JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Go back a few years and good deal further East and up a bit and you could see where one of our Newfies [the big furry ones, not the ones that sing 'I'se the bye'] rolled over to get up one afternoon revealing a dead and squashed raccoon underneath it. Never noticed a thing, 'parently.

I guess that dropping a 200 pound doggie on a raccoon would do the job well enough.

tac

Go back a few years and good deal further East and up a bit and you could see where one of our Newfies [the big furry ones, not the ones that sing 'I'se the bye'] rolled over to get up one afternoon revealing a dead and squashed raccoon underneath it. Never noticed a thing, 'parently.

I guess that dropping a 200 pound doggie on a raccoon would do the job well enough.

tac
I have a 220 Lb Newfie, I can attest to "dropping" on various critters! Not so much when he decides hunting Skunk might be enjoyable that day!

Well lets see - most likely a city boy who was assigned to this position as a 'stepping stone', never shoots other than required qualifications, is afraid of anything that isn't made of concrete or steel and was probably so scared of the raccoon he was nearly out of his mind with fear.

And one of this new generation of cops who have it so ingrained in them not to use deadly or even less than lethal force, that he probably was going to go hands on with the coon instead of just dropping him out there 10 yards or so. How did that work out ??

He probably was also one of those who was offended that the range master was dipping Copenhagen and dropping a couple of F bombs on the recruits when they could not hit sh*t in the first qualifying.

Um...err...ah...ho...how do you miss a racoon with 3 shots and then put one into your foot...and get bit? Those things don't move that fast, do they? I know they can be nasty. But don't they just kinda waddle around? Or can they run?

They are quick and aggressive, even if not rabid!

Petted a raccoon!

IMG_0500.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
And one of this new generation of cops who have it so ingrained in them not to use deadly or even less than lethal force, that he probably was going to go hands on with the coon instead of just dropping him out there 10 yards or so. How did that work out ??

He probably was also one of those who was offended that the range master was dipping Copenhagen and dropping a couple of F bombs on the recruits when they could not hit sh*t in the first qualifying.

Funny you mentioned copenhagen. I was told on the range that I couldnt spit on the range because it might land on brass and we have to pick up the brass. Im making a spitter out of an old camelback and mounting it on my vest.

A friend of mine made the mistake of boarding up one of his crawlspace vent openings in an attempt to keep a racoon from returning after she left for her nightly foraging.
What he didn't expect was how vicious and destructive a mama racoon would get when she can't get to her hungry offspring.
She literally started to tear the siding clean off his house in a desperate attempt to get back in.
The high pitched keening noise she was making outside his house was incredible to hear.

A friend of mine lived out in the country and used to leave his sliding glass door open when he wasn't home. Came home one night and found a raccoon in his kitchen eating dog food from the bowl. He tried to shoo it out with a broom and ended up with over 80 stitches in his legs and a rabies shot to boot.

The creatures in urban areas are vile carriers of disease and aren't "cute". I don't care for them at all. If they're able, the raccoons like to kill the neighborhood cats. If they're in my back yard, I'll "pop them in the pumpkin". :p

I had a raccoon come after my dog this past spring. After, I did a little online research and found out they are pretty viscous when defending their nest in the presence of dogs. They'll try to gouge out the dogs eyes then roll them over and try to penetrate the dog's chest & kill them.

Had the dog on a leash and I caught the raccoon coming at us out the corner of my eye. I scooped the dog up and the raccoon took a swipe at me, tore through my pants and probably would have cut my leg open if I wasn't wearing boots. Nasty trash panda.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top