JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I said it was "one reason", not the only reason.

I have had poor experiences with off name brands. One popular PNW mass reloader sold ammo and I bought some, some years afterwards I was shooting with my daughter and SIL and we were using what was left of it and one of the rounds let go, the web of the cartridge blew out and slightly injured the SIL.

I have bought east euro ammo and some of it was ok, some of it sucked. Bought some S&B at Cabelas - supposed to be 'soft point' - came to find out the jacket on the bullet is thick steel and it will not expand - might as well have bought FMJ - at least some ball ammo fragments.

The east euro ammo - one lot might be okay, but then the next lot they swap components around and the projectiles no long expand in anything.

I could go on, but any more I pretty much avoid Wolf, Tula, and US brands I have not heard of before unless I am just looking for ammo to shoot paper with, and even then, is it worth saving 5 cents per round when shooting a thousand dollar gun that the ammo might blow up, or get a bullet stuck in the barrel, or worse, injure someone?

Sure, no one is perfect and I am sure that there are a few problems been had with Remington, Federal, etc., - it is just statistics, but with their better QC, the chances are reduced. I have yet to see the major US brands sell hunting or self defense ammo where they substituted some cheap steel jacketed or steel cored projectile like S&B did.

YMMV.

Had to try it. 1911, 230 gr hard cast lead bullet, CCI 300 primer, no powder. The bullet just entered the rifling. From the feel of it, when I opensd the action I had to drag the case the rest of the way off of the bullet. In this instance, i couldn't have chambered a second round. But with a wee bit more travel, some one inattentive could chamber another round with unhappy results. 20170909_122821.jpg

Probably the larger the bore and the heavier the projectile, the more likely it will not exit the barrel. Larger bore equals more circumference equals more surface area equals more friction equals more pressure required to move the bullet. Maybe a magnum primer would have moved it further.

Had to try it. 1911, 230 gr hard cast lead bullet, CCI 300 primer, no powder. The bullet just entered the rifling.
A Jacketed Bullet(less drag) would have gone further; same as the OP photo. I'm not saying it wasn't a partial charge but I've seen it before with nothing but a Primer; especially if it's a Magnum Primer.:):):)

Why not Aguila?

I have some of their rimfire, it isn't bad.

I thought they had pretty good QC and quality

That's my point. I get tunnel vision, and sometimes discount certain brands or products, when the next guy loves the stuff. I did not consider the MaxxTech to be substandard, but other folks must think otherwise. I wont touch Armscor, just cuz it's cheap and imported. Can't be any good. Right? Same with Aguila. I've shot it a lot, it's always dirty, but truth is, it shoots as well as any more "respected" brands.

I don't mind imported ammo - look at Lapua. I have some Hirtenberger.

I don't mind cheap - I have some east euro steel case 7.62x39 FMJ ammo that has always worked fine - for what it is.

But when someone markets ammo as hunting or defense ammo and it isn't because they either went cheap on the components or they simply had no clue, then I no longer trust them to give me what I need; reliable self-defense ammo (not ball ammo) and I certainly won't pay more for it.

I used to think S&B was okay until they pulled that steel jacketed crap on me.

As for some off-name brand, I used to think cheap ammo was cheap ammo, but obviously somebody has QC problems. So I now only buy name brands and I don't rely on Wolf, Tula, et. al. to be what they claim to be - some of it might expand, some of it might not. I don't buy that kind of ammo box by box, I buy it case by case, and I want to be relatively sure it will work and that I won't be stuck with a case of ammo that doesn't expand that I paid more for because they claimed it did.

So I buy US name brands when I want self-defense or hunting ammo.

Ahhh man! You guys get all the cool squibs!!! :mad:

I dislike Wolf ammo ever since I picked up four boxes of .45ACP, and every one that I tried had a light charge. Not a one would cycle the action to the point of spitting out the empty! I guess I should be glad for no squib, gave them away!

Why not Aguila?

I have some of their rimfire, it isn't bad.

I thought they had pretty good QC and quality
The aguilla 22lr is some of the most consistant I've ever shot. All of my 22lr's group better with then CCI or Federal.

That's my point. I get tunnel vision, and sometimes discount certain brands or products, when the next guy loves the stuff. I did not consider the MaxxTech to be substandard, but other folks must think otherwise. I wont touch Armscor, just cuz it's cheap and imported. Can't be any good. Right? Same with Aguila. I've shot it a lot, it's always dirty, but truth is, it shoots as well as any more "respected" brands.

I would like an honest review of the armascor ammo from someone local. I considered buying 1K of their 10mm becasue it was the cheapest bulk 10mm I could find online but I won't be very happywith myself if it blows up my 1911.

A Jacketed Bullet(less drag) would have gone further; .
Jacketed bullets have way more friction/resistance in the barrel than a lubed lead one does. For a given powder charge, and like bullets, save their composition, the lead one will go quite a bit faster. It's way softer and obturates/seals the gasses "better" to a degree.

Wish I had some pictures of the 45 acp and 223 my friend bought. The 45 split 40% of the cases long ways and one split completely in half around the circumference. The 223 got lodged in his DD AR. The round went down range but I had to pull back the charging handle while using a screwdriver to pry back the bcg.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top