JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you heard that it was one of Oregon's best kept secrets then why would you post about it on a forum such as this? Just curious what your thoughts were here???
That's what happened to Mann Lake in the rain shadow east of the Steens Mountains. We'd go there as soon as the ice was off and catch Lahontan cutthroat, 16-24" nonstop all day. I have a picture of all six of us with a fish on. One of our gang invited a guy that wrote an article about it in Fly Fishing the Northwest magazine.
The next spring we arrived to see at least 10 times the people we'd seen the year before. Even had an airplane parked next to the road.
The fishing went from spectacular to 'meh' in a couple of years.

If you heard that it was one of Oregon's best kept secrets then why would you post about it on a forum such as this? Just curious what your thoughts were here???
I don't think it's much of a secret. The wife and I drove up past the dam to the State Park last week. Midweek. There were campers and folks fishing in large numbers the whole way to the dam.

Backpacker Magazine at one time listed parts of the Owyhee as the most desolate areas in the continental US. If you climbed out of the canyon it was many miles to any settlement. PAX

I don't think it's much of a secret. The wife and I drove up past the dam to the State Park last week. Midweek. There were campers and folks fishing in large numbers the whole

I don't think it's much of a secret. The wife and I drove up past the dam to the State Park last week. Midweek. There were campers and folks fishing in large numbers the whole way to the dam.
Hunted and fished over there for 15 years ending in 2017 and never saw but a few people here and there. Most were locals.Then I started seeing posts on different forums about how amazing the fishing was and then Oregon Field Guide did an episode on it and it wasn't long before it wasn't a secret spot anymore. Point being...secret places only stay secret until they get blasted on forums such as this. You not finding it to be much of a secret pretty much proves my point.

That's what happened to Mann Lake in the rain shadow east of the Steens Mountains. We'd go there as soon as the ice was off and catch Lahontan cutthroat, 16-24" nonstop all day. I have a picture of all six of us with a fish on. One of our gang invited a guy that wrote an article about it in Fly Fishing the Northwest magazine.
The next spring we arrived to see at least 10 times the people we'd seen the year before. Even had an airplane parked next to the road.
The fishing went from spectacular to 'meh' in a couple of years.
Yesir, I hear ya!! Before hunting the Owyhee unit I used to hunt the Beatys Butte unit and would make day trips over to Mann Lake for the awesome fishing. It's no longer the secret it used to be ...that's for sure.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top