
Parenthetically, though before my time, I have two relations, and a former boss, who lived through the Watts riots back in the day. Tense time, to put it mildly. Good on Audie for helping a buddy. :)

I was living in Hawthorn during the '64 Watts riots. I remember my Mom telling my to not stand by the front window so as to not get shot. I was 8 years old.

Last Edited:
My now departed father-in-law was a combat marine in WW2. His comment about the Carbine: "No officer who took his shooting seriously carried a Carbine."
I was a pretty good rifle shot before my eyes faded and I have never especially liked the Carbine. I have some modern handguns that can approximate the performance of the M1 Carbine. Some of the fighting in the Pacific was across canyons and airfields. Give me the Garand every time for that.

Donald Malarkey of the 101st Airborne (Band of Brothers fame) once claimed he hit 2 Germans with a Carbine at "2-300 yards" distance. I always found this remarkable. I have one (1) Carbine in my safe and its on my list to see if I can replicate that 2-300 yards shot on a steel gong.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top