JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

I've been waiting for smelt run to open and it's opening in Oregon Sandy River on March 30th. Now, they require each dipper to have a valid Oregon 2023 fishing license.
I believed In the past, a license was not required to dip for smelt in Oregon and Washington. Until recently, last year, on the Cowlitx River smelt run, you could bring your family and friends to dip. Each person can get a 10 lb limit without a fishing license. A big family gathering where everyone can take home 10 lbs of fish.

Now, nothing is free anymore. 44.00 fishing license and one-day 23.00. Is it worth it for 10 lbs of fish?

I've been waiting for smelt run to open and it's opening in Oregon Sandy River on March 30th. Now, they require each dipper to have a valid Oregon 2023 fishing license.
I believed In the past, a license was not required to dip for smelt in Oregon and Washington. Until recently, last year, on the Cowlitx River smelt run, you could bring your family and friends to dip. Each person can get a 10 lb limit without a fishing license. A big family gathering where everyone can take home 10 lbs of fish.

Now, nothing is free anymore. 44.00 fishing license and one-day 23.00. Is it worth it for 10 lbs of fish?
Nothing in life is free.

I'd pay $23 to participate in a once in a decade event (last Sandy river smelt season was 8 years ago, I believe). At least fishing license fees go to, "help pay for programs that improve habitat, open private lands to public access, enhance fishing opportunities, and protect fish, wildlife and their habitats for future generations."

Compare that to the administrative bureaucracy that the upcoming permit-to-purchase fee (even higher) will fund...

I'd pay $23 to participate in a once in a decade event (last Sandy river smelt season was 8 years ago, I believe). At least fishing license fees go to, "help pay for programs that improve habitat, open private lands to public access, enhance fishing opportunities, and protect fish, wildlife and their habitats for future generations."

Compare that to the administrative bureaucracy that the upcoming permit-to-purchase fee (even higher) will fund...
If you think ODFW is spending our money wisely, you're not paying attention. They've been just as guilty of the smoke & mirrors BS as anyone else. The Columbia River Endorsement is a prime example.

Years ago ago I spent many days smelt dipping at Half Moon Bay.
More often than not an enjoyable day ending in a wonderful fish fry.
Good times for sure.

Hasn't Oregon Fish and Game has done a wonderful job managing fish stocks in our Oregon rivers?
Difficult to find words.....

As a kid in the e 70's we dipped the Sandy as well as up on the Cowlitz. Growing up with limited means, we ate them vs what seems so popular now - using them as bait - and can remember hours spent cleaning them. Some were pan fried, the rest were smoked.

I tried to participate in the last opening some 8 years ago…. What a joke. Opened for 6 hours and if they weren't there you just didn't get anything. Not sure anyone back then got any.

On a side note, one year our family did a family vacation to Southern California. We were very reminiscent of the Griswold's and drove from Oregon in our '68 Chevelle wagon.Must have been 1974-75. We stayed in motels all along the way and did all the amusement parks. One motel was close to the beach. Long story short, we were there during a grunion run!

As a kid in the e 70's we dipped the Sandy as well as up on the Cowlitz. Growing up with limited means, we ate them vs what seems so popular now - using them as bait - and can remember hours spent cleaning them. Some were pan fried, the rest were smoked.

I tried to participate in the last opening some 8 years ago…. What a joke. Opened for 6 hours and if they weren't there you just didn't get anything. Not sure anyone back then got any.

On a side note, one year our family did a family vacation to Southern California. We were very reminiscent of the Griswold's and drove from Oregon in our '68 Chevelle wagon.Must have been 1974-75. We stayed in motels all along the way and did all the amusement parks. One motel was close to the beach. Long story short, we were there during a grunion run!

We used to smoke them also. Buckets of them. But we didn't bother cleaning them. Smoked whole, eaten whole. I remember them being delicious. The only bad was egg-filled females. That does not taste good.

Its worth it for the experience.

Otherwise 10lbs isnt even worth the gas. But thats not why we fish hunt anymore....

Go have fun.

If any of you care.... fresh smelt at retail is usually 5-6 bucks a pound. Columbia ( eulachon, candlefish) aren't even available most years. I might have gotten them twice in the last 7 years.
There is one place here in Seattle that serves fried smelt for about 2/3 weeks in April, Just pan, or deep fried, last time I went befor covid, it was about 30$$$ for a good sized platter/ with fries and slaw.

There are tons of these, dead, floating down the Lewis near Woodland right now. Anyone know anything about them?

54378.jpeg

There are lots of them in the Columbia right now near Vancouver. Some are swimming okay, but most are struggling, dying, and being washed up on the beaches. I wouldn't eat any of those if you paid me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top