JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'll be driving through Oregon without an Oregon carry license. I know (or believe) my WA and FL carry licenses are invalid. (I don't have time now to get a Oregon permit unless it's issued on the spot)

Ideally I can travel armed in some fashion but I suspect not. Can someone succinctly state or link to the Oregon law for transporting firearms.

Second question. I used to have an Oregon carry permit but let it lapse due to huge inconvenience of renewal. Will they issue on the spot or is it a lengthy wait? I am moving to Idaho and would like to get the Oregon permit again if it's not too inconvenient to get it traveling from WA to ID via OR.

If someone might succinctly explain the OR permit process that would be very helpful. THX

As retired L/E I say roll the dice and pull the trigger.. First, if you're not committing any crimes, you won't get stopped. 2nd, unless they search you or your car, who's gonna know? (say no to warrantless searches).
If you have to use it to protect yourself/family, let the courts decide...It's a misdemeanor and you will get it back.
Now, all that being said, obey the law! lol:rolleyes:

I'll be driving through Oregon without an Oregon carry license. I know (or believe) my WA and FL carry licenses are invalid.

Correct. Oregon does not recognize the permit of any other state.

Ideally I can travel armed in some fashion but I suspect not. Can someone succinctly state or link to the Oregon law for transporting firearms.

When traveling in a vehicle and if you do not have an Oregon CHL any handgun can not be both concealed and readily accessible to the person in the vehicle.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260...a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:

(a) Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;​

(b) Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle;​

(3) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section.

(4) (a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this subsection, a handgun is readily accessible within the meaning of this section if the handgun is within the passenger compartment of the vehicle.

(b) If a vehicle, other than a vehicle described in paragraph (c) of this subsection, has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:​

(A) The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and​

(B) The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unlocks with a key.​

Link ORS 166.250 - Unlawful possession of firearms - 2017 Oregon Revised Statutes

Some Oregon cities and Multnomah County have passed ordinances banning OPEN carry of firearms. Holders of Oregon CHLs are exempt from those city ordinances. So you could be cited for open carry in those cities, including in your car, if you do not have an Oregon CHL.

Firearms may be openly carried in cars without any license except where localities have made open carry illegal; however, an Oregon concealed handgun permit holder is exempt from all local open carry bans. To our knowledge, only the cities of Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence, and Multnomah County, have passed loaded firearms bans encompassing all public places.

Last Edited:
This is not legal advice and not to be taken as such:

The version of "keeping it visible" used to apply but there is now a patchwork of cities and counties that prohibit open carry (that includes ammo in magazines) without a license issued by the state.

I was/am a fan of non licensed open carry but as of the last couple years the patchwork of local ordinances and city rules made it rough to comply without a license.

I know this doesn't help you short-term, but since you say you're moving to Idaho, once you become a resident, check Independence Indoor Shooting's schedule in Meridian. The sheriff from Grant Co. comes a couple times a year to help issue OR permits to ID residents. As to short-term, before I had an OR permit, I followed the stuff @BSG 75 mentions.

After my wife let her OR permit lapse, she was able to renew it w/o jumping thru all the hoops and they gave her a paper copy until the actual license arrived weeks later. That's all I know. But she's an OR resident. Difference? IDK.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top