Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Oregon CCW Question: World Trade Center Event carry

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by addiction, Oct 9, 2011.

1. addiction

addiction Monroe Wa Active Member

I am going o be attending an event at the World Trade Center in Portland, I have an Oregon CHL, so I hope to carry there.

Are there any restrictions on the Oregon carry laws that would prevent me from carrying at the WTC during an event?

thanks

2. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

Have you contacted the host of the event with your concern? But in general if it is not posted it is not a problem.

3. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

You're good to go as far as being legal. As for the owner/host... don't ask don't tell. There are no "no weapons" signs posted there that I ever saw, but if you "ask" of course they will say "No" even though the issue was never addressed.

In short... "Don't start none, won't be none".

4. CharonPDX

CharonPDX Portland, OR Active Member

I work across the street from WTC. I've had a few events over there (our company uses their conference rooms for meetings/training classes often.) I've never seen anything mentioning no weapons, so I've carried there.

One thing to remember: It's called "World Trade Center", but it has no "official" capacity in anything. There are no government agencies based there, it has no status as a government/international building. It's just a title.

5. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

Never seen any metal detectors or enountered any searches there. gtg
    My visits were all related to auto/motorcycle-shows though. So if Obama is visiting or something security will probably be a lot tighter.

6. gearchecker

gearchecker Kootenai County, Idaho Member

Are there any restrictions in Oregon for carrying in a venue with a large crowd present?
    Regards,
    Gearchecker

7. pchewn

pchewn Beaverton Oregon USA Well-Known Member

No, there are not.

8. gearchecker

Tnx,
    I just learned something new. I'm originally from Michigan and it's still difficult to get a grasp on all these laws. I've never been to Oregon so I haven't been too concerned with the laws there yet. In Michigan it's unlawful (You've got to appreciate the verbiage) to carry a firearm into any venue that has more than 2500 spectators/people present. One exception is a shopping mall or retail store, because the people are dispersed between different properties, and not limited to a single venue. I'm pretty sure I remember Idaho having a similar law, but it has to be a sporting event IIRC.

9. CharonPDX

Nope. Although if you're visiting Portland, you should note that Oregon does not honor any other state's CHL, and Portland bars loaded open carry to those without a CHL. So if you want to carry in Portland, you either need to carry unloaded open (where unloaded means no loaded magazines on your person, either,) or have an Oregon CHL.

10. gearchecker

Hummmmmm,
    Open carry unloaded only, and unable to carry ammo at the same time.
    That makes about as much sense as a no gun zone sign being placed at a shooting range.

Does anybody there actually open carry with an empty gun? I've got to know what the answer to this question is.

I have considered getting my Oregon CHL pretty seriously. I'm just not sure when I'll get over there to get it.
    Gearchecker

11. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Here's the Portland City Code. They don't explicitly prohibit speedloaders.

14A.60.010 Possession of a Loaded Firearm in a Public Place.

12. CharonPDX

Correct. A loaded "magazine" is prohibited. You may carry loose ammunition plus a magazine, you may carry a revolver speedloader loaded, you may carry a "stripper clip" loaded. (For that SKS "pistol" you want to open carry...)

13. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Yeah. I think a stripper clip is ok too but the fact they don't explicitly define a clip while prohibiting one worries and annoys me. I know I recklessly failed to have low expectations for Portland's firearm laws.

14. CharonPDX

The specifically state "magazine". Also, note that the magazine portion has never been tested in court - Oregon's constitution may not grant Portland permissions to ban loaded removable magazines, only loaded WEAPONS. A magazine has a pretty definite definition. (It is also defined in another state law, one that seems to imply that Portland cannot ban loaded removable magazines, too, although that part is what is unclear.)

15. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

Oregon will only issue out of state permits to residents of states that touch Oregon. ( Washington, Idaho, Nevada, and California) all other states are SOL.

16. addiction

addiction Monroe Wa Active Member

thanks to all for the info, I was there on Monday and it was an complete non-event carrying a gun, so it was perfect.

17. jvbutter

jvbutter Cornelius, Or Active Member

LOL.... now that would be a sight, Downtown Portland, sure to get some attention.

18. CharonPDX

A few years ago, someone strolled around downtown with a rifle of some sort strapped to his back. Police came, verified it was unloaded, and let him go on his way. (I think they kept an officer nearby, though. More to calm against public panic than for the sake of the carrier.)