JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There have been discussions on this here before but I never got a clear answer if the CHL notification is tied to the license plate or to the drivers license. I asked the Washington County Sheriffs office and here is their reply. I thought I would share it. I have to give them credit, they answered my email in 24 hours.

My email question to them:

Subject:CHL notification when stopped by LEO.
My question is: I have been told that when an officer stops you when driving that they are advised by dispatch if you have a CHL. My wife's and son's cars are registered in my name. They do not have an CHL, only I do. Is the CHL notification linked to the license plate/registered owner of the vehicle or is it linked to the driver license of the operator of the vehicle? The reason for my question is if it is linked to the license plate my wife and son need to be aware that the officer may have been advised by dispatch that they may be carrying a firearm and need to be extra careful and keep their hands visible on the steering wheel.
Thank you.
Gary xxxxxx

Their answer:

Good Morning Gary,
These are good questions. The CHL information is contained within the law enforcement data system. When an officer makes a traffic stop they will run the car license plate and get back information such as registration and status. This will return vehicle information and report if the car is stolen. The officer might then request the information on the registered owner, if the car is registered to you then they will have the information for you including; wants, warrants and CHL information. However, they do not know who the driver of the vehicle is until they request the drivers license from the driver. It is a courtesy to give the officer your CHL along with the DL. For officer safety and your safety the officer may ask if you have a firearm in the vehicle and it's location. The officer will give you instructions regarding where to keep your hands if the firearm is in the vehicle. If you are not the driver and one of your family is driving the vehicle, make sure that you have not left a firearm in the car. Unfortunately, many people keep unsecured firearms in their car which is a huge safety risk. Officers usually approach every car as though there might be a weapon, drivers should follow the officers instructions during the stop. Officers realize that CHL holders are the citizens who have meant all the qualifications to carry and are doing so legally.
Stay Safe and feel free to call if you have any additional questions.
Sincerely,
Paige Smith
Concealed Handgun Licensing Unit Supervisor

WashingtonCounty Sheriff's Office
Phone: (503) 846-2521
215 SW Adams Ave, MS-32
Hillsboro, OR97123

"For officer safety and your safety the officer may ask if you"...

I always thought it was funny seeing the Police on TV tell someone they are not under arrest, however, for their safety they need to be handcuffed. As in, the LEO is concerned for HIS safety and if the citizen does not comply, it will immediately become VERY unsafe for them, so cuffing is the only way to keep them safe from a beatdown :)

Yep, that is TV for ya. The Washington County Sheriff is pro concealed carry and pro 2nd Amendment. He refused to give the media a list of CHL holders and fought them off over it. He won. Portland could learn something from him.

Usually people are only cuffed and not under arrest (yet) because they are getting froggy or the LEO has a good idea they have done something illegal and want to keep that person from resisting or running

I've been pulled over a couple times while having a CHL and they never seemed to know been asked if I had any weapons in the car to which I answered yes and then gave them my CHL and they just asked where they were and asked me not to reach for them. Encounters were both pleasent and the officers gave me no issues or attitudes and didn't give me a ticket either!
But I'm always happy and show them respect. I have family and friends that are LEOs so I give them nothing but respect.

People can have a CCW yet not carry all the time. Once they ask you if you are carrying a gun and you say yes it gives a paper trail that you are "known to carry a gun". It's a history on you to be used later if you get into some difficulty like family problems or a divorce.

People can have a CCW yet not carry all the time. Once they ask you if you are carrying a gun and you say yes it gives a paper trail that you are "known to carry a gun". It's a history on you to be used later if you get into some difficulty like family problems or a divorce.
No it isn't. There is no record kept of this what-so-ever from a routine traffic stop.

Please do yourself and the officer a favor and hand them your permit, along with your license.
And please, don't try any 'mind games' with them by withholding or skewing the facts.

My take is based on traveling 40-50k a year in Oregon & Washington.

What this guy said:
"No it isn't. There is no record kept of this what-so-ever from a routine traffic stop."

A certain degree of paranoia is healthy and prudent. Fabricating a convoluted series of events where a simple verbal question honestly answered results in "a history on you to be used later" may well serve to make one feel he is being protectively careful and knowledgeable of law enforcement practices, but it is in truth a waste of time and energy toward a "threat" that simply doesn't exist: a drain of time and energy better spent toward the real threats that can manifest from authority figures.

What this guy said:
"No it isn't. There is no record kept of this what-so-ever from a routine traffic stop."

A certain degree of paranoia is healthy and prudent. Fabricating a convoluted series of events where a simple verbal question honestly answered results in "a history on you to be used later" may well serve to make one feel he is being protectively careful and knowledgeable of law enforcement practices, but it is in truth a waste of time and energy toward a "threat" that simply doesn't exist: a drain of time and energy better spent toward the real threats that can manifest from authority figures.

You are right, no threat here so move along folkes:D Funny how we are both talking about the same people and the threat they can become isn't it.o_O

I was stopped for suspected speeding in Clackamas Co.
I got my wallet out and asked my wife to get the reg and ins.
Kept my hands in view as the deputy approached.
Was informed I was clocked 15mph over the limit
and could I please provide my driver's license, reg, and proof of ins.
I handed over my DL, reg, and ins, exposing my CC to the deputy's view.
He asked if I was carrying and I affirmed on my right hip IWB.
He said "you keep yours concealed, I'll keep mine concealed"
I said "Yes sir", he went back to his cruiser to run a WW.
Came back and said "slow down, have a nice day".

Some time ago, when I was living in Eugene / Springfield my friends and I were out shooting all day. On the way home we were pulled over because the driver failed to use his signal when changing lanes. There were 4 of us in the 4 door pickup. The trooper came up and he asked for the drivers ID. He stated "Just so you know Sir, we have guns in the truck." The Trooper asked if we had CCL and we all said "yes" and handed them over.

He asked "Where is the gun?" The driver said "On my hip" I said "Mine too" the other two said the same thing. Then I said "there's some under the seat, too." the driver said "and two more rifles behind the back seat" The guy behind me said "I have two more here between my feet on the floorboard". The Driver said "Probably 4 more, or so, under the canopy in the back".

The Trooper smiled and walked away, came back warned the driver on proper use of a signal and said "be safe guys". Never did ask why we had them.

I got a ticket one time from a WA County Deputy. We were in a parking lot and he saw my gun in my glove box. It was pretty low key. "You have your license to have that in there?" "Yes sir." "alright, well don't reach for it or we'll both have a bubblegumty day; now on to this ticket..."

You are right, no threat here so move along folkes:D Funny how we are both talking about the same people and the threat they can become isn't it.o_O

Precisely. (Given that your reply is sincere at face value.) Smiley icons however may indicate a level of sarcasm delivered at a level that required smiley icons to indicate it.

Just as your concealed weapon is absolutely no threat to any fellow peaceful citizen, though in a fabricated convoluted series of events in someone's mind it could become one. Just as a sleeping rattlesnake well off the trail is absolutely no threat unless we fabricate a convoluted scenario whereby we stumble and fall on it. Both creatures are in someone's creative mind dangerous. Both creatures are in reality harmless.

Dealing in reality however, and what is known to be truthful and factual from everyday (and other, more specifically directed) experience, if during the course of a routine traffic stop one answers a police officer truthfully about whether or not one is carrying a weapon, NEVER will this truthful answer be a "history on you to be used later", or a "paper trail that you are 'known to carry a gun' ". These conclusions are from the realm of fantasy.

Deliver falsehood in response to that question however, and if your falsehood is somehow discovered (you are armed when you answered you weren't), and you will discover quite a new reality, in which you will have no time or energy to fantasize.

Some time ago, when I was living in Eugene / Springfield my friends and I were out shooting all day. On the way home we were pulled over because the driver failed to use his signal when changing lanes. There were 4 of us in the 4 door pickup. The trooper came up and he asked for the drivers ID. He stated "Just so you know Sir, we have guns in the truck." The Trooper asked if we had CCL and we all said "yes" and handed them over.

He asked "Where is the gun?" The driver said "On my hip" I said "Mine too" the other two said the same thing. Then I said "there's some under the seat, too." the driver said "and two more rifles behind the back seat" The guy behind me said "I have two more here between my feet on the floorboard". The Driver said "Probably 4 more, or so, under the canopy in the back".

The Trooper smiled and walked away, came back warned the driver on proper use of a signal and said "be safe guys". Never did ask why we had them.

The only correct answer to "why do you have all these guns" is, "We was out lookin' for Bigfoot!"

I've been stopped several times, and I don't tell and only twice have I been asked. The first time I was asked, I wasn't armed. The second time I was armed, and told the officer so. His reply? "Outstanding! You have a good night." The last one was a Hillsboro cop at about 01:00 in the morning.

I do have veteran plates. That might help. Not sure.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top