JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My gut level instinct says a CZ 75 in one form or another might be just right, there are two in the classifieds here but I've yet to get a reply to either of my PM's.

If at all possible handle and shoot as many as you can. Try to find something that fits you and that you can shoot well. Best advice is to find something that you personally like.

SAO in particular. Not a big fan of crunch and tickers.
However, I do own a FEG P9R (Bastard step child of a Browning Hi-Power and a S&W 59) Seems to work fine. Magazines are an issue unless you have some skills.

I also own Browning Hi-power. There is so much written on trigger/mag-disconnect/feed ramp that I don't have to go into it here.

I too spent time on a Beretta 92 FS and compact. Pretty much meh. Worked well but nothing to write home about.

I won't touch a S&W 9mm. Personal preference or abject irrational hatred.

Girsan, Tisas, or take your pick 1911 clone. Get over to https://www.1911forum.com/
Just make sure it runs with your desired defense ammunition without fail.
On a personal and subjective note, don't get suckered into a alloy frame or commander length clone. It just isn't worth the headache.

I could buy (3) Glocks with 1000 +/- bucks. Haha.

Unfortunately they are plastic and striker fired.

If I were going for something steel framed and hammer fired I'd probably hold out and save the cash until I could triple it and pick up a Triarc Tri-11. Which is probably why I still don't have one. Haha.

My gut level instinct says a CZ 75 in one form or another might be just right, there are two in the classifieds here but I've yet to get a reply to either of my PM's.
75B For range, camp, house.

Compact & 2075 RAMI for carry.

They all can accept the 75B magazines, which is pretty convenient. Also all have similar hand fitment, which is fantastic (if they fit).

I like the Sig M11-A1 for a non-plastic combat style sidearm. It's 15+1 capacity and has a proven track record. Although it doesn't have adjustable sights, I'm sure that would be easy enough to remedy.

Conceals well too with one of them there Sig custom kydex holsters…

EB5DDAD9-FAE7-40A7-B293-2224988A8AB1.jpeg
2DC0BCE9-91E0-4FC9-AC72-57ECBD1E9D22.jpeg

Random thoughts, I've got a Glock 22 it's my if I need to get a gun put in an evidence locker let it be the Glock gun. I've had a M-96 Beretta and liked it good enough but I don't have it any more and can't remember why not. I've got a couple Sigs that are good and I've got a CZ rifle that is awesome. I've got 3 1911's so most like those. I'm thinking I haven't had a CZ pistol but those I've fondled felt good in my hand so maybe that's the direction I'll go. Of course for the right deal who knows.

Edited to add this would be a pop can and paper plate range toy. Maybe some speed steel and dueling tree when I've got the time.

Last Edited:
Langdon Tactical Beretta 92. Ask @Joe13, I'm a total snob. The double action and single action were on par with my 90s Python. My daily carry is a Wilson Combat CQB Compact in Turnbull blue, and all of my ARs rock Geissele triggers. The stock Beretta is junk without the trigger job. I've read that the Langdon trigger job in a bag is good, but I've only had the Langdon trigger job so I can't comment on that.

The Mecgar mags are 18 rounds standard.

@Nosferatu will agree with me.
Swapping out the hammer spring for a "D" spring or better yet one of LTT's chrome silicon vastly improves the trigger for almost no money. Getting LTT to do the whole thing is of course a whole 'nother level and they are divine!

Out of the firearms you mentioned, Beretta, is the clear standout.
They are a five-hundred-year-old family-owned business for a reason.

I purchased a m9 in 22 on a whim and cannot believe the quality of that gun.

That's funny. When I'm buying guns I also quantify them via how many Glocks they cost. Seems like a good standard of comparison to me
I also gauge all my purchases by how many Glocks I could buy. And if I would rather have the Glocks that's the direction I go. Haha. Probably why I have a few of them.

CZ's are great, but I went with EAA/Tanfoglio. They were imported first and have more of a selection for CZ type guns. They are also slightly cheaper in price without loss of quality. I have owned five. The latest is the EAA Steel Compact.

Your list of desirable traits sounded like you wanted a "Target Shooting/Range handgun" (which could also be a full sized holster carry/duty sized firearm).

IMHO....all of the below choices, will do.
Sig 226/228/229
CZ-75
Browning Hi-Power (and clones)
S & W 5906
There might be more but.....moving on.......

So then, there are some differences/peculiarities about the operations of each. But, you just need to get use to them and of course practice.

Come back again when you narrow it down. I'm sure there will be a lot MORE opinions offered (if you'd want to hear them).

Meanwhile, to me there are also the other considerations. Like.....
Weight, if you're gonna carry it around.
The holster style (safety/retention).
What will fit your drawing style?

BUT, But, but.....what IF.....I actually wanted to CCW it?

Although you could (with the above choices)......me, I'd pick a different handgun at that point. That being said....the M1911 and P225 is not what I have in mind for me.

Anyway.....yeah it's your choice as to what you want and what you envision for your new 9mm. Hell....it's like you're asking the forum to help pick your life partner. BTW, I prefer a brunette (w/o the gray).

1682813184715.png

Note that.....
In my day (gun buying days) I could buy and sell almost at will or depending on which way the wind was blowing. Buying and selling, was just a part of my life style. Sadly.....now a days.....it appears more and more, that the Govt wants to be involved with every step and purchase decision.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I own a lot of 9mm pistols, none of them terribly fancy or expensive, but a numerous bunch. Of all I own, and shot, the Walther PDP is where I've landed. I did upgrade the trigger (Overwatch) and added some Taylor Freelance bits, but out of the box it's fantastic. With a RD is the fastest gun I've shot, and I'm the definition of un-fast :)

If you can get past the plastic bits I think you should handle one.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top