JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Question - On the website Nutty Knutson's Church I see this pushing for a fundraiser to get petitioners and to support their effort

1655342687091.png

Since this is a use of the Church's official resources to raise money and support for a political purpose does this not violate the law that gives them tax exempt status? I know we have been down this path before and the SoS would never touch someone pushing the left agenda but most wanted to know if I was correct on this.

Question - On the website Nutty Knutson's Church I see this pushing for a fundraiser to get petitioners and to support their effort

View attachment 1222185

Since this is a use of the Church's official resources to raise money and support for a political purpose does this not violate the law that gives them tax exempt status? I know we have been down this path before and the SoS would never touch someone pushing the left agenda but most wanted to know if I was correct on this.
That rule doesn't appear to apply to issues. If they were doing it to support or defeat a candidate then it would be a problem.

Most people don't know one way or the other, so they believe what anyone tells them. "Guns are bad, sign here". We have a website with good counter arguments and some flyers that need to be passed out at events where paid signature gatherers will be.

www.dontsignit.com

Please send me a direct message if you can help with the flyers.

Last Saturday after shooting a few rounds of Trap at Portland Gun Club I went to a farmer's market in nearby Gresham. I walked past two different ballot measure canvassers asking to sign for "Gun Safety."

Of course I replied: "Absolutely not." I've no way to know for sure but it seemed as though they had heard my tone and tenor before.

I'm semi-retired and still work a day or two per week up at OHSU. I encountered another ballot signature person for "Gun Safety" on campus today.

I can only imagine who's funding all of the ballot signature people,...
Can you help distribute some flyers countering their story?

drop me a private message. I will bring you some flyers. They will help dissuade the "don't know much" types. They also link to a website.

Last Edited:
I'm free so few days. I had thought that I could at least distribute some at my gun club but then it occured to me that I would be preaching to the choir,....

Maybe not.

I just cannot think of where I would distribute.

Perhaps gun shops just reminding people to vote?

I'm free so few days. I had thought that I could at least distribute some at my gun club but then it occured to me that I would be preaching to the choir,....

Maybe not.

I just cannot think of where I would distribute.

Perhaps gun shops just reminding people to vote?
I want to stop this nonsense before it goes on the ballot.

Pass them out to people at public weekend events where people congregate. That is where the signature-gatherers will be.
Put them on windshields in parking lots with many cars. That can be malls and it can be those same events where people gather.

Gun shops: Stack some and have the staff there ask people to take some and do the same as I just said above.
Gun club: Same thing.

Right now I have 400 of these sitting here I already printed. I can get more printed if I get more volunteers.

I can meet you tonight with some.

Speaking of current climate.

The "blame guns" people succeed because reporters aren't clever enough to recognize that things that would reduce spree shooters and street violence are not being done.

Israel had terrorist attacks on their schools. They hardened the school buildings and taught combat shooting skills to staff who volunteered to take the lessons. Since they did that, they have had only two school shootings. That was 1974. Will we do that? No. Morons vaguely whine about "armed camps" being bad for children, so they prefer teaching the children to be like edible rabbits with wolves around.

Street crime? They don't enforce existing laws and they say that putting criminals in jail is evil. And of course they are defunding police and treating the cops like the crooks they are protecting.

But it's all guns to blame, right?

Why are so few people making these arguments out loud?

Peer pressure. At school, in the press room, at family gatherings. If you defend gun rights, you hate little children and want more killings. End of discussion, we hate you now. That's why people remain silent when they would speak up if it was some other right being crushed.

Still, if there is any chance they get the signatures, that presents us a problem. Instead of talking only to each other, we need to convince people who don't know much one way or the other that it is a bad idea and DO NOT SIGN.

You can also expect the Oregon state "officials" to be rather lenient on signatures and counts if they obey the wishes of the Oregon state "leadership".

I have a web site here www.dontsignit.com

and some flyers I need help passing out. Please private-mail me and I can bring you some. Please link others to my website.

Still, if there is any chance they get the signatures, that presents us a problem. Instead of talking only to each other, we need to convince people who don't know much one way or the other that it is a bad idea and DO NOT SIGN.

You can also expect the Oregon state "officials" to be rather lenient on signatures and counts if they obey the wishes of the Oregon state "leadership".

I have a web site here www.dontsignit.com

and some flyers I need help passing out. Please private-mail me and I can bring you some. Please link others to my website.

I think this is a good approach. Ultimately, the issue with gun violence originates from one city in Oregon primarily. That is Portland. My argument is that other cities and counties in Oregon don't have the laundry list of violent crime or property theft that Portland does. In reality the debate of " gun violence" falls back on the poor Leadership of Portland city officials and their " defund the police" movement.

Oregon has a long tradition of 2nd amendment rights and outdoorsman ship going back to the Pioneer days and prior. The PNW was a major Hudson bay trading post also.

Because of a few "bad apples" in Portland, the rest of the state will be punished? I think not. Again, the root cause analysis is all signs point back to Portland. City leaders should be discharged of their duties. Wishful thinking, but I think blame is deserved where its due. The rest of Oregon does NOT have the same issues

I think that's the approach we should be taking to gather support tbh. People do not collectively care about " facts" but rather blaming and sensationalism.

Last Edited:
Dear Amleth,

THE LEVO 200 CHALLENGE CLUB: 200 people x 200 signatures x 2 weeks = 40,000 signatures

LEVO has 70,000 signatures right now. We need 140,000 signatures by July 8 to ensure we have enough to qualify for the November ballot.
Will you commit to being one of 200 volunteers who gather 200 new signatures in the next 2 weeks (by July 1)?
We understand that not everyone can do this, but out of our 1400 volunteer Circulators (signature gatherers), we are looking for 200 who can accept the LEVO 200 Challenge!
If you can be one of the 200 people who accept the challenge to gather 200 signatures by July 1, please do the following:
Here are the details:
  • The LEVO 200 Challenge signatures must be collected before July 1 at midnight.
  • Previous signatures already turned in don't count toward the LEVO 200 Challenge. (This is clarification of our previous message)
  • Be sure to let us know you are part of the LEVO 200 Challenge!
We are excited about this! If you can, please join the LEVO 200 Challenge and let's get IP 17 on the ballot!
Thank you so much for your dedication to making all Oregonians safer. And a special thanks to the very creative LEVO volunteers, Eunice and Gerhard for this great idea!

Dear Amleth,

Greetings to you on this beautiful day in the Northwest.

We are in our weekly rhythm as we approach July 8 and the submission of 140,000 signatures to the Secretary of State's office to achieve the needed 112,080 valid signatures. Each week up to that date we will have our Tuesday Volunteer Zoom Call (6:30-7:15 pm) with the latest updates. Every Wednesday the entire network will receive an update with the same information.

Then each Thursday from 11:00 to 11:30 am we will have the Press Briefing at Augustana Lutheran Church in Portland, with the latest numbers and developments and the path toward the ballot. It will be livestreamed (LINK). See below for the press release we sent out to invite the press to the briefing.

So here is the latest:

• By tomorrow we will have 70,000 signatures in hand.
  • Signature sheets worth 200,000 signatures are at play in every county in Oregon.
  • All Circulators (signature gatherers) are asked to turn in signatures at the end and beginning of each week.
  • We have over 1400 volunteer Circulators at work, with about 100 volunteers in the office working in shifts.
  • We have 50 paid Circulators out every day around the state.
  • We are moving into the national spotlight with last Friday's AP article and as the only state with legislation like this.
  • We have $83,000 in our account, almost all from individuals, with another $50,000 pledged to take care of printing, mailing, part time field team staffing and other costs, with the goal of another $200,000 over the next few weeks.
  • One of our volunteers, Linda, had a great idea: if 100 of us would give $1000 each, we would be halfway there. Of course, given the income range of all our volunteers and supporters, any amount is the right amount! DONATE
  • We are beginning conversations with legislators for sponsors for our IP 18 legislation to fast track in the 2023 legislative session.
  • Endorsements are coming from all directions and are being added to the lists on the website (Organizational Endorsements) (Personal Endorsements)
  • We are in primetime, with summer events around the state, including Juneteenth and Pride events this coming weekend.
Keep bringing others into the movement! This is the most important work we can do for the wellbeing of every child and teen.

As always, we are thankful for each of you.

On behalf of the entire Lift Every Voice Oregon team,

Chief Petitioners,

Rev. Dr. W. J . Mark Knutson
LEVO Chair, Augustana Lutheran Church

Marilyn Keller
Jazz Hall of Fame Vocalist

Rabbi Michael Cahana
Senior Rabbi, Congregation Beth Israel

What follows is the press release for tomorrow that every station has on their assignment board:

What: Lift Every Voice Oregon Weekly Press Briefing with IP 17 Update and IP 18 Strategy
When: 11:00 a.m. Thursday, June 16, 2022
Where: Augustana Lutheran Church, 2710 NE 14th Ave., Portland, Oregon
Contact: Rev. Dr. W. J. Mark Knutson, Chair, Lift Every Voice Oregon
On Thursday, June 16 at 11:00 a.m., Lift Every Voice Oregon will hold its weekly 30-minute Press Briefing with updates on the Signature Gathering by hundreds across the state to place IP 17 on the November ballot in Oregon and tee up IP 18 for the 2023 Legislative Session. Updates on signatures, number of volunteers and new endorsements will be shared.
The Press Briefing will also include some important information from national gun violence researcher and expert Devin Hughes, President of GVPedia, based in Oklahoma.
IP 17 would ban large capacity magazines over 10 rounds, calls for a permit (license) to purchase any gun, and complete background checks; IP 18 would ban the future sale of assault style weapons and call for the registration of those already owned and a limit on their use to firing ranges and one's own property.
IP 17 and IP 18 are the only legislation of this type currently at play in the nation for real action.

Dear Amleth,

THE LEVO 200 CHALLENGE CLUB: 200 people x 200 signatures x 2 weeks = 40,000 signatures

LEVO has 70,000 signatures right now. We need 140,000 signatures by July 8 to ensure we have enough to qualify for the November ballot.
Will you commit to being one of 200 volunteers who gather 200 new signatures in the next 2 weeks (by July 1)?
We understand that not everyone can do this, but out of our 1400 volunteer Circulators (signature gatherers), we are looking for 200 who can accept the LEVO 200 Challenge!
If you can be one of the 200 people who accept the challenge to gather 200 signatures by July 1, please do the following:
Here are the details:
  • The LEVO 200 Challenge signatures must be collected before July 1 at midnight.
  • Previous signatures already turned in don't count toward the LEVO 200 Challenge. (This is clarification of our previous message)
  • Be sure to let us know you are part of the LEVO 200 Challenge!
We are excited about this! If you can, please join the LEVO 200 Challenge and let's get IP 17 on the ballot!
Thank you so much for your dedication to making all Oregonians safer. And a special thanks to the very creative LEVO volunteers, Eunice and Gerhard for this great idea!
A for effort. They would have had more success if they started these efforts last year. Hope they fail.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top