JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Every time I purchase a firearm since moving to Oregon some years ago I get delayed for several minutes waiting for a call back. Every single time! Looks like someone with the same name as me has a criminal record. This person died 15 years ago and has a different birthday and Social Security number and driver's license number from another state... but the Oregon State Police computer system is apparantly too stupid to tell the difference between me and a long-dead guy. It's a little embarrassing, and I warn the proprietor as a courtesy that there will be a call back. Anyone else have this problem? Anything to be done about it? I've lived in other states and NEVER had this problem.

Unique personal identification number is a program for those people who have reoccurring issues with misidentification. I have heard they are a pain to get, but once you do, it really helps.

I need to do the same thing. Research showed me today that there are two people here in Washington with the same first, middle, and last name as me. Just got my first "delay" and it's frustrating when you hold a CPL, and give your SS# and get a delay. The NICS computer is outdated and state workers that handle legal firearm purchases are stuck in an Xfiles basement and probably ignored about how many complaints they get about the system.. UPIN is my next step for sure. Just remember it is not personal, even law enforcement employees get the delay too, its hit and miss.

Sorry to hear your woes. For once I'm glad about my whack-a-doodle last name. In my native ethnic language (pre-Ellis island) it translates, "quarter mile from the bus stop".

Sorry to hear your woes. For once I'm glad about my whack-a-doodle last name. In my native ethnic language (pre-Ellis island) it translates, "quarter mile from the bus stop".

yeah - there are maybe half a dozen people in the USA with my first & last due to my family name being fairly unique. Then you add in my middle name (another family name) and nobody has that combo but me. So I have no problems - yet.

yeah - there are maybe half a dozen people in the USA with my first & last due to my family name being fairly unique. Then you add in my middle name (another family name) and nobody has that combo but me. So I have no problems - yet.

In basic training my poor drill Sgt just started calling me Alphabet. Drop and give me twenty. Then drop and give me the alphabet, Alphabet! Yes drill Sgt! Was that upper or lower case?
I enjoyed KP.

Every time I purchase a firearm since moving to Oregon some years ago I get delayed for several minutes waiting for a call back. Every single time! Looks like someone with the same name as me has a criminal record. This person died 15 years ago and has a different birthday and Social Security number and driver's license number from another state... but the Oregon State Police computer system is apparantly too stupid to tell the difference between me and a long-dead guy. It's a little embarrassing, and I warn the proprietor as a courtesy that there will be a call back. Anyone else have this problem? Anything to be done about it? I've lived in other states and NEVER had this problem.
You should apply for a UPIN (unique personal ID number )and get on with your life , what you'll need to do is put on your happy face and then call the ATF in your neck of the woods and ask them what the process is for applying for a UPIN not to be confused with a coupin have a great day

They need to make little cards gun guys can get that the store can just scan and have your record pop up.

I just wish there was a way "I" could check on the status of my "Delay" so I could know if the gun shop employees are just being too lazy to check on my status, or call me! Wishful/ impatient thinking...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top