Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

One Second After

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Just Jim, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

You guys really need to read this book as it will change your way of thinking about survival. Should a financial collapse or an EMP bomb take place this book will give you a good idea about what you will be up against in my opinion. A very grim outlook.

One Second After covers EMP but the breakdown of society is covered very well in the book.

jim

2. wavo

wavo Portland Member

Funny you should mention it, but that is the book I am half way through right now.
    Some other 'survival fiction' books I've read talk about economic collapse or nuclear bombs...etc but an EMP attack in some ways would be more devastating. It's amazing to think how much an EMP blast would affect. Looking forward to reading more.

3. Katonic

Katonic Kistap WA New Member

Will anyone lend me a copy i promise to return it thanks.

4. powersbj

powersbj Seattle Area Active Member

I dont think that would be the outcome of a financial collapse. The Russia and Argentina examples from the last 20 years are more likely. (IMHO) With some states splitting off (like happened in Russia). If there is a situation that involves an infrastructure collapse then a huge die off is more likely, but it would have to affect the entire nation at the same time, or disasters one after another, say LA quake then Seattle quake then Hurricane in the gulf all in a matter of months. (toss in a Nuke and it would be pandemonium)...

Regardless its really easy to figure out where the large die offs would be, just look at a night sat pic of the US... Everywhere you see lights...

5. hammertime

hammertime Oregon Member

Read the book. It was interesting and makes you think. Some of it was over the top and very little was discussed on how to survive and more on possible human behavior.

6. SICARIO

SICARIO Oregon City Active Member

That book was great. Next on your list should be Patriots. One Second After is a good story of a town that wasn't really prepared for a collapse, Patriots is a story of a group of people that did prepare. Neat to see both sides of the spectrum, and makes me want to be on the prepared side.

7. unionguy

unionguy Portland Active Member

One Second After is great, a good read with some solid information.

Patriots I thought was pretty poorly written, but is packed with tons of good information. It is a survival manual packaged as a fictional work.

8. EZLivin

EZLivin SW of PDX Well-Known Member

I agree with you. If financial collapse is of concern (and the ramifications thereof), people had better read and pay attention to Surviving the Economic Collapse by Fernando Aguirre. I have not read One Second After, so cannot comment on it. I did read Patriots, and consider it to be extremely unrealistic (from a financial collapse standpoint). Patriots has value, but not as a guide for understanding what happens during an economic crisis.

9. Harrytop

Harrytop Tangent Active Member

Both books have there uses, and good info and a both a fun read.
    I just hope that these books get other people to read books like Surviving the Economic Collapse by Fernando Aguirre as you said EZLivin.

10. BiggMayn

BiggMayn Kenmore, WA Member

"One Second After" was pretty well written and made me think a lot. "Patriots" was interesting, but fairly unrealistic in my opinion. Any other books/movies you guys recommend?

11. wavo

wavo Portland Member

Well I've finished One Second After and it was good, a bit sad and unrealistic in parts but good from the social standpoint.

Another good read is Triple Ought which more like a survival manual that reads like a story. Lots of detail on survival equipment, strategies...etc. Not sure how it compares to Patriots.

12. RockKrawler

RockKrawler Gresham Member

I believe Triple Ought is the predecessor to Patriots,along with the Gray 90's,and TEOTWAWKI.
    While the original story was going through it's changes,it kept getting renamed,the first published release was Patriots,Surviving the Coming Collapse. I understand it has been updated to reflect the current political climent.
    I have all the originals as they were posted on the WWW,once the book found a publisher,it was pulled from the sites that hosted.
    Also have a copy of TEOTWAWKI on the shelf,self published by Rawles.
    RK

Here is the time line of his book.

Printing History:
    There was some confusion about the various editions of the novel. Some people have written asking if Patriots is a sequel to the Triple Ought or TEOTWAWKI draft editions. It isn't. Rather, it is a thoroughly fleshed-out edition of the same story line. There is a wealth of new technical detail in Patriots, and even some new characters. Much of the material was suggested by readers from all around the globe who had read one the draft shareware editions. I greatly appreciate their input!
    To avoid any further confusion, let me explain the various iterations of the novel:
    1.) The Gray Nineties was the title of a 19 chapter draft edition of the novel. It was distributed as shareware via the Internet from 1995 to 1997. There were 17,000 copies downloaded.
    2.) Triple Ought was a 27 chapter draft edition of the novel. It was distributed via the Internet from 1997 to early 1998. It was highly successful, with 82,000 downloads logged from the main site and 11 mirror sites in North America and Europe. The various Triple Ought sites were linked by more than 150 web sites dedicated to Christian, patriotic, survival, and Y2K issues. It was reviewed in a variety of on-line publications as well as print publications such as American Survival Guide magazine and The Idaho Observer.
    3.) TEOTWAWKI : The End of the World as We Know It was a 33 chapter expanded self-published edition of the novel, printed and Velo bound in 8-1/2 x 11 format. It included six appendices. Note: TEOTWAWKI was never distributed as shareware. It was sold during 1997 and 1998. This was a limited edition, with just 1,600 copies printed.
    4.) Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse was the title of a 31 chapter (352 page) abridged edition of the novel that was in trade paperback from Huntington House. It was in print from November of 1998 to January of 2005, and was consistently their best-selling title. It went through three editions and nine printings, with 37,500 copies sold.
    5.) Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse (Expanded Edition) was the title of a 33 chapter (384 page) edition of the novel published by XLibris Press. It was in print from November of 2006 to February of 2009, and was their best-selling title for nearly all of that time, with 26,220 copies sold.
    6.) Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse is the title of a 33 chapter (400 page) updated edition of the novel that is now out in trade paperback from Ulysses Press of Berkeley, California. (There will not be a hardback edition.) This new edition includes both a glossary and an index. There were 40,000 copies printed in just the first month that the book was released.

13. vern357

vern357 Near Olympia Member

I agree with the assesment of Patriots. But it is well worth keeping and reading so that you can pass it on to others to help them prepare. I even got my wife to read it, and she is seeing things slightly differently.

CoastRange57 likes this.
  14. nixuser

nixuser nw Member

15. LWYM425

LWYM425 Snohomish county Member

Just listened to One Second After on a trip to Wyoming and back this weekend (library has it on CD). I enjoyed it; something I wouldn't have really thought about. Ironically, I felt less excited about prepping because it seems like the only way to really protect from that incident is to have large groups on the same page and with a plan. Or have a large plot of defend-able, barely accessible property with 1 yr/person water/rations/meds... thats a big bunker... and to defend it? It would be real nice to have an extra family or two on board... but then all those supplies would look might inviting to others.

16. Rix

Rix Tacoma Active Member

I read it over my vacation a month or so ago..... definately bleak, but also very real/possible.

17. BiggMayn

BiggMayn Kenmore, WA Member

Both are good books, with "One Second After" being much more realistic. Another good read/food for thought is "Lights Out" by David Crawford. I think of it being halfway between "Survivors" and "One Second After".

18. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

EMP is just fear mongering. Nothing so dramatic is necessary. As the founding fathers warned many times, when the US falls it will be at the hand of the bankers. That is already in the works. The timer started ticking in 1913 on their 100-year quest. A slow death like a giant blood tic hanging on for every last drop. No drama, no invading armies, no EMP, no (real) terror, no BS. Just a chess game with corrupt global monetary system designed to enslave people with debt and bring nations to their knees without a shot fired. Other than that, enjoy the buffet.

CoastRange57 likes this.
  19. Roxy2711

Roxy2711 Vancouver, WA Member

I really liked 'Lights Out'... couldnt put it down and from a woman's perspective it was probably the best read out of the books I've read on the subject just due to the story line and the character build up. 'One Second After' was also pretty good, but I thought it showed a pretty dismal existance for everyone, prepared or not. I preferred Patriots because it was very specific on the names of items and the reasons why certain items were used and also what they would have used if they had known better. Being newer to this, it was very helpful and I got lots of ideas from it. Although I think the best thing about all 3 books is that it makes you think about things that may have never occurred to you before and they cover many of the bases from people who were totally unprepared to people who had a 'group' well thought out and planned far ahead of time.

Just my 2 cents!

20. nitestocker

nitestocker woodland washington Well-Known Member

does anyone have one of these books i can read we should do something like pay it forward but with books like survival books ,military books what do you think not to get off the subject