JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey folks, new to outdoors blades here but learning quickly!

Here's what I have:

Fixed

My SHTF/survival blade is a Cold Steel SRK in 3V (apparently these are now discontinued, but I got one when they were available a few years back)
Gerber field dressing set (2 blades, nothing fancy)
CRKT minimalist neck knife

and the Tracker X (for now)

Folding

Kershaw Camber (SV30) , for when I need a smaller folder
Benchmade Crooked River (also SV30), my EDC and bigger folder

Junk

I consider these to be low quality "beater" blades that I'll probably sell on the cheap, or give away, because I don't' think they're up to par for serious work

Winchester fixed beater knife (maybe 3-3.5 inches of stainless mystery steel I got years ago on a whim - hey, I liked the look, what can I say)

UST ParaCuda "survival machete" with saw edge on one side (11" of mystery steel)

I picked up the Off Grid Knives Tracker X because it has good reviews, is U.S. made, and looks to be of high quality materials (cryo-treated D2 steel with full tang and micarta scales)

The thing is an overbuilt BEAST and I have zero doubts it would hold up in the field under heavy work and abuse, and would be great at batoning wood and so on.

My concern is the fat belly. It's got a 1.6 inch blade width - this thing is "fat". It's heavy duty and I'm not concerned about breakage; moreso that it won't allow good manipulation for more delicate carving needs.

Again, I'm pretty new to the whole bushcraft/camping knives thing, so I may just have an unfounded concern here, but looking around at other blades for this sort of purpose (bushcraft/camping), I don't see any with as fat a belly.

I'm considering returning it and getting an ESEE JG3 instead, but I'm not sure, so I figured I'd consult some of you fine gents and ladies to see if my thinking is on the right track or if I'm just worried about nothing. Or, if the budget permits, I suppose I could get both - but how many fixed blades does one actually carry at once?

Is this a valid concern that I should be aware of, or am I just worried about nothing because it's an unusually fat blade?

moreso that it won't allow good manipulation for more delicate carving needs.
Looking at the knife, I'd say you shouldn't have to many chores that that knife won't handle. The upsweep of the blade will allow plenty manipulations. :s0155:
Is this a valid concern that I should be aware of, or am I just worried about nothing because it's an unusually fat blade?
Setup in your backyard or somewhere close to home, simulating a bushcraft/overnighter and use the knife for chores to get a good feel of how it will work for you. If it doesn't, you could move it fairly easy here on the forum I'm sure.:D

Looking at the knife, I'd say you shouldn't have to many chores that that knife won't handle. The upsweep of the blade will allow plenty manipulations. :s0155:

Setup in your backyard or somewhere close to home, simulating a bushcraft/overnighter and use the knife for chores to get a good feel of how it will work for you. If it doesn't, you could move it fairly easy here on the forum I'm sure.:D
Great ideas, thanks!

Off Grid Knives are not US made. Some are made in Taiwan and some are chicom
I wouldn't shy away from anything made in Taiwan. Anybody can make a cheap knife these days, and everybody does. With the higher end stuff, Taiwan is right up there with Japan in quality.

Exactly what HA556 said. You'll find that most knives can do most tasks; it's all about what fits your needs/ergos/requirements. There is no universally good knife at any given job. That's why knife designs continue to change and small tweaks are made here and there. The more you actually use different knives in different areas, the more you'll know what suits you personally.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top