JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I did a ride along with a Washington County Sheriffs deputy a few months ago. CHL Holder warning along with a ton more information of the registered owner shows up when they run the plate. I asked the Deputy if he would expect the driver to produce the CHL upon contact. He said it's the courteous thing to do, but not required by law. He also said that he treats every stop as if the driver is armed, CHL or not. He added that if nothing else, a CHL shows the person put in the effort to do the class and background check and likely not a bad person. That particular deputy was also a pro-2nd amendment guy.

I recommend the ride along experience to anyone. It is quite informative and puts you on the other side for a shift. The WA county sheriffs office website has information on how to request a ride along.

On a side/unrelated note, they have a number of job openings for those interested in LE career.

I got pulled over for speeding (which I was) while coming home from Monday night Bullseye shooting. My target pistol was in its case, unloaded, on the back seat, and I was carrying (legally concealed) my 9mm.

When the officer approached, I kept both hands on the wheel. When she asked for my dl, I informed her I had a concealed weapon, on the same side as my wallet in my back pocket. She thanked me and just watched as I pulled my wallet out.

She gave me a verbal warning about speeding and let me go. I understand the prolonged debate about whether to mention carrying or not. Do or don't do, what feels right for you. I just happen to respect LEO's for doing the tough job they do, and consider it a courtesy I choose to extend to them. Opinions vary, of course.

Don't understand why in the someone would feel this is necessary. Think we should also hand over pilots license, credit cards, club memberships, detailed inventory of furniture in our homes, or pictures of the grand kids? Not advocating lying or playing any smart azz games with police. Just don't see why people feel that it's necessary to add information when the question isn't asked.

I can see how it could be interpreted as wanting to be known as a tough guy.

I think it's a good idea. And I tell whenever I'm stopped. And that, embarrassingly, has been a few times...

If you're a firm believer in NOT telling, then none of the answers are going to sway you.

1.) It's courteous. When a police officer is walking up to an unknown traffic stop, they have no idea who, or what, is inside. Is this a simple warning, or is my life going to end in the next 30 seconds. You're right... you don't HAVE to tell them anything. But I do it to be polite. I'm volunteering information so they're not surprised. Which is a nice segue to #2.

2.) To eliminate surprise. The last thing the officer (and you) wants is to be surprised by a gun. By telling the officer in advance, you eliminate the unknown and the surprise. And the officer also knows that the person in possession of that gun has paid a fee, taken a class, waited a long time, jumped through some pain in the butt hoops, and went through a background check. Again... it eliminates surprise and reduces the likelyhood that you're a bad guy.

Not all cops, but most cops are gun guys.. you don't go into a profession where you carry a gun, and train with a gun if you're not. I know some are not, but most are. So when you show you're legal and courteous,.. it's appreciated.

I can understand a persons reasons for not wanting to tell. Police are agents of the government. Plus it's a privacy thing, and if it's not required by law, then why volunteer additional information. These are just my reasons.

Does anyone know how Clackamas County Sheriff Craig Roberts feels about conceal carry?
Don't hear much about him.

I was at a neighborhood BBQ with Schriff Roberts there. I'm sure he noticed I was CCW since they are trained for things like that. He didn't ask but he spent a few minutes getting to know me. I'd put him in the friendly category! :)

Zepoll. did you not read all of the other posts that were clear about dispatch running the plates and notifying the officer that the car belonged to someone with a CHL? Since they already know that, what's the point of showing them without being asked?

Zepoll. did you not read all of the other posts that were clear about dispatch running the plates and notifying the officer that the car belonged to someone with a CHL? Since they already know that, what's the point of showing them without being asked?

Here's the thing....they don't always know. Not all LEO's run the plate and driver before they go traffic and not all dispatch centers run the RO of the vehicle. Most dispatch center's run the plate and move on, only running the driver when asked to when/if by the LEO.

People can have a CCW yet not carry all the time. Once they ask you if you are carrying a gun and you say yes it gives a paper trail that you are "known to carry a gun". It's a history on you to be used later if you get into some difficulty like family problems or a divorce.
And where do you get this information? I have never heard of this. Please explain.

I respect officers 100%. As I do everyone else. I show respect by having my hands in plain site and listening to them respectfully and speaking to them respectfully. I always answer with the truth. But I don't volunteer personal information. Keeping in mind I also have the advantage of being a conservatively dressed old white guy with short hair, my tattoos are hidden and drive conservative vehicles.

While this is slightly off topic (out-of-state) my experience with Alaska concealed carry and LEOs is favorable at, of all places - US Customs border station. Customs was several miles inside the USA so it was possible to drive to the Canadian border (but did NOT enter Canada) and return with the required stop at Customs. Alaska law mandates LEO notification upon contact. Before he says anything I inform of my carry status. "What kind of firearm are you carrying? Cool! Can I see it? Nice. Have a nice day." This is the way it should be - mutual respect both ways. I also have a Canadian license and crossing the border either direction with a long gun was a breeze.
There is no need for paranoia. Thank you.
-greenmarine

I did a ride along with a Washington County Sheriffs deputy a few months ago. CHL Holder warning along with a ton more information of the registered owner shows up when they run the plate. I asked the Deputy if he would expect the driver to produce the CHL upon contact. He said it's the courteous thing to do, but not required by law. He also said that he treats every stop as if the driver is armed, CHL or not. He added that if nothing else, a CHL shows the person put in the effort to do the class and background check and likely not a bad person. That particular deputy was also a pro-2nd amendment guy.

I recommend the ride along experience to anyone. It is quite informative and puts you on the other side for a shift. The WA county sheriffs office website has information on how to request a ride along.

On a side/unrelated note, they have a number of job openings for those interested in LE career.

My wife was pulled over in our drive way on her way home.
The officer did a Felony stop on her for a burnt out license plate light.
She was at gun point with her hands in the air.

Long story short,The system tells the cops who has a CHL or FFL and who doesn't.
How they react is another story.

*She has never been arrested
*She has had 1 ticket in 29 years.
*She is a CHL holder and is on the FFL as a 07/02 MFG..

The officer stated that her and I have machine guns, And that was the reason for him ordering her out of the truck at gun point.

99% of cops are maid's.
They are there to clean up the mess,And pick up the money.

My wife was pulled over in our drive way on her way home.
The officer did a Felony stop on her for a burnt out license plate light.
She was at gun point with her hands in the air.

Long story short,The system tells the cops who has a CHL or FFL and who doesn't.
How they react is another story.

*She has never been arrested
*She has had 1 ticket in 29 years.
*She is a CHL holder and is on the FFL as a 07/02 MFG..

The officer stated that her and I have machine guns, And that was the reason for him ordering her out of the truck at gun point.

99% of cops are maid's.
They are there to clean up the mess,And pick up the money.
Officer's have no access to FFL information, unless he has some private hook up with the ATF, which his use of would have been an abuse of power. That officer should have been reported to his supervisor and the media should have been called.

They do actually.

Call the cops on the cops.
What focking fairy tale land do you live in?

I tried that once and the JTTF ended up at my door 2 days later.

That's how it is in Columbia County.
Well it's a different fairly tale then you are living in. Regardless keep going with the story, it just keeps getting better. The JTTF....really? Wow your a big shot.

Been pulled over a few times, each time they knew I was carrying. I also have a dog in the truck and I guess my appearance gives on the impression I'm not to be messed with (though I'm actually a nice guy unless provoked). Anyway, one time the cop got me for speeding (which is reckless driving here at that speed) and I seriously didn't know I was going that fast, and I apologized and told him I was totally in the wrong. He didn't ask IF I was carrying, he asked WHERE and WHAT I was carrying. I told him I was armed to the teeth, the weapons and ammo count (I happened to be coming from a range) and he said "If you get out of the vehicle, I'm just going to start shooting, do you understand?" And I told him yeah, I'd do the exact same thing. He pondered that for a moment and went back to his car to do his business. Came back, let me go. Said it wasn't worth the trouble considering I'm armed and have a dog!

Another time I got pulled over and lo and behold it was the damn chief or something of the Pierce County Sheriff. He held up his rank and asked if I knew who he was and I recognized the rank in military terms so I said, what, you're (whatever rank it was)? He said no, he was the chief or second down or something. Whatever I thought. He also asked about my weapons.

Same thing happened. Said it was too much trouble to screw with me with the dog and the weapons and such. I also kinda think the military veteran plates may help, but who knows. I'm disabled and I think they sort of get it since a lot of those guys were prior service. Go figure, just ruminating.

I count myself lucky for not being dragged through the system. But yeah, they have a suspicion you are armed when they pull you over no matter the driver and they know to check when they identify you.

Oh, and each time they never carded my for my CCL. Only time that happened was at the courthouse.

Been pulled over a few times, each time they knew I was carrying. I also have a dog in the truck and I guess my appearance gives on the impression I'm not to be messed with (though I'm actually a nice guy unless provoked). Anyway, one time the cop got me for speeding (which is reckless driving here at that speed) and I seriously didn't know I was going that fast, and I apologized and told him I was totally in the wrong. He didn't ask IF I was carrying, he asked WHERE and WHAT I was carrying. I told him I was armed to the teeth, the weapons and ammo count (I happened to be coming from a range) and he said "If you get out of the vehicle, I'm just going to start shooting, do you understand?" And I told him yeah, I'd do the exact same thing. He pondered that for a moment and went back to his car to do his business. Came back, let me go. Said it wasn't worth the trouble considering I'm armed and have a dog!

Another time I got pulled over and lo and behold it was the damn chief or something of the Pierce County Sheriff. He held up his rank and asked if I knew who he was and I recognized the rank in military terms so I said, what, you're (whatever rank it was)? He said no, he was the chief or second down or something. Whatever I thought. He also asked about my weapons.

Same thing happened. Said it was too much trouble to screw with me with the dog and the weapons and such. I also kinda think the military veteran plates may help, but who knows. I'm disabled and I think they sort of get it since a lot of those guys were prior service. Go figure, just ruminating.

I count myself lucky for not being dragged through the system. But yeah, they have a suspicion you are armed when they pull you over no matter the driver and they know to check when they identify you.

Oh, and each time they never carded my for my CCL. Only time that happened was at the courthouse.

I think this story is really embellished and more then likely didn't happen this way.

Well it's a different fairly tale then you are living in. Regardless keep going with the story, it just keeps getting better. The JTTF....really? Wow your a big shot.

No,I'm not a "big shot".
I don't like people pointing guns at my wife,Or myself.
I don't like cops,And I don't like the guy's from WA County/JTTF that came to my house to investigate the indecent / Us.

They have access to everything through the fusion centers about anyone they pull over.
Like it or not.

Never been "carded" for my CCL. As for "Only time that happened was at the courthouse" is interesting. How did they know who you were? I've been to the courthouse numerous times and they've never identified me to ask me any personal questions. However they always hand wand me because of my joint replacements.

Here's the thing....they don't always know. Not all LEO's run the plate and driver before they go traffic and not all dispatch centers run the RO of the vehicle. Most dispatch center's run the plate and move on, only running the driver when asked to when/if by the LEO.

Like you would know...

;) :cool:

I think they should all just assume that everyone is armed and then it wouldn't be an issue. In fact, I think that not making that assumption would be foolish in their line of work.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top