JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is mostly for the old guys here because you remember in the past we had fewer choices in guns than we do today. So the question is, "today, what is the best platform gun for today's cartridges? "

In the past it's obvious the 1911 was the best platform for the 45 acp but today there is no end to the platforms for 45s. 357s it was Smith or Colts who had the finest guns but then Ruger came along. The 45 Colt was available in several platforms and now the 44 mag goes from revolvers to autos. Which is the best for you, there is no right or wrong answer as this is your opinion. Add to it what you tried along the way that gave you your opinion.

I gonna start with the 45acp. After years of shooting I still think the 1911 is the best platform for the cartridge. You can build a 1911 to suit your needs and I don't know of any other gun that you can say the same thing about. It has the best trigger of any gun on the market and you can pick the sights you want. Parts and accessories are easier to find and the guns are plentiful.

I tried the Sig 220 and still have it today, they are a fine weapon. The Smith 645 would feed empty cases but the high bore axis gave them so much flip that followup shots were difficult. Glocks run very well and are light to carry but they say not to use reloads.

Pick a gun or caliber and voice an opinion.:D

I grew up with the M1911, so I'm biased, to say the least.

I had a P220 in .45ACP and that was sweet, too, but I'd bought it new, and it had no mana.

My oldest M1911 was a US Navy issue from 1914 - plenty of mana there.

tac

I've got 1911s... love em.
But I have been a CZ-platform fan since the 90s when these things became available.
My pet P220 aside, the SAR K2 45 is no doubt, hands-down, above all others, my favorite. 45.

It's Turkish. It's hard to find (currently). Turkey is (currently) being an A-hole. They may have been discontinued... not sure but discontinued importation was rumored a few mos ago.
Imported by EAA, the SAR K2 45 is an all-metal, 14-rd CZ-platform 45 made by Sarsilmaz in Turkey by an ISO2000 arms builder. It's a damn fine gun that I took a chance on... I did my research after I'd already spent my money. Oops, that was backwards.
Downside: DA/SA with no decocker. Hammer must be manually decocked, or carried Condition 1.
Upside: 14+1 of .45... 'nuff said.
The End.

This big sumbich goes w me to the range regardless... 9mm day? 40 day? Doesn't matter, it goes.

Last Edited:
9x19 in a Hi Power or CZ75

.45 in a Sig 220
Impossible to argue w that. A P220 is is undeniably the "best" factory 45, IMO.
Buuut... it's a lot of gun to carry for 8+1... J/S.

Also agree that a CZ75 or High Power is the "best" 9mm... both personal favorites of mine.

I've recently rekindled my love affair w 3G S&W autos and, although I wouldn't call em superior to a HP or even a CZ, they've got the same "issues" such as a bad factory trigger and magazine disconnect at a much lower buy-in. At least the 3G Smiffs have a decocker... a feature some people detest but others (like me) appreciate. For a real-life EDC, I like the decocker. Even though I carried "Condition One" for many years, I've grown accustomed to the heavy trigger pull of modern striker-fired semiautos. The transition back to traditional DA/SA ain't that hard.
I sometimes forget that there are younger guys that don't remember when strker-fired equalled cheap Lorcin, Davis, or Raven. 380s. Things have progressed a bit, huh.

Last Edited:
I don't think anything took over for the 1911 in today's market for the 45acp.

I think 9mm belongs to your choice of striker fired polymer pistol. If you looked at sales alone I'd say the Glock 17 or 19 probably wins.

I'm pretty sure the 40sw 100% belongs to Glock from police sales alone.

357mag belongs in a wheel gun of your choice. As does 38.

Honestly I don't think much has changed. Certain guns were designed from the start with a caliber in mind, not adapted to it, for that I think they will always dominate for that caliber.

.45 acp - 1911 is the standard in my book. Some others do it well though, including Glock - I love the G21. Tried Sig, but Sigs just don't seem to do well for me, though they are fine quality and nice guns overall. And though not a 1911, I do love my Para double-stack, on it's own and when combined with my MechTech carbine upper :p

Handguns:

9mm: Sig P229, Glock 17

40: Glock 22, Sig P229

45: Sig P220, 1911

357: S&W 686

38: S&W J-Frame (I have a 637 and 642)

Rifles:

Rimfire: Ruger 77/22 or 77/17, CZ455

223: AR15, Tikka T3

243: Tikka T3

270: Winchester M70 Featherweight

280: Remington M700 Mountain Rifle

30-06: Ruger M77 or Winchester M70

Magnums with 2.5 inch cases: Winchester M70 or Ruger M77

Non-dangerous game Magnums with 2.6 inch cases or larger: Remington M700

7.62x38 Nagant

th.jpg

:s0140:

It's mostly about which handgun fits your hand(s). Hold as many as you can; which ever hand gun lines up with the target naturally, may be the best for you...

Secondly, it's also about your mission; competition, concealed carry, showing off at the range, urban combat, nostalgia, etc..

.45 acp - 1911 is the standard in my book. Some others do it well though, including Glock - I love the G21. Tried Sig, but Sigs just don't seem to do well for me, though they are fine quality and nice guns overall. And though not a 1911, I do love my Para double-stack, on it's own and when combined with my MechTech carbine upper :p

^^^ This x10.

Old dogs, new tricks.

I ordered a full size Bi-Tone Springfield XDM .45ACP from CDNN a couple of days ago. It was an excellent price and I'll be stoked when it arrives.

I carried a Commander size 1911 for years, but a while back my arthritis was acting up and I switched to a 9mm. Well I kinda' backed into 45's again by trading into a Sig P250 forty five and started carrying it.

I believe the Springer will be more to my liking and I really like the idea of fourteen big fat slow bullets.

I'll try and get up a range report when I can.

there will always, only, be one true real 45acp and thats the 1911.

Ive never owned or shot one but its my impression the 9mm was meant for the Browning Hi Power...

In 357 I think the Smith&Wesson model 27 is the best. The Smith trigger pull in double action works best for me because you hear and feel the clicks and can get the site picture as you pause on the last click. The Python is a shade more accurate but the trigger in double action stacks until it fires so you have to fight to keep a site picture. Pythons are are work of art but ecause they lock up on both the hand and bolt the guns need action jobs more often than Smiths.

Smiths had great fit and finish along with a heavy frame that helps manage magnum recoil. A variety of sights and grips, triggers and barrel lengths. My choice of best 357:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top