JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Johnday river has some of the worst snakes, they tend not to rattle, but I haven't seen a swimmer there yet.

Back on topic, I would look up to see what guys in Montana do. I imagine a lot of hopper patterns later in the year, streamers that look like chub minnow and crawdads would be best on the Owyhee. Also, those rivers usually have good populations of tricoptera and rock cased caddis (at least Johnday does). If the water is low, just stand in the middle above a run going into a pool and swing your fly from side to side releasing about 3' of line after crossing the river. It's almost like cheating, except no bait so you're okay (bait is cheating). :D

On the Deschutes my wife and I were near the water watching some rafts come down a rapid. We turned to go back to the trail and suddenly my wife levitated in front of me and landed about 5' further out... I know something was up, due to her excessive fear of snakes, stopped mid-step and looked down... a rattler was traveling about 5" under my foot, right where it would have landed if I finished my step. :eek::eek::eek:

The Pucker factor would have elevated to 1000% and that snake would have been sprayed BROWN in a milisecond!!!:eek::eek::eek:

On the upper part of the reservoir is a place called Leslie Gulch. About 25 miles on a nasty washboard gravel road to get there. I suggest you take two vehicles as I've seen people broke down with two flat tires. From the top of the hill down into "The Gulch" is one of the most scenic and impressive areas in all of Oregon. The welded tuff rock formations are simply amazing. Near the bottom is an old cabin with a spring, where you can get fresh water, so if you end up with two flats you won't die of thirst.

Check ODFW fishing website for Owyhee water levels. No sense going to the gulch if the water level is below about 50% as there won't be a reservoir at that point, just a stream. Expect it to be freaking hot in the summer. Take lots of water and beer. Pretty much have to bring a boat...the crappie will be schooled up somewhere and doubtful it will be there by the boat ramp.

Going to Leslie Gulch is truly an adventure because it is out of the way big time. We have never seen rattle snakes at the little campground there, but often see them on the road in. Big horn sheep can be spotted on the rocks around camp, and there are lots of goats too. Deer are in the area but rarely do we see them. Take your camera.

Leslie Gulch attracts a certain type of person. Hardy would be one word. We encountered one elderly lady there one time that wore a t-shirt proclaiming her the Party Lizard. Giant colorful lizard on her shirt holding a bottle of Tequila. She on the other hand was packing a 5th of Jack Daniels. It was quite the night.

Yeah, that's the place, Leslie Gulch. We went in when the water was low and parked out on the flat, it rained that night. Barely made it back to the ramp in 4x. The road was just as bad, within a few miles the tires looked like balloons w/all the clay stuck to them. We had a heck of a time staying on the road, it was a treacherous few miles out of there. The road into Succor creek is pretty narrow in some spots and driving clay balloon tires was an adventure for sure. I almost forgot about that, thanks for jogging my memory. It can be an adventure back in there. That's where we saw the sheep too.

The last time I was in there they had improved the ramp, put up a nice bathroom and make it parky. Seemed like the road was better too.

Check here for reservoir level: Hydromet Pacific Northwest Region | Bureau of Reclamation

The superintendent at the dam takes care of the campground and cabins below the dam. Ask for Robert.
While you are there check out the museum. Peek behind the door and there are photos of the big browns on the bulletin board :)

Below the dam is trout.
In the reservoir Crappie, Bass (Big and small mouth), some catfish too.

715 acre feet is full. We are over 500k today.

I did a two day fly fishing trip from Portland in May of 2012. The Owyhee is best fished early in the season, as the dam release is reduced as the summer progresses and the already small river gets even smaller.

If you're looking for brownies, fish below the dam. From the dam to admit ten miles down is prime brownie fishing. You can wage most of that section of river, it's really shallow. Keep in mind, that water will frigid in May.

The first morning we fished right below the dam, and I'm standing on the edge watching the river bubbling with fish, the water looks like it's boiling. I couldn't see a hatch, so I tried a few flies.... nothing.... tried a different fly... nothing... tried a different fly.... nothing....

Still watching the fish rising every few seconds, I put my face down at Easter level to figure out what they're hitting. It takes a few minutes, then the smallest midge I've ever seen floats by, and it dawns on me that they're hitting microscopic midges.

I tie the smallest midge, and I toss my fly to the center of the boiling mass of fish. Fish on! I quickly palm him in on my 5wt. I toss again, strike! He gets within reach and breaks free, barbless hooks. Two more casts, strike! He breaks my fly off. My one and only microscopic midge was gone.

I had around 75 flies with me on that trip, but I was planning on hitting up the local fly shop. Guess what, the closest shop is Boise. Plan ahead and bring lots of flies. Better yet, talk to a reputable shop before leaving. I used Deschutes river flu shop in Maupin.

Unlike the Metolius, the water is dark brown, so you don't have to worry about light leader.

I'm actually going to be out there in May fishing with my almost unused Winston 4wt that I had purchased prior to moving to Hawaii. I plan on teaching my dad to fly fish.

Good luck! Fish on!

To be honest, i'm pretty fond of John at Deschutes Canyon Fly Shop, smaller shop. Stop by his place if ya ever need some real advice. Just saying, he will sell ya what works if he has any. The other shop sells you what they have a bunch of... they also "guide for tiger woods" (like I really care)...

I did a two day fly fishing trip from Portland in May of 2012. The Owyhee is best fished early in the season, as the dam release is reduced as the summer progresses and the already small river gets even smaller.

If you're looking for brownies, fish below the dam. From the dam to admit ten miles down is prime brownie fishing. You can wage most of that section of river, it's really shallow. Keep in mind, that water will frigid in May.

The first morning we fished right below the dam, and I'm standing on the edge watching the river bubbling with fish, the water looks like it's boiling. I couldn't see a hatch, so I tried a few flies.... nothing.... tried a different fly... nothing... tried a different fly.... nothing....

Still watching the fish rising every few seconds, I put my face down at Easter level to figure out what they're hitting. It takes a few minutes, then the smallest midge I've ever seen floats by, and it dawns on me that they're hitting microscopic midges.

I tie the smallest midge, and I toss my fly to the center of the boiling mass of fish. Fish on! I quickly palm him in on my 5wt. I toss again, strike! He gets within reach and breaks free, barbless hooks. Two more casts, strike! He breaks my fly off. My one and only microscopic midge was gone.

I had around 75 flies with me on that trip, but I was planning on hitting up the local fly shop. Guess what, the closest shop is Boise. Plan ahead and bring lots of flies. Better yet, talk to a reputable shop before leaving. I used Deschutes river flu shop in Maupin.

Unlike the Metolius, the water is dark brown, so you don't have to worry about light leader.

I'm actually going to be out there in May fishing with my almost unused Winston 4wt that I had purchased prior to moving to Hawaii. I plan on teaching my dad to fly fish.

Good luck! Fish on!
BTW GOOD ADVICE!
It can be a small game out there too! Small blue copper johns are good nymphs in desert streams (18-22 small). Midges are a big thing on streams prone to drought!

I'll add. May ,June is probably your best months for both the river and the lake. Lake temp is up near or above 55 degrees putting the bass and crappie in shallower waters. EVERYONE fishes for browns below the dam , not me , I fish the rainbows in the same water. Bait is allowed and Ive slayed many 3 to 4 lb rainbows drifting a nightcrawler or crawdad tail thru pockets right next to guys flyfishing for browns. Used to live just 25 miles or so from the dam in jaimeson oregon for 5 years 1998 thru 2003. In the same area is also pole creek resevoir. Small lake but the locals catch ALOT of 18 to 26 inch rainbows out of it some years, malhuer resevoir if snow pack and rain have been good a few years in a row can have fabulous rainbow fishing as well, and dont overlook little Murry resevoir at the top of eldorado pass between ironside and vale on the johnday hiway. Caught plenty of limits of 13 to 18 bows from there . Never had a really good day at bully crk resevoir but ive seen others do well there occasionally. And I second succor creek and leslie gulch, a beautiful drive that can get a little western in a hurry. If you got a boat and put in near the state park on owyhee resevoir and go after crappie try the dry gulch arm. It seems to always produce when you cant find them elsewhere.

Last Edited:
Leslie Gulch is a pretty big drainage that extends from the Mahogany Mountains down to the reservoir. One time a couple of old friends of mine, Don and Herbie, were at the Gulch and decided to camp on the little flat sandy area next to the boat ramp instead of the campground. Water level was down pretty low and they didn't feel like walking back and forth through the heat. They get all drunked up on home made wine...all part of the Gulch experience according to them, and end up napping in the heat of the day from the afternoon drunk, getting ready for the serious drinking to come that evening.

They get woke up by the BLM officers that work in the area. "You need to get off this sand bar...there is a flash flood headed your way." Bright sunshine at the Gulch, so they don't take it seriously. You can image how a couple of drunks would react in a situation like this. BLM guys end up loading what they can into the camper on the back of the truck, including Don and Herbie, and driving it off the sand bar up onto the boat ramp. Within minutes a two foot high wall of water floods down across the sand bar, washing their lawn chairs and a couple of filleting buckets into the reservoir. Seems a rather large thunder storm had hit earlier in the day on the mountains behind them.

The road was a mess. Washed out in places and as described above, a nasty mess of sticky clay. They fished their lawn chairs out of the reservoir and were stuck there for two or three days until the road dried out. But they were well stocked with wine, so the ordeal wasn't even an inconvenience to them. Just more days of fishing and having fun.

Both of these dear friends have since passed, but I have lots of fond memories of their escapades and stories they told around a campfire.

A place I too want to try albeit a long way from home
I did not read all the post so hope this isn't redundant but you may want to catch and release. (I usually do anyway)
I have not fished it however received the do not eat admonition with the explanation that it has one of the highest level of Mercury concentration (and some other nasty stuff) in the entire state. (The reservoir fish any way don't know about the river fish) Nonetheless the fishing is supposed to be excellent and I still intend to pursue it.
Chronically addicted fishing retirees claim its not so harmful for old folk if not consuming many or regularly??

I think I would like to do a little metal detecting at that homestead always find something cool at old home steads

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads