JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Any time an officer makes a traffic stop they should be assuming that the car is stolen and the driver is armed. Once they make the initial verbal contact, they learn a lot more, and can adjust their approach based on the response of the driver, what kind of passengers are present (wife and kids vs. gangbangers with hostile attitudes, for instance), and other clues.

That said, sometimes the most innocent-seeming people turn out to be the most dangerous! :eek:

My experience is limited. I tend not to violate traffic laws. But I have been pulled over a couple of times while carrying in the last three decades.

In both cases I was armed and let the officer know I was armed and PRECISELY where the gun was located.

Both times the answer was: "Thanks for letting me know. Keep your hands away from the weapon and we're not going to have a problem."

Both times I got off with a warning, go figure.

There's always a jerk in every shift. That's the guy who will jack you up. Easy answer? Don't violate traffic laws and it won't be an issue.

My experience is limited. I tend not to violate traffic laws. But I have been pulled over a couple of times while carrying in the last three decades.

In both cases I was armed and let the officer know I was armed and PRECISELY where the gun was located.

Both times the answer was: "Thanks for letting me know. Keep your hands away from the weapon and we're not going to have a problem."

Both times I got off with a warning, go figure.

There's always a jerk in every shift. That's the guy who will jack you up. Easy answer? Don't violate traffic laws and it won't be an issue.

Did I mention, DON'T VIOLATE TRAFFIC LAWS. Speed limits are not a "suggestion." Stop lights are not a "gentle reminder." RIGHT OF WAYS are not "for the other guy."

I have a grand total of three moving violations in 35 years of driving. two of those before I turned 22. It's really easy to not get pulled over. Slow the Hell down and relax. You'll get there when you get there. and save yourself a bundle in insurance costs along the way. /rant

Did I mention, DON'T VIOLATE TRAFFIC LAWS. Speed limits are not a "suggestion." Stop lights are not a "gentle reminder." RIGHT OF WAYS are not "for the other guy."

I have a grand total of three moving violations in 35 years of driving, two of those before I turned 22. It's really easy to not get pulled over. Slow the Hell down and relax. You'll get there when you get there. and save yourself a bundle in insurance costs along the way. /rant/QUOTE]

I've had probably more than 20 tickets in almost 50 years. All but two before I was 20. I've also had a fairly well rounded exposure to LE in other regards. Just wanted to mention, my sister was put in a coma and later died because an officer was illegally driving down a main street of town about 80+mph, not on a call and only had his rear facing amber flashers operating. That was proven in court not just an opinion. It cost the department seven figures and I lost a sister and three young children lost their mom.

Just wanted to mention,"LAWS," are for all of us. No one is above the law. Civil Rights are also non-negotiable. LE are us. There are the same percentage of bad guys in their ranks as in the general population.

Personally, I've faced the mostly good and a few of the bad in my fairly long lifetime. I've even been the enforcer of laws once or twice.

Yet, I see every single officer I meet as a good one until I am shown my error. It's always a two way street. I always hope they see me the same way, however cauciously for obvious reasons.

Yes it is a "courtesy" to hand the LEO who stops you your CCL along with your DL but Oregon law says you don't have to. I work for Washington County and have asked numerous LEO's from deputy to Sgt. and they all said that they don't really want your CCL handed over because it is one more piece of paper that they have to keep track of while checking you out. Remember, they are out side in the elements and the rain or wind could ruin your CCL. They all have said that they approach every pull over with the heightened awareness that the driver or occupants are armed. Once they run your DL they will know if you have CCL or not.

Don't drive in a way that will bring attention to yourself and remember that one alcoholic drink is enough to impair your reaction time ever so slightly. Don't get pulled over with alcohol on your breath while carry concealed, that is a sure way of loosing your CCL.

Last Edited:
I have had several interactions with the local officers, nothing to do with breaking the law, however they ran my id, asked a bunch of questions. Never asked for my CHL or about the Colt .357 with 6 in barrel in my shoulder holster under my jacket. They wonder why a person is running around in a field or on a country road in the middle of the night. New cop meets local farmer. Sometime a cup of coffee, a couple of story's and back to work for both of us.

My CCL is enclosed in plastic and is impervious to the weather just like my drivers license. No matter, it will stay in an inconspicuous part of my wallet unless asked for.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top