JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is hard core rattlesnake country. At least you would be safe while in the boat.
The last time I stood on the shore of the Deschutes barefoot I had a 3' rattler zip out of a grass clump on my right, directly over all 10 toes and into the grass clump on my left. That distinctive shaped head was all I could focus on and I was happy he decided I was not a worthy victim.

On the Deschutes my wife and I were near the water watching some rafts come down a rapid. We turned to go back to the trail and suddenly my wife levitated in front of me and landed about 5' further out... I know something was up, due to her excessive fear of snakes, stopped mid-step and looked down... a rattler was traveling about 5" under my foot, right where it would have landed if I finished my step. :eek::eek::eek:

That was quite a trip, ticks, snakes, spiders, and a mad bull!

I spend a lot of time fly fishing the Metolious and I saw quite a few rattlers on the stretch above Monty Campground. They were a light green color. I had never seen a green rattler before but they blended in very well.

On the Deschutes my wife and I were near the water watching some rafts come down a rapid. We turned to go back to the trail and suddenly my wife levitated in front of me and landed about 5' further out... I know something was up, due to her excessive fear of snakes, stopped mid-step and looked down... a rattler was traveling about 5" under my foot, right where it would have landed if I finished my step. :eek::eek::eek:

That was quite a trip, ticks, snakes, spiders, and a mad bull!
Those snakes like the moist areas near Springs, creeks and rivers.......lots of mice and critters to eat. I have been around them most of my life.....they don't bother me a lot even though I have been bitten but I really worry about little kids, dogs and livestock. They are not really aggressive like southern snakes but something to be very aware of. I have eaten more than my share of them, particularly in survival school. My great aunt used to can them in a pickleing brine and serve cut into small bites with a toothpick as an appetizer.

Last Edited:
I spend a lot of time fly fishing the Metolious and I saw quite a few rattlers on the stretch above Monty Campground. They were a light green color. I had never seen a green rattler before but they blended in very well.
I will admit that I would have a tough time passing on those as they're rather tasty and would make a great pair of shoes with that color pattern.

Those snakes like the moist areas near creeks and rivers.......lots of mice and critters to eat. I have been around them most of my life.....they don't bother me a lot even though I have been bitten but I really worry about little kids, dogs and livestock. They are not really aggressive like southern snakes but something to be very aware of.

All true. I've been near them on the Imnaha, at Brownlee, and Deschutes where I would be standing in the river and rattlers swimming back and forth looking like little Viking ships. They weren't interested in me but stepping on one, traveling thru the brush, stepping on the far side of a rock or a log, would not be wise.

When I was a very little guy, my folks found me playing with a bunch of baby rattlers, teasing them with a stick. Looking back, those had to be Western Diamondback Rattlers. Uh, where was their mommy and daddy? We used to hit them while traveling in the car. Some were huge! A six foot Western Diamondback could be as fat as my thigh!!!

There is a species of rattler called the Mojave Green that is a rare color variance. They make great hatbands.

I shot a 12 rattle one on the Powder river, made a nice guitar strap! Went to get out of the truck and he was right where I would have stepped. Shut the door and put the shotgun out the window, ate him.

All true. I've been near them on the Imnaha, at Brownlee, and Deschutes where I would be standing in the river and rattlers swimming back and forth looking like little Viking ships. They weren't interested in me but stepping on one, traveling thru the brush, stepping on the far side of a rock or a log, would not be wise.

When I was a very little guy, my folks found me playing with a bunch of baby rattlers, teasing them with a stick. Looking back, those had to be Western Diamondback Rattlers. Uh, where was their mommy and daddy? We used to hit them while traveling in the car. Some were huge! A six foot Western Diamondback could be as fat as my thigh!!!

Those babies were just as deadly!

I moved up from Cottage Grove, my aunt lived out London Rd. about a mile from C.G. lake and we roamed that area constantly on foot, bike, and little motorcycles. We knew to approach our bicycles carefully as they provided some shade when we tipped them over on dirt paths to run off and explore, but missed finding one once. I will never forget the moves my cousin did when he realized he had a stow away as he started peddling back to his house. Had this not been 15 years before the Matrix you would have thought he studied up to do all that! He went straight up, head a good 6 feet off the ground (we were 7 & 8), his legs went wide to almost splits, and the bike then passed underneath him about 10 feet before crashing to a stop. We dispatched that snake as he broke the rules of engagement, although in hindsight we could have done a better job inspecting the seat tube...

Hmmm, rattlers hide under cars, decks, etc. Our Quartzsite friends found one under his patio chair... a big Diamondback getting some shade. YIKES!!!

BTW, he was in the chair when his wife came around the trailer to see if he wanted a coffee refill. She managed to get another camper to come and coax the snake away (no shooting on the Quartzsite LTVA).

BTW, he was in the chair when his wife came around the trailer to see if he wanted a coffee refill. She managed to get another camper to come and coax the snake away (no shooting on the Quartzsite LTVA).
That is the start of a life long friendship. I have all the gear now to move them aside unharmed when needed, but I subscribed to a philosophy from a friend that teaches ophiology in Texas, to take the ones that don't rattle when it would be reasonable for them to do so. I have not hear if they have enough data to make a conclusion as they why they would be quieter, but I am sure it will be thoroughly tested!

That is the start of a life long friendship. I have all the gear now to move them aside unharmed when needed, but I subscribed to a philosophy from a friend that teaches ophiology in Texas, to take the ones that don't rattle when it would be reasonable for them to do so. I have not hear if they have enough data to make a conclusion as they why they would be quieter, but I am sure it will be thoroughly tested!
I kill them whenever I see them. Particularly when near places frequented by people. You might be able to move around one safely but what about the next family that is going down the trail. There are plenty of rarely visited wild places they can live but if they are in a place frequented by people.......they are dead by whatever means nessisary. I have been eye to eye with several through the years, once in a wrecking yard in the California gold country, I crawled under an old military truck that I was interested in to see what parts were missing, the snake was a foot from my head when I saw him. Backed out slowly and killed him with a stick. I had a colt bitten in his nose also in the gold country.......nearly lost him even after 1000.00 spent with the vet. If they are near people or stock, they need to be killed. Many bull snakes are mistaken for rattlers by less experienced people. We never kill them unless I catch them after my chickens. They will gorge themselves on chicks and eggs. Otherwise they are good guys. The rattlesnake venom isn't nessisarley the worst part, the bite often permotes serious infections and gang green.

Don't believe anyone who tells you rattle snakes do not swim. Watched one chase my brother across 30' of slack water along the Deschutes near Maupin. Had another baby rattler come up from under the rocks while wading, the water was about 3' deep.

Don't believe anyone who tells you rattle snakes do not swim. Watched one chase my brother across 30' of slack water along the Deschutes near Maupin. Had another baby rattler come up from under the rocks while wading, the water was about 3' deep.
Are there any snakes that don't swim when needed? Along the Row river there are several warm pools and we, being naughty little boys would keep an eye out for the water snakes that were crazy long and skinny to catch by their tails as they lay floating in warm splendor and crack them like a whip and count how many times that little head would skip across the little river. Never got old!

Are there any snakes that don't swim when needed? Along the Row river there are several warm pools and we, being naughty little boys would keep an eye out for the water snakes that were crazy long and skinny to catch by their tails as they lay floating in warm splendor and crack them like a whip and count how many times that little head would skip across the little river. Never got old!
Not that I can really think of. There are those worm snakes, maybe they swim in a flood, but they mostly burrow around underground.
Couldn't find information about the one i'm referring too, maybe the one I found was an invasive species, maybe I should have taken it to a university instead of releasing it. Seems they're more common back east. Here's some more fun.
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/wildlife/living_with/docs/LivingWSnakes.pdf

Great thread for the snake stories. Got a place on the John Day, and probably have more snakes on the ranch than the whole population of Wheeler Co. (1425). Veteran hired-man said he only kills the aggressive ones. Don't like the babies. Can't see'em, and they're aggressive.

Great thread for the snake stories. Got a place on the John Day, and probably have more snakes on the ranch than the whole population of Wheeler Co. (1425). Veteran hired-man said he only kills the aggressive ones. Don't like the babies. Can't see'em, and they're aggressive.

I will kill all the snakes / pests you want if I can get permission to fish :D:s0061:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top