JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Quality control

POTD: Not Your Average Squib - The Firearm Blog

21151776_10155269401419064_8871093727576649883_n.jpg

21270796_10155269401409064_5722594416720295690_n.jpg

Yeah, it won't bulge until the NEXT shot.
Might have had a little powder. Don't know that just a primer has enough steam to drive the bullet that far down the barrel.
Time for an experiment :eek:

It depends on a number of factors.

I have the Colibri ammo that OQ mentioned - so far it has always exited the barrel and it is primer only.

It depends on a number of factors.

I have the Colibri ammo that OQ mentioned - so far it has always exited the barrel and it is primer only.
True. Is the Colibri ammo you speak of .22rf? Barrel volume, resistence to rifling (lead vs jacketed) etc. all play a part in whether the bullet will clear. As a kid we had some BB caps, .22rf with a case about a quarter inch long and supposedly just primer, they always made it to the 25ft. target.

"One reason why I do not buy cheap off-brand ammo"
Rather like excoriating the many for the sins of a few. That seems to be a popular trend nowadays.
I assume then, I am extremely lucky for having shot tens of thousands of rounds in various calibers of "cheap and off brand ammo" over 40 years or more without ever experiencing a squib though a few failure to fire. Nonetheless, still vigilantly on the lookout. I do diligently vet the ammo I buy best I can, and have turned down many sometimes just because of an uncomfortable feeling with no actual proof.
Be that as it may, I'll keep shooting the cheap stuff and mentally relabel your marquee;
"One reason not to shoot without intelligent training"
Soon as one believes any part of life comes with guarantees, complacency will bite them every time.

As an aside, in the 50"s we had a neighbor that had a bb gun that used possibly rifle primer caps or the like as the only accelerant. Six years older than I, he shot pest raiding their fruit and nut trees. I was a kid, so to me it shot real fine and wish I could remember more about the little rifle.

Bulk 9mm Ammo

I also have shot a bunch of Eastern European ammo of many makers. PPU and S&B comes to mind. I'd put this stuff up against any domestic ammo for quality. A single squib, or even a batch can happen with any ammo, made anywhere in the world. As has been mentioned, be vigilant with any ammo you shoot.

It isn't their brand - others sell it too. I googled it and saw mention of Tula.

Will have to remember not to buy it. I used to shoot a lot of the Russian stuff LONG ago and never had a problem. It always made me nervous though. I long ago stopped buying their stuff since price was so close to stuff I felt better about. Strangely enough the only commercial ammo I have ever had a problem with was US made. While back a pack of the USA Forged made by Win. Did some scary stuff at the range and I ended up tossing what was left of a pack in the trash. Later found I had 2 more here. Sadly the one that was defective I no longer had the box so no idea of lot #. Was thinking of tossing the other 2. Finally took one to the range a while back with my old P-89. Figured since it's made like a tank and I had not shot it in a while it would work to try. All 150 rounds worked fine. Will do the same thing with the other pack I found. Will not buy any more of it. Have not seen any other reports of the stuff anywhere so I have to guess it was some kind of fluke at the factory one day.

Bulk 9mm Ammo

I also have shot a bunch of Eastern European ammo of many makers. PPU and S&B comes to mind. I'd put this stuff up against any domestic ammo for quality. A single squib, or even a batch can happen with any ammo, made anywhere in the world. As has been mentioned, be vigilant with any ammo you shoot.

S&B I have used for as long as I can remember. That stuff has always been great for me. Seems to work great and burn as clean as the US made stuff. Since I got a 10mm it's been my go to ammo for fun. It was for some reason half the price of the "cheap" US made stuff. Ended up buying a case of it after making sure the rifle liked it. Use it in everything from .32 to .45 and have always liked it for both price and function.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top