JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not a big fan of those(moving parts mean more things that can break or go wrong)
This statement right here has a lot of application to all sorts of areas in life.

A couple of things I'll add to my earlier post re. cartridge case headspace gauges.

1. Using them isn't a once and done thing. Dies get out of adjustment, presses develop wear albeit in small amounts. I've had cases "go long" on me often enough that I use the gauges fairly often to check finished product. I also use them frequently for case length check. Because I don't like to go to the trouble of running a case through a trimmer that doesn't need it.

2. The reason I prefer the Wilson gauges, they top out at the mouth of the case. The Hornady gauge is longer on the mouth end and kind of hides the mouth of the case. I guess their idea is go / no go, but doesn't give you a clear look at how uniform cases may be from one to the next in a batch. Yes, the Hornady shows a case or cartridge out of spec, but in a different way. Unless I've missed something.

I failed to mention Lyman gauges earlier. I've only had one of those but it was like the Wilson gauges.

You can do a drop test in a barrel in a pinch if you don't have a case gauge
This is my method with single shots.

This statement right here has a lot of application to all sorts of areas in life.
LOL don't we all know it. :s0005:
A couple of things I'll add to my earlier post re. cartridge case headspace gauges.

1. Using them isn't a once and done thing. Dies get out of adjustment, presses develop wear albeit in small amounts. I've had cases "go long" on me often enough that I use the gauges fairly often to check finished product. I also use them frequently for case length check. Because I don't like to go to the trouble of running a case through a trimmer that doesn't need it.
Yeah I use mine to check the case about every 100 when I'm loading.
2. The reason I prefer the Wilson gauges, they top out at the mouth of the case. The Hornady gauge is longer on the mouth end and kind of hides the mouth of the case. I guess their idea is go / no go, but doesn't give you a clear look at how uniform cases may be from one to the next in a batch. Yes, the Hornady shows a case or cartridge out of spec, but in a different way. Unless I've missed something.
So I think they do it like that since some people press the cases into the gauge if the fit is a little tight, if it won't go down than it's likely the shoulder is too high and if it is hard to push in but goes down than it's likely the case neck is too long. At least this has been my experience with their gauge and it's right so far for me.

It's a DP-10. Hornady 150 gr ballistic tip. Rounds fail to chamber. Marks are present on the case neck. Full length resized with once fired, previously crimped brass.
If the rounds were once fired in your chamber you dont need a headspace gauge, something is wrong in your handloading process. You need a case headspace comparator gauge like the Hornady Lock and Load headspace comparator. Measure your once fired cases headspace before you resize them, also the neck diameter.

SG Ammo is my go to for bulk ammo. FWIW, I use a small base size die with my .308 auto loading reloads. Also make sure to use a case gauge like all the other posters have said. Trimming the case is also essential. Good luck!

If the rounds were once fired in your chamber you dont need a headspace gauge, something is wrong in your handloading process. You need a case headspace comparator gauge like the Hornady Lock and Load headspace comparator. Measure your once fired cases headspace before you resize them, also the neck diameter.
Any body that is going to reload for shouldered rifle rounds has one of these...
1704305082279.png
Or something that can provide the same info.

I've not found a need for one of these, yet. But may be useful for someone getting real picky with a semi auto platform.
A Hornady Over-all Length Gauge.
1704305357879.png

A picture of some of your reloaded rounds would help.
Which brand dies are you using?
Calipers are a must.
A case gauge is great to have. For me, it's a requirement. I use Wilson, Lyman, and some whose name I cannot remember.
I'll check the cases 100% before loading, and 100% after seating the bullet. The extra time it might take doing this is nothing compared to driving out a stuck cartridge. Ask me how I know....
As @po18guy suggested, some chambers are tight. I have experienced this where 0.005" length difference on cases, both within SAAMI spec, one chambers, one does not.
The more common issue I experience is the base is not sized down enough. For my AR10s, I use small base dies and neck crimp with the Lee FCD.
You wrote that these were once fired, crimped? Are you using LC or other military issue 7.62 brass?

Ammo Seek. Create a free profile, and create alerts for what you are seeking at a specific price per round (before tax and shipping).

I am not affiliated with Ammo Seek but I use the site, have alerts set, and it works well.

Also, check vendor reviews on the site. You can exclude vendors from your search results and alerts - I have several blocked/excluded due to comments from others.

A picture of some of your reloaded rounds would help.
Which brand dies are you using?
Calipers are a must.
A case gauge is great to have. For me, it's a requirement. I use Wilson, Lyman, and some whose name I cannot remember.
I'll check the cases 100% before loading, and 100% after seating the bullet. The extra time it might take doing this is nothing compared to driving out a stuck cartridge. Ask me how I know....
As @po18guy suggested, some chambers are tight. I have experienced this where 0.005" length difference on cases, both within SAAMI spec, one chambers, one does not.
The more common issue I experience is the base is not sized down enough. For my AR10s, I use small base dies and neck crimp with the Lee FCD.
You wrote that these were once fired, crimped? Are you using LC or other military issue 7.62 brass?
In this case, a "Go/no-go" gauge might be instrumental. The benefit is that, with tailored ammo, there may be substantial accuracy potential.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top