JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I believe there iis a movie being made about this, II had heard it will be released next fall if I remember right.

Very intereting subject for sure. Also interesting is the idea of China and Iran working together on ballistic missiles in exchange for oil.

Another interesting read is "World Made by Hand" by James Howard Kunstler. It takes place many years after an unspecified societal collapse and depicts how a small town has changed and deals with life on a daily basis.

Alas Babylon is perhaps the best written of the genre. A bit dated but still a great read. A classic.

I enjoyed Lights Out, One Second After and Patriots.

Vid: 1:15 min.
2013 Former CIA Director address a symposium on EMP and Grid Protection. Towards the end of the meeting it is mentioned that the "southern fractional approach" (South Pole) for ICBMs is not monitored at all and that a weather balloon can lift a nuke package of a few 100 pounds 30 KM above the US creating a nation wide EMP

Last Edited:
Oh No! Threads are rising from the dead! Better get my shotgun out... just remember only headshots count!

Anyways, on the topic of EMP... it really is a very alarmist topic because it's so poorly understood, and frankly the physics are simply out of reach for most people. The same thing applies to the average person's understanding of "radiation".

Weather balloons don't lift nuclear payloads high enough to take advantage of the compton recoil effect in a way that it can interact with the magnetosphere that is one of the necessary prerequisites for EMP to happen, otherwise the direct radiative output causes a different effect called the photoelectric effect, which can damage circuits and cause faults, but it is radically different than EMP.

All in all, the video is heavy on prediction, but light on details. Is EMP a threat? Yea, I guess, however it exists in that nebulous range right next to global warming and things falling on earth from space.

Too continue the 'blast from the past theme' and having read a few more since...

I'll second BigMayn's recommendation for James Howard Kunstler's 'World Made by Hand' series - 3 of 4 are now out. All are well written and the story lines are not predictable, refreshing in this genre... Not "powder burners" either so those who enjoy more story/character development may find this to their liking.

'Dog Stars' written by Peter Heller, an author (like Kunstler) not typically associated with fictional apocalyptic genre' has written an interesting novel. A supporting character is of the Prepper type that those that frequent this site might identify with. The primary character is generally unheroic - another refreshing break from most in this category. The writing style take some flexibility on the readers part. Overall, I enjoyed it.

'Earth Abides' came highly recommended and was well written but I didn't like it.

299 Days by Glenn Tate. The first four were good to very good. Interesting story, local flavor (WA), generally didn't require the reader to suspend disbelief and despite the author's inexperience - this was his first venture into fiction - wrote a very impressive series of books (10?). I have lost interest in this series as it appears (IMHO) to have fallen into the same trap as many others and become self indulgent. That may have changed in the most recent releases but I have not read them. I quit at six.

'Last Light'
by Alex Scarrow is an easy and quick 400 page read. The writing makes up for some of the shallow parts of the story. It has a few lapses into hollywood style drama, but other than that and good read.

The 'Going Home' series by A. American is another that didn't improve as the story went along. I made it through three. I would recommend the first, but the rest left me wanting as they became very predictable. I believe he is another of our ilk (like Tate) that is NOT a professional writer. In that regard I am very impressed and respect the accomplishment of getting multiple books published. They are entertaining and easy to read though the pace feels rushed in the later books.

Last Edited:
gotta love an oldie, if you have a kendle. I can let you borrow a copy of these books. it will send them to you and then after a month or so it automaticly deletes it and sends it back to me (or at least thats how i think it works.) either way just let me know.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top