JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Let's make some lemonade already.
Man, you've got a great attitude. Kudos. I'm too cheap to lay out $190 for any knife, and certainly I'm not knowledgeable enough to do so. My "go-to" knife is a Havalon Piranta that I got free with a magazine subscription. I almost tossed it in the junk drawer upon arrival. It sure doesn't look like much. The thing is, it is like a surgeon's scalpel and works amazing on skinning elk and bear. (Full disclosure, I did snap a replaceable blade off on a bear hide once.) In fact, you have to be very careful because you can run it into the palm of your hand and not even realize where/why all that blood is flowing. Er, uh, or so I've heard. :oops:

As far as lemonade, you never know. My mom bought me a knockoff Rolex for $20 from a street vendor in D.C. and it was a great looking watch that lasted me several years. My boss at the time had a real Rolex and showed me how to tell the difference (the hands sweep steadily instead of ticking). I didn't care. It's not like we didn't know it was a knockoff to begin with. Hopefully you'll have a similar experience with your new knife and get some great use out of it.

Last Edited:
To me, the biggest "tell" is the blade. Real ones use a san mai (3 layer) technique that makes it impossible to "not" have that full blade length "line" between the harder carbon steel center and softer outer layer.

I'm sure there is some clever way to try and make it "appear" there is the layer line, but in the OP photos it doesn't appear much of any attempt was made to do so.

Man, you've got a great attitude. Kudos. I'm too cheap to lay out $190 for any knife, and certainly I'm not knowledgeable enough to do so. My "go-to" knife is a Havalon Piranta that I got free with a magazine subscription. I almost tossed it in the junk drawer upon arrival. It sure doesn't look like much. The thing is, it is like a surgeon's scalpel and works amazing on skinning elk and bear. (Full disclosure, I did snap a replaceable blade off on a bear hide once.) In fact, you have to be very careful because you can run it into the palm of your hand and not even realize where/why all that blood is flowing. Er, uh, or so I've heard. :oops:

As far as lemonade, you never know. My mom bought me a knockoff Rolex for $20 from a street vendor in D.C. and it was a great looking watch that lasted me several years. My boss at the time had a real Rolex and showed me how to tell the difference (the hands sweep steadily instead of ticking). I didn't care. It's not like we didn't know it was a knockoff to begin with. Hopefully you'll have a similar experience with you new knife and get some great use out of it.
The piranta is endorsed by emergency room physicians everywhere.

Stitches are a great low investment revenue stream.

20200925_181921.jpg

To me, the biggest "tell" is the blade. Real ones use a san mai (3 layer) technique that makes it impossible to "not" have that full blade length "line" between the harder carbon steel center and softer outer layer.

I'm sure there is some clever way to try and make it "appear" there is the layer line, but in the OP photos it doesn't appear much of any attempt was made to do so.
Nope.

I asked dude about the missing "Hamon" , but I thought maybe, just maybe I was snagging a super old 440 stainless cold steel.

I was also distracted by the old timer selling ammo and a holster to the shop when I walked in. I focused so hard on getting first crack at that stuff, I never really looked the knife over. Hard lessons are the easiest to remember.
Lol

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads