JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I tried finding threads that had discussed open carry on a bicycle, however all came up short and none really answered my question. after reading the oregon state handgun laws it sounds like if you open carry on a bicycle you have to treat it like your open caring on a motorcycle or in a car without a chl. also rules for open carry come into play when it comes to school zones and federal grounds. however on my path today I rode past no such thing. I was actually kind of hoping to get stopped just to question and record the cops reaction because I've never seen a video or red thread discussing the policies of open carry on a bicycle. however everybody I rode past just kinda had that open mouth look. I'm not trying to be 1 of those people that sticks out wants to be a little man that tries to prove a point. I mean really want to exercise my second amendment right to bear arms wherever and whenever and ho
wever I choose.

anyhow I rode about 3 to 4 miles without incident. was somewhat half expecting something to arise.

I'd write more but I'm doing this via android phone. more to come when I can get to my computer.

I don't believe there is a problem with open carry on a bicycle in terms of the state law (besides loaded carry in cities where such practice is prohibited - i.e. Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, etc). There were specific issues with firearms carried concealed (rather transported) on ATV's and motorcycles, which got clarified in this bill that was passed recently:
<broken link removed>
Note that whole section has exemption for the open belt holster carry.

Now with the federal law you've correctly noted - CHL grants exemption to the school zones, where otherwise you are not allowed to have a readily accessible firearm (loader or unloaded). Locked in a container while unloaded would be okay though. Now other federal property, I'm not quite sure what you meant - Post Offices, including their parking lots are off limits for carry with or without CHL. Federal buildings and courts are also off limits. Anything left ?

Post Offices, including their parking lots are off limits for carry with or without CHL.

Pardon my ignorance and the thread hijack, but does this mean that one cannot leave one's concealed gun in a handgun safe in the car when going to the post office, if parked on the post office's lot? Would be good to find out before I'd make such an unintended mistake.

No, that is ok. In your car locked trunk, locked glove box, or safe means you are not in the act of 'carrying.' Walking in the parking lot of a federal bldg/post office with a concealed pistol is not allowed. Hope that makes sense.

No, that is ok. In your car locked trunk, locked glove box, or safe means you are not in the act of 'carrying.' Walking in the parking lot of a federal bldg/post office with a concealed pistol is not allowed. Hope that makes sense.

That's actually incorrect.

39 CFR 232.1:
<broken link removed>

(a) Applicability. This section applies to all real property under the charge and control of the Postal Service, to all tenant agencies, and to all persons entering in or on such property. This section shall be posted and kept posted at a conspicuous place on all such property.

(l) Weapons and explosives . Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

So that means the informed crook will go gun shopping in the row of cars parked neatly just outside the busy post office's deserted parking lot? :)

That kind of makes it harder to make trips to and from the post office for people carrying.

Thanks for the replies!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads