JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After a year of paying down debts, I was finally in a spot to purchase a gun I've had an eyeball on since they came out; the Ruger GP100 Match Champion in 10mm.

I got her home tonight after 4 days in gun jail, popped a moonclip full of 200gr 10mm and went to close the cylinder, but the rounds weren't going imto the cylinder far enough, sitting slightly proud and preventing it from closing. I tried several other moonclips, they all suffered the same fate. Seems the center of the ejector is too large for the moonclips to slip over.

So before I get to shoot it, off to Ruger it must go. I've already submited the support request, I now het to see how good their CS is.

As a long time S&W owner, this is my first Ruger wheelgun, and the first new gun I've ever had to send to the factory for repair work in 25+ years of gun purchases.

A massive disappointment.

On a side note, the trigger on this thing is absolutely amazing! The overall workmanship is worlds above anything S&W has put out in the last 10 years. Outside the ejector issue, I'm impressed.

After a year of paying down debts, I was finally in a spot to purchase a gun I've had an eyeball on since they came out; the Ruger GP100 Match Champion in 10mm.

I got her home tonight after 4 days in gun jail, popped a moonclip full of 200gr 10mm and went to close the cylinder, but the rounds weren't going imto the cylinder far enough, sitting slightly proud and preventing it from closing. I tried several other moonclips, they all suffered the same fate. Seems the center of the ejector is too large for the moonclips to slip over.

So before I get to shoot it, off to Ruger it must go. I've already submited the support request, I now het to see how good their CS is.

As a long time S&W owner, this is my first Ruger wheelgun, and the first new gun I've ever had to send to the factory for repair work in 25+ years of gun purchases.

A massive disappointment.
Looks like it's a thing...

Yep, it's a clip problem, not the gun.

Got to fit the clip to the gun and many times use a different thickness clip depending on what ammo you are using. There is variation in extractor groove sizing and this can cause problems.

Mixing oil and water is not always a happy situation. I know about the desire for ammo interchangeability, but do they make it in .41 Mag? Will there be a 10 Millimeter Auto-Rim?

10 Millimeter Auto-Rim?

Anything is possible and much is doubtful. But there was the equivalent of a 9mm Parabellum auto rim made by Federal in the 1990's.

Introducing another "thing" into revolvers chambered in semi-auto pistol cartridges can present problems. I've owned several 9mm S&W revolvers and three S&W 10mm revolvers. All without problems.

OP could take a look at some of those two round 10mm clips made for the S&W Model 610. IF THEY AREN'T TOO THICK. These don't involve encircling the cylinder ratchet. I know some Ruger moon clips are pretty thin.

The one 9mm revolver I had some issues with was a Ruger SP101. Not really problems. But there are "early" and "late" 9mm SP101's and they don't use the same moon clips. Good ole' Ruger. The "late" clips are thin and fit into a slight relief in the back of the cylinder that doesn't exist on the "early" one, as I recall. I was able to modify some "early" clips (which cost way less in aftermarket than Ruger "late" clips) to work in a "late" gun by applying some judicious grinding on the edges.

Something to think about is how semi-auto pistol cartridges are designed to work. By head spacing off the mouth of the case. Unlike rimmed revolver cartridges. Which means that the clip being used needs to be designed in such a way as to allow proper head spacing while allowing the head of the cartridge to clear the frame for proper cylinder rotation. Not all revolvers that are chambered in semi-auto cartridges have stepped chambers in the cylinder for head spacing. But in my experience, most do. Two of mine (S&W Model 986) didn't have the step; they had the taper like, say, a .38 Special. That design you absolutely wouldn't be able to shoot without clips because they performed the head space function, not the mouth of the case.

One other thing. The extractor cuts vary on 9mm ammunition. So this sometimes determines how the moon clips will fit in the cylinder.

Ruger is/was big on dual cylinder revolvers...what about the .38-40, the original 40 cal...

I had a couple of those. The Special Edition convertible with a .38-40 cylinder and a .40 S&W cylinder. High polish stainless steel. Very low production, I think made circa 2001. I bought them as a pair. I only fired one of them. I tried the .40 S&W cylinder out to the tune of 12 shots only. But I fired the .38-40 cyl. about 200 or so rounds. It was surprisingly (to me) accurate. They came from Cabela's. They'd bought them from a customer who'd come in to sell them. One of the "outfitters" (clerks) who kinda knew me said, "Say, you buy weird stuff. Got any interest in .38-40?" And it went from there. Both guns were excellent condition and I couldn't make up my mind which one to buy so I bought both. Now as to why someone else would have two of the same rare gun, I can only speculate. One scenario is, it might've been some weekend nimrod who got talked into trying out CAS. And didn't like it. Like the would-be golfer who buys a set of clubs, goes out on the course one time, decides he doesn't like it, and winds up with a near new set of clubs he no longer uses. Or maybe someone just liked the two six shooter look, like Roy Rogers. Until he didn't.

Some time back, I also had another Ruger Special Edition convertible, .45 Colt and .45 ACP. Nice gun, not particularly rare.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top