JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is a once fired case. I have found about ( 4 ) of these in the last 40 rounds of PMC I shot. I'm a retired machinist, and I have no idea why it would take two steps to put in a primer pocket and flash hole. It should be done in one step, and this would eliminate the risk of an offset flash hole.
Have any of you seen offset flash holes, and do you think it would cause a different burn affecting the accuracy? All comments appreciated.
Phred flash hole (Medium).jpg

i force my lee deprimer thru it and call'r good.

:rolleyes:

i toss'm or make dummy rounds out of them for training purposes... malfunction training, snap caps etc....

I've also seen them in the PMC "hot shot" ammo.

I used that brass to load for one of my special purpose rifles which is pretty accurate to beyond 400 yds.

Can't say if it affected the accuracy or consistency. I'd like to see a test though using the same load, the only difference being cases with centered vs non centered flash holes.

No issues with ignition... In fact I've seen a video of a guy testing reloads where he left a stuck piece of organic tumbler media(walnut/corncob) in the flash hole to see what happened, and he ended up getting (very slightly) better accuracy than his control(clean flash hole) group. I definitely wouldn't recommend that though. It was likely just coincidence.

I picked up a bunch of once fired G.F.L. stamped .223 brass (Fiocchi) a few months ago and a lot of them were as bad, and some worse than yours. They obviously fired once, and from what i've read its pretty common with fiocchi and PMC brass...they usually work just fine. the only problem is bent/broken de-cappers.
This is why I keep a spare slightly bent recap/sizer rod that I put in the die when I process suspect brass. I just spin the brass till it pops through. Nothing worse than getting into a rhythm, only to cut your session short because you bent or broke your rod(giggity) It's happened to me more than once.

No issues with ignition... In fact I've seen a video of a guy testing reloads where he left a stuck piece of organic tumbler media(walnut/corncob) in the flash hole to see what happened, and he ended up getting (very slightly) better accuracy than his control(clean flash hole) group. I definitely wouldn't recommend that though. It was likely just coincidence.

I picked up a bunch of once fired G.F.L. stamped .223 brass (Fiocchi) a few months ago and a lot of them were as bad, and some worse than yours. They obviously fired once, and from what i've read its pretty common with fiocchi and PMC brass...they usually work just fine. the only problem is bent/broken de-cappers.
This is why I keep a spare slightly bent recap/sizer rod that I put in the die when I process suspect brass. I just spin the brass till it pops through. Nothing worse than getting into a rhythm, only to cut your session short because you bent or broke your rod(giggity) It's happened to me more than once.
The Fiocchi thing surprises me. I've always had excellent results accuracy wise from their factory .223 55gr FMJ!

This is a once fired case. I have found about ( 4 ) of these in the last 40 rounds of PMC I shot. I'm a retired machinist, and I have no idea why it would take two steps to put in a primer pocket and flash hole. It should be done in one step, and this would eliminate the risk of an offset flash hole.
Have any of you seen offset flash holes, and do you think it would cause a different burn affecting the accuracy? All comments appreciated.
Phred View attachment 384207

Phred , that case we made on a Monday, Tuesday or a friday... same as cars, never buy a car that was made on a Monday, Tuesday or a Friday... :eek::eek::eek::p:p:p

I don't keep brass that isn't perfect.

I don't want to break decapping pins or stress my equipment.

Scrap bin for them without a second look.

I do the same after inspecting and finding problems. How do you see them before they are decapped?
X-ray vision.

It's more inspection after decapping and making sure I don't try to use them again after the first go round.

X-ray vision.

It's more inspection after decapping and making sure I don't try to use them again after the first go round.
Ya.. once processed, I figure I'm already past the damaging part, why not just load it? Keep them seperate and shoot them in situations that I may not be able to recover my brass.

Wow, I really didn't think it was such a complex problem. Evidently the issue is more wide spread in it's science than a few factory screw ups manufacturing ammo. This has been an eye opener for me, and I appreciate all the comments and interest. Thanks everyone.
Phred

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads