JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I lived in the Ozarks and owned a marina on Table Rock Lake in the 1970's a lot of newbies got into trapping because of the outrageous fur prices. One guy was running his traps out of an aluminum boat one morning. He shot a raccoon in the head and threw it in the boat and took off down the lake. As he's zooming along the raccoon comes back to life and starts coming at him. He grabs his .22 pistol and shoots it again several times. Of course, water immediately starts to leak into the boat through the several holes he just put in the bottom with his pistol.

This WDC Park cop must be a descendant of his.

They are lightning fast when they want to be.
AND are usually fast at moving AWAY from trouble - so I suspect he had it cornered or backed up and it was probably up on it's hind legs so both he and the raccoon were doing the two-step while he was panicking, shooting indiscriminately and probably screaming at the same time. It was probably a helluva sight!

Officer shot while fighting Racoon...........:eek:

WASHINGTON (WUSA9) - A U.S. Park Police officer shot himself in the foot while trying to fight off a raccoon. It actually turned out to be a bigger ordeal than some may have thought.

The unidentified Park Police Officer was both bit, shot and had to be medevac'd out to an area hospital.

It happened at around noon on Thursday. Someone walking by a community garden near and Western Ridge Trail, just off of Horse Stable Lane, reportedly encountered what they thought was a rabid raccoon, a Parks Police spokesperson confirmed.

Police said the person then went up the hill on Horse Stable Lane to get a Park Police Officer, who went to check things out. That's apparently when the raccoon attacked and the officer fired back. At least four shell casings were recovered.

"There were several police cars and a helicopter and apparently, everyone was nervous," said Andrea Barrett, who lives nearby. Barrett said her daughter heard the gunfire.

At one point, all they knew was an officer had been shot.

"It was scary for a minute but you know, I hope he's okay. It was a relief to find out that it was not a major problem," Barrett said.

A second officer came and shot the raccoon. A helicopter then airlifted the injured officer away. It's not clear how bad the injuries to his foot are or whether he'll need surgery but a spokesperson said he is in stable condition.
Park Police Officer shot himself while fighting off raccoon
Gives new meaning to shooting ones self in the foot. No?

I would have been ASHAMED to take a Helo medivac out over this - what a weenie! Ronald Reagan took a bullet in the chest and walked into the ER on his own.
Andrew Jackson was in a duel - took one in the ribcage, straightened himself up and blew away the other dude before collapsing. The bullet was lodged in him till the day he died because it was too risky to extricate it.

Andrew Jackson was in a duel - took one in the ribcage, straightened himself up and blew away the other dude before collapsing. The bullet was lodged in him till the day he died because it was too risky to extricate it.

Teddy Roosevelt was shot in the chest right before giving a scheduled speech. He told and showed the audience his blood soaked shirt and proceeded to give an hour and a half long speech and only then went to the hospital. They don't make them like these two men anymore much to our loss.

They do indeed run as well as the famous waddle they are known for.
They are quick buggers too.

As for missing three times and shooting yourself in the foot , well sounds like it was a bad day for sure.
Maybe some more range time is in order.
Someone did post a picture of a Officer with his optical sight on backwards , so maybe so more time just getting to know your gun and equipment as well.
Andy

You know, I've been thinking about that very thing myself. Don't these officers carry their "batons" and wouldn't that be the first weapon of choice? Seriously sounds like using firearms when the beast is not a good arms-length away is derelict...

Seriously sounds like using firearms when the beast is not a good arms-length away is derelict...
Derelict?
This was way beyond derelict. This was a man who was nearly driven mad with fear - no longer humanly rational and almost on the same level as the animal itself. He was acting out of primal instinct as the fight or flight condition completely overwhelmed him. I suspect long after this was over he was probably unable to talk, hunkered down in a corner with the soaking sweats, wild eyed, breathing heavily and ready lunge out at whatever he perceived as a threat......

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads