JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was a pretty good rifle shot before my eyes faded and I have never especially liked the Carbine. I have some modern handguns that can approximate the performance of the M1 Carbine. Some of the fighting in the Pacific was across canyons and airfields. Give me the Garand every time for that.

Donald Malarkey of the 101st Airborne (Band of Brothers fame) once claimed he hit 2 Germans with a Carbine at "2-300 yards" distance. I always found this remarkable. I have one (1) Carbine in my safe and its on my list to see if I can replicate that 2-300 yards shot on a steel gong.
I had my .30 Carbine days earlier in life. I had three different examples. They were plinkers, essentially in a pistol cartridge. They no longer fascinate me. As a military weapon, I guess they were a serious arm, in the same sense that a 9mm submachinegun was in a light cartridge. The M2 was the full-auto version. My unit in Vietnam had a "found" M2 Carbine that I once fired; it went through ammo pretty fast. Faster than the German MP40, for example. Of course the M2 came along late in WW2, was made in a ratio of about 1 to 10 compared to the M1 Carbine. The M1 Rifle was the real shooting machine.

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but one that I've always thought has been a little overlooked is the Krag-Jørgensen in .30—40 Krag. Features a smooth action and some unique / neato features.

1698801942287.png

I like Krags, but I always feel like I'll lose a finger tip in the side door when closing. Like playing with a rat trap.

Military rifles are dangerous: M1 thumb and Krag finger. :D

Bruce

My most favoritist of them all, the M-1855 MK-IV Colt Frontier Carbine in .50 Caliber, hits like a Mack Truck, and is quite accurate far beyond what most believe a black powder firearm is capable of! This one is late MK-IV SN 426 of 1862 and has been sporterized in period, but ironically, retains it's saddle ring, it's cylinder grease tube, while being fitted with a ultra rare "Target" type rear sight, truly an impressive and unique piece of American Military History, much hated for what it was and what it was not, misunderstood and misused by many, a result of many failings by the Army and it's leadership, as well as Colt failings in holding it's patents!
1698806700605.png

For myself, m2 carbine though I could make a case for a lot of them. Personally I own only the m1 carbine. But the trapdoor would probably be my second choice.

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but one that I've always thought has been a little overlooked is the Krag-Jørgensen in .30—40 Krag. Features a smooth action and some unique / neato features.

View attachment 1752626
This would be a rifle I'd have to have if I had the/unlimited, space for storage. I am SO drawn to that action! Such a cool gun. Historically speaking.

What is your all time favorite United States military rifle? Why so? Are any part of your collection?

Rules of the game:

• It can be any rifle adopted and issued by at least one branch of the armed forces of the United States of America (Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, Space Force and Coast Guard).
  • Any time period you wish, from 1776 to the present moment.
  • It must be a rifle or carbine. (No submachine-guns, shotguns, pistols, bat bombs, or Davy Crockett tactical nukes.)
  • The design may be of American origin, not, or a combination of American and foreign design.
  • Any ignition system, propellant type, action type, feed system, et al. is fine, assuming the aforementioned.
Enjoy! :)
My favorite rifles are the disappearing guns. Replica 6" at fort stevens is a rifle but not sure about the 10" originals. I just think they are cool. I think it meets all your rules.

6" Replica
6542913E-3BFB-490E-926D-6283A82CC837.jpeg
10" original
E5D68366-3142-4499-BB91-41E87A8625E8.jpeg
3BEFD104-6C1E-4C6E-83EC-8DBA7F904FC3.png

Last Edited:
Since the post askes what our favorite miliary "rifle" is, I guess the M79 is out (it will always be my favorite), so I'll go with the M1 Garand.

I'm not old enough or crusty enough to have carried the M1 but I did carry an M14 and than the M16 in Marines. Than later on an M4. All were progressively lighter compared to the Garand, but If I had to choose just one it would be the M1 Garand.

I carried a variety of Colt M4's through my service career and I'll stand by those. They were hands down my favorite and never failed me from the mountains of Afghanistan to the deserts of Iraq to the swamps of Ft Polk to the Center of the Universe at Ft Bragg.

I have three 03-a3s currently. One in 30-06- one in 6.5x55 and one soon to be a 257 roberts. I will aquire more as I find cartridges i dont have, been thinking about a 6.5-06 next.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads