JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I believe that's a myth.. commercial Tula is commercial Tula.
But everyone knows all the guns at The Gun Room are superior and special batches are made just for them. Go ask 'em, lol.

Where is Tula ammo manufactured?
Tula ammo (also branded as TulAmmo) is manufactured at the Tula Cartridge Works facility, which is located approximately 100 miles south of Moscow, and has been producing quality ammunition since 1880.

MaxxTech ammo is made in Bosnia, by Pobjeda. I have also seen the name Tula tied to Maxx Tech, but I do not understand why.

Ammunition - Pobjeda Technology

About us

Where is Tula ammo manufactured?
Tula ammo (also branded as TulAmmo) is manufactured at the Tula Cartridge Works facility, which is located approximately 100 miles south of Moscow, and has been producing quality ammunition since 1880.

MaxxTech ammo is made in Bosnia, by Pobjeda. I have also seen the name Tula tied to Maxx Tech, but I do not understand why.

Ammunition - Pobjeda Technology

About us
That is strange. You see how looking at Tula ammo website it gets strange and confusing?

That is strange. You see how looking at Tula ammo website it gets strange and confusing?

Pobjeda is a relatively old cartridge company in Bosnia, and they very much take credit for the MaxxTech ammo. Tulammo USA is an importer of ammunition, and apparently the importer of MaxxTech as well as Tula. But as we see, Tulammo is taking credit that MaxxTech is their own product. On the Pobjeda and MaxxTech websites, however, neither show any manufacturing or distributing connection with Tula. I will continue to question how this connection really works. There has to be something to it, or TULAMMO USA wouldn't be saying it, even on the internet.o_O

Last Edited:
How the plot thickens...

MaxxTech

MaxxTech Ammunition is made in Bosnia and Herzegovina by Pobjeda Technology, a 60-year-old company with a respected reputation in Europe, and has been an ISO 9001 company since 2000. This ammunition is imported by Eurosports LLC, located in Round Rock, TX. The company's U.S. product line is a bit ambiguous and seems to vary with availability. pobjeda-technology.com

TulAmmo USA is manufactured by Russia-based Tula Cartridge Works, which has been in operation since 1880. The company's American offices are located in and imported through, maybe not so coincidentally, Round Rock, TX, which puts its physical address just across Interstate 35 from Eurosports, the U.S. distributor of MaxxTech ammunition. TulAmmo offers non-corrosive, Berdan primed, steel-cased .380 ACP, 9 mm Makarov and Luger, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .223 Rem., 5.45x39 mm, 7.62x39 mm, .308 Win. and 7.62x54 mm R ammunition. You may recognize this brand as a sponsor of light-heavyweight champ Sergey Kovalev. tulammousa.com

I was not able to take a screen shot of this, but I took a photograph. In spite of my searching I have not seen this til just now...Pobjeda is noting Tulammo as one of their many distributors. Convenient, as they are across the street for one another.:confused:

P1040860.jpg

Last Edited:
How the plot thickens...

MaxxTech

MaxxTech Ammunition is made in Bosnia and Herzegovina by Pobjeda Technology, a 60-year-old company with a respected reputation in Europe, and has been an ISO 9001 company since 2000. This ammunition is imported by Eurosports LLC, located in Round Rock, TX. The company's U.S. product line is a bit ambiguous and seems to vary with availability. pobjeda-technology.com

TulAmmo USA is manufactured by Russia-based Tula Cartridge Works, which has been in operation since 1880. The company's American offices are located in and imported through, maybe not so coincidentally, Round Rock, TX, which puts its physical address just across Interstate 35 from Eurosports, the U.S. distributor of MaxxTech ammunition. TulAmmo offers non-corrosive, Berdan primed, steel-cased .380 ACP, 9 mm Makarov and Luger, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .223 Rem., 5.45x39 mm, 7.62x39 mm, .308 Win. and 7.62x54 mm R ammunition. You may recognize this brand as a sponsor of light-heavyweight champ Sergey Kovalev. tulammousa.com

I was not able to take a screen shot of this, but I took a photograph. In spite of my searching I have not seen this til just now...Pobjeda is noting Tulammo as one of their many distributors. Convenient, as they are across the street for one another.:confused:

View attachment 390157
Wow! o_O

How the plot thickens...

MaxxTech

View attachment 390157
Anything on making special lots for walmart?

Probably the larger the bore and the heavier the projectile, the more likely it will not exit the barrel. Larger bore equals more circumference equals more surface area equals more friction equals more pressure required to move the bullet. Maybe a magnum primer would have moved it further.

All good points worthy of a little more examination. I repeated the experiment in .380 ACP in order to minimize the larger bore/heavy projectile effect. I also used a 110 gr jacketed bullet to change the friction effects. While it's not overly scientific to change multiple variables in a test, I think the nature of the question makes that not a big issue. Additionally, I used a magnum pistol primer. The net effect was about the same as the original test in .45ACP. The bullet moved to about .75" from the breech face. Nowhere near poking out the muzzle. I repeated the the test a second time using a 95 gr hard cast bullet. It only moved to about .625, barely clearing the case. For grins, I repeated the test again using the 110gr jacketed bullet and a magnum small RIFLE primer. Much more action, it moved to about .94" from the breech face, a little farther than the previous tests. Granted this limited test is not totally conclusive but it IS a darned good indicator.

I conclude that the OP photo shows the result of a badly reduced charge but not NO charge.
I expect the "primer only" loads, even the .22 Colibri has either a small powder charge or a greatly increased primer charge.

A Jacketed Bullet(less drag) would have gone further; same as the OP photo. I'm not saying it wasn't a partial charge but I've seen it before with nothing but a Primer; especially if it's a Magnum Primer.:):):)

The "less drag" issue with lead vs jacketed is debatable. More force is required to cut the rifling into a jacketed bullet but I'll admit to being surprised at the amount of force it took to drive the cast bullets out of the barrel. These are hard cast bullets so may indeed require more force. Very different from pure lead which I've used to "slug" a bore to measure size. The jacketed bullet did go a whisker further than the hard cast lead. It could be a fit issue rather than friction since I normally size lead +.001.
But you say you've seen it before with nothing but a primer. How did you know? Did you pull the bullet beforehand? If so and you found NO powder, most (outside of an experiment like mine) would not reassemble and attempt to fire it. When I see the minimal effect of a magnum primer, I ain't buying that a primer, even a magnum primer, will push the bullet anywhere near the muzzle. Nevertheless, flukes can happen. I would still treat even a known "primer only" cartridge (how would it be known unless you made it yourself and why the heck would you do that?) the same as a regular load.

As an aside, one instance I know where a primer only WILL clear the barrel is with wax bullets. Almost no weight and no friction. A primer-only would zip them out fast enough to slightly mark the plywood of my Dad's garage door at about 15 feet many years ago. Fun practice but sorta messy cleanup.;)

I can be as prejudiced as anybody. I generally wont touch Aguila and Armscor.o_O
During the great panic I tired one box of the Aguila HV stuff. Since the main place I was buying .22 from almost always had it. Tried it in two of my pistols , did not want to feed it. Had a real strange odor to it too. I just tossed what was left of the box. I have heard many say they love the stuff.

If I remember, I will pull the bullet on one of the Super Colibri rounds, but if I remember right I think I read somewhere that they do indeed have extra primer - which is an easy thing to do with rimfire during manufacture the way I understand it. Most RF rounds have primer at the bottom only, whereas it is easy to ad more such that it extends up the case.

A testament to Ruger..Fired four rounds of light 357 mag ammo through old model Blackhawk, first round lodged, others stacked up behind it about 1/3 way down the 6" barrel. Holly crap...no bulge no damage. Lubed the barrel, drove it out with a brass rod Slugs had become one inside the barrel but no damage to the gun at all. Half jacketed semi wad cutters from 3d Ammo if I recall..they were factory reloads. Don't try that in anything, but if your dumb enough to do it, use a Ruger! :eek:

The only "primer only" squibs I've had pushed the bullet barely past the chamber into the lands. Never had one go down the barrel any further than that, though admittedly, I've never had a primer only squib with .22LR

Federal Premium. I pulled all of these because I wanted the brass. Weighed every charge and here are the results.

IMG_2432.jpg

I generally stick to name brands made in the US. I also buy PPU and Fiocchi, both are well known and I have had good results. I use Wolf, Tula, Norinco and Barnaul for my AKM and SKS. They were made to shoot those brands. I will not shoot steel cased ammo in any other of my guns. I have tried Russian ammo in my Ruger M77 7.62x39 just to make sure they would fire OK if worse came to worse and that was all I had left. I too do not want to ruin an expensive gun with cheap ammo.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top