JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently received an order of 2K 357sig once fired cases for reloading. About 70% are Speer, they have flash holes so small that my RCBS universal de-capping die will not work. Some people say to order a Lee decapper. One person said he uses a drill to enlarge the hole, so it matches other head stamps like Winchester.
My question is how different flash holes might affect my reloads? Different burn rate, pressure, MV? Especially in a mixed head stamp environment.

I recently received an order of 2K 357sig once fired cases for reloading. About 70% are Speer, they have flash holes so small that my RCBS universal de-capping die will not work. Some people say to order a Lee decapper. One person said he uses a drill to enlarge the hole, so it matches other head stamps like Winchester.
My question is how different flash holes might affect my reloads? Different burn rate, pressure, MV? Especially in a mixed head stamp environment.
Got a chronograph? Lacking that, email Speer and get their take on it. Their tech guys love answering questions like that. The LEE decapper works great. Oh! Lyman makes a flash hole uniformer. Have used it myself. But 1400 cases? Ooof. If you already have a case prep machine, there is probably a uniformer with #8-32 threads that will fit. Huge advantage.

Last Edited:
So far my Squirrel Daddy forged tapered de-capping pin in a Lee Universal de-capping die has handled any and all flash holes Without bending or breaking. I had several RCBS pins bend /break in the RCBS version. The original Lee pin didn't last that long, either. The main culprits being 1K 21 .223 Rem brass, along with Norma 9mm. The Squirrel Daddy pins were about $20 for a 3 pack, haven't needed the other two yet, and don't think I ever will.

FW Arms Universal Decapping Die will handle any brass.
Berdan primed brass will end up with a third hole in the center.
My only regret with this die is I didn't get one sooner.
At $7.95 a pop for decapping stems in my Dillon carbide 223 sizing die my last adventure with the 1 k 21 brass would have paid for half of it.
Dillon's 357sig sizing die has smaller diameter pins to accommodate the Speer brass.
As far as Ballistics I don't know how much effect it has.

I don't know about 357 SIG flash holes, but I have dealt with 1K 5.56 and Norma 9mm brass.

For the Igman 1K 5.56 brass, I have a Lyman flash-hole deburring tool that I chuck up in a drill. It takes just a couple seconds per case, and they don't need to be decapped before drilling- once and done.

1688405418934.png

The Norma 9mm brass doesn't bother me. I've read that a lot of people have trouble with it, but all it does for me is slow down a little as it takes more effort to force the pin through the flash hole and back out. I don't recall ever breaking a pin on it. I don't bother using the flash hole tool on it.

Deburring is not an issue for me.
The Speer holes are smaller!

I ordered a Lee de capper with various de capping pins, I'll know Thursday if that solves the problem.

Thanks for the input.

Deburring is not an issue for me.
The Speer holes are smaller!
Sorry, I should have been more clear in my post. The tip of the deburring tool is a sharp little drill bit that cuts the flash hole to the correct size. Since it cuts from the inside, it's easy to enlarge them before decapping.

Of course, if a smaller decapping pin solves the issue, then that's the quicker and easier way. I just thought I'd mention the deburring tool for those that might run across a lot of the Igman 5.56 brass. Those buggers have tiny flash holes that are tough to deal with any other way.

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my post. The tip of the deburring tool is a sharp little drill bit that cuts the flash hole to the correct size. Since it cuts from the inside, it's easy to enlarge them before decapping.

Of course, if a smaller decapping pin solves the issue, then that's the quicker and easier way. I just thought I'd mention the deburring tool for those that might run across a lot of the Igman 5.56 brass. Those buggers have tiny flash holes that are tough to deal with any other way.
F W Arms decapping die

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads