Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Oregon/Washington off-roading (overland style)

Reactions
do you guys and gals have any recommendations for off-roading locations for “overlanding” style 4x4’s?

I’d like to find some new locations to take my vehicle.

I love car camping and getting out to places that only small amounts of people get to see. Bonus points if there’s good shooting along the way!

I’m using a Lexus gx470 with 2” lift, sliders, and 33’s.

(I’m trying to avoid posting on off-road sites... topics always turn into pissing matches about tire sizes over there)

The attached pictures are from when @joe_link and I went out a while back.

AAF91B99-1281-4B0E-9BAF-9AFC1CCE5185.jpeg

61DDC20F-FFCE-4E4A-B663-AC95D7E2F8B8.jpeg

Last edited:

bbbass

Reactions
Over here many of the backcountry roads are rough enough to be just like offroading. And one should give it a go before the latest USFS Forest Management Travel Plan has another 300,000 miles closed off.

Most anywhere in the coastal range, from Astoria on south.
You can find some pretty remote spots along the Kilchis River.
Look at Siuslaw NF from Newport on South. NF Rd 53. Bring a chain saw.

Oregon Back Country Discovery - Oregon Back Country Discovery.

I have done a few of these routes. Very fun! 2013 JK with a little lift, 35's, lockers. Nothing is really too challenging, but the views are spectacular. You can go days without seeing another soul. Used to have a homemade adventure trailer with a roof top tent on it. I could carry a couple of kayaks as well.

bbbass

Reactions
There's a trail on the top of the ridge between Brookings and Gold Beach that is nice. Great views! It's just a short hop tho.

Most anyplace in SE OR. Lots of wild country there! Pronghorns too.

OP
Weebs
Reactions

I have done a few of these routes. Very fun! 2013 JK with a little lift, 35's, lockers. Nothing is really too challenging, but the views are spectacular. You can go days without seeing another soul. Used to have a homemade adventure trailer with a roof top tent on it. I could carry a couple of kayaks as well.
I love this idea. I've done the full walla walla to lakeview trip on a motorcycle. I definitely want to check it out in a car.

Thanks!

OP
Weebs
Reactions

Ura-Ki

Reactions
The whole south east corner of Oregon is wide open to explore! Not sure about road access, or any of the limits ( other then the refuges) but it's worth checking into! I fly it all the time, and have never had issue! Raises some eyebrows when you land on the road in a small town and taxi to the gas pumps to get fuel and a snack!

Reactions

Get the maps and do these trails. Lots of fun!

Ura-Ki

Reactions
Another fun adventure is the Southern Oregon Coast! I was amazed at how little of the coast is actually accessible to the public via road, vs some other means! Wife and I love camping around the Coos Bay and Bandon areas, No roads or hiking trails we could find, and not a single soul in sight! We flew in and landed right on the beach and had a most excellent time of it!

MattBG

Reactions
Browns Camp, is where I've been. Lots of trails that are ranked from Easy to Hard (green, blue, black). I usually stick to blues, as I need to drive my 4Runner home.

Reactions
Another fun adventure is the Southern Oregon Coast! I was amazed at how little of the coast is actually accessible to the public via road, vs some other means! Wife and I love camping around the Coos Bay and Bandon areas, No roads or hiking trails we could find, and not a single soul in sight! We flew in and landed right on the beach and had a most excellent time of it!
I did a yearly flyin to the Alvord plaja, usually timed to watch the perseids meteor shower for last few years. Kinda want to drive down there sometime. that’s also a pretty and desolate place plus ripping across the plaja in a a car, or over it at 100ft agl, never gets old

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Gooseneck Road
    4.00 star(s)
    Very popular service road with some unmarked logging roads that branch off of the main. Relatively cleaned up from what we saw. I just wish that...
    • Benzdriver81
  • Liberty Safes of Oregon
    5.00 star(s)
    I have now purchased 2 Safe’s and constantly recommend people go here. You get better quality than the other liberty safes made for places like...
    • Motojohonda
  • Supporting Vendor Lucky Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    Just dropped by today to pick up a rifle … this is what a gun store should be! None of the crotchety bluster and BS that so many other gun stores...
    • DLS
  • Supporting Vendor J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    I'll put in a good word for J&B Firearms Sales in Beaverton, on Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy (across the street from KFC and BiMart). I've always had...
    • RVNvet
  • Seattle Rifle & Pistol Association
    5.00 star(s)
    This is a members only club. They have had and have some issues that cause membership to fluctuate a bit. There are more rules than shooting in...
    • coltemp

Staff online